Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Default apache & rss feeds

Anyone here know if I have to add something to my apache configuration file so that it serves a .rss? I can get to the site with no trouble, but if I tell it adv.rss, instead of index.php, I get "not found". The file's in the same directory, and ownership & permissions are correct.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Chaim Rieger

m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:

Anyone here know if I have to add something to my apache configuration file so that it serves a .rss? I can get to the site with no trouble, but if I tell it adv.rss, instead of index.php, I get "not found". The file's in the same directory, and ownership & permissions are correct.

rss is a format, not just a standard file,
assuming that the rss file is properly formated, and you want this rss
file to be displayed instead of index.(php/html/etc...) add it to your
index listings in httpd.conf
however i have never tried this, and dont know if apache knows how to
interpret an rss file, you might need a backend (php/asp/java something
or other) converter.

Chaim Rieger

Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 PM
mark

Chaim Rieger wrote:
> m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:
>> Anyone here know if I have to add something to my apache configuration
>> file so that it serves a .rss? I can get to the site with no trouble,
>> but if I tell it adv.rss, instead of index.php, I get "not found". The
>> file's in the same directory, and ownership & permissions are correct.
>>
> rss is a format, not just a standard file,

That I know....

> assuming that the rss file is properly formated, and you want this rss
> file to be displayed instead of index.(php/html/etc...) add it to your
> index listings in httpd.conf

I've tried
AddType application/xml .rss
which I gather from googling is suggested, but still no joy. I'll try adding it
as a doc index when I get back to work manana....

> however i have never tried this, and dont know if apache knows how to
> interpret an rss file, you might need a backend (php/asp/java something
> or other) converter.

Apache isn't doing the interpreting, just handing it off. This whole effort's,
that this is the last part of, has been an incredible
no-one-knows-nothing-but-we're-going-to-do-it....

Thanks for the suggestion.

mark

Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Chaim Rieger

mark wrote:

Chaim Rieger wrote:

or other) converter.

Apache isn't doing the interpreting, just handing it off. This whole effort's,
that this is the last part of, has been an incredible
no-one-knows-nothing-but-we're-going-to-do-it....

Thanks for the suggestion.

mark

in that case just use .htaccess to serve the rss file as the index.

Chaim Rieger

Old 07-21-2008, 11:06 PM
mark

Chaim Rieger wrote:
> mark wrote:
>> Chaim Rieger wrote:
>>
>>> or other) converter.
>>
>> Apache isn't doing the interpreting, just handing it off. This whole
>> effort's, that this is the last part of, has been an incredible
>> no-one-knows-nothing-but-we're-going-to-do-it....
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
> in that case just use .htaccess to serve the rss file as the index.

Hmmmm... *that's* an interesting idea. Thanks again.

mark