Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
david brett

Default login delay without Internet

I have noticed a behaviour of fedora core (5 or 8) not sure which
version, which I would like to stop. If I login on, when the computer
has Internet access, the process happens fairly quickly. If the
computer does not have Internet access, the process takes a few minutes,
considerably longer than if it does have Internet access.

What is going on, more importantly I do I stop this?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:36 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

when i've had that happen, it had to do with my hosts file. what's in
/etc/hosts?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
david brett

I don't see anything here myself

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 PM
"Gavin White"

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:31 PM, david brett <dbrett@tcn.net> wrote:
> I have noticed a behaviour of fedora core (5 or 8) not sure which version,
> which I would like to stop. If I login on, when the computer has Internet
> access, the process happens fairly quickly. If the computer does not have
> Internet access, the process takes a few minutes, considerably longer than
> if it does have Internet access.
> What is going on, more importantly I do I stop this?

Try disabling sshd's DNS lookups in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (uncommment
'UseDNS no').

Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Dns is the reason
I have noticed a behaviour of fedora core (5 or 8) not sure which
version, which I would like to stop. If I login on, when the computer
has Internet access, the process happens fairly quickly. If the
computer does not have Internet access, the process takes a few minutes,
considerably longer than if it does have Internet access.
What is going on, more importantly I do I stop this?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Old 07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
david brett

Ok, how do I stop it? I checked to make sure bind is not running

Dns is the reason

Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM

>Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:46:40 -0400
>From: david brett <dbrett@tcn.net>
>
>Ok, how do I stop it? I checked to make sure bind is not running

Make sure that /etc/nsswitch has
hosts files dns
and not
hosts dns files

is a start.

mark

Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
david brett

Thanks, this was one was correct:
#hosts: db files nisplus nis dns
hosts: files dns

I never thought of this so i did a grep on the directory (/etc) and this
is the result:

grep dns *
jwhois.conf: ".be$" = "whois.dns.be";
jwhois.conf: ".hr$" = "www.dns.hr";
jwhois.conf: ".lu$" = "whois.dns.lu";
jwhois.conf: ".pl$" = "whois.dns.pl";
jwhois.conf: ".pt$" = "whois.dns.pt";
jwhois.conf: ".com.uy$" = "dns.antel.net.uy";
jwhois.conf: "www.dns.hr" {
jwhois.conf: "dns.antel.net.uy" {
krb5.conf: dns_lookup_realm = false
krb5.conf: dns_lookup_kdc = false
Binary file ld.so.cache matches
ltrace.conf:int waddnstr(addr, string, int);
nsswitch.conf:# dns Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
nsswitch.conf:#hosts: db files nisplus nis dns
nsswitch.conf:hosts: files dns
Binary file prelink.cache matches
readahead.early.files:/lib/libnss_dns.so.2
readahead.files:/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.1/components/necko_dns.xpt

I left out the results from services

Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Troy

If you're just logging in, the only thing the host really needs is to
be able to authenticate you. So if you have local authentication, a
local home directory, and no network drives that need to be mounted,
it should work without a network connection.

If it's a DNS issue, something has to be looking to resolve a name.
You don't need name resolution to log in unless you authenticate to
NIS or LDAP (or something similar), or are requesting some network
storage. If you're checking nsswitch.conf, I would check the passwd,
group, shadow and automount lines.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Thomas Fess

Add your server to it's own host file (/etc/hosts) once it resolves itself will login much quicker. I had the same issue, while running a kickstart server on one of my servers and it took forever to login, and the issue was the dhcp server i had running for kickstart, was the first nameserver in the /etc/resolv.conf. The host file fixed it.