Old 07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
"Paul M. Whitney"

Default USB and Blacklist

Can someone please tell me how to disable usb-storage on RHEL 5? I tried
putting an entry in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist of "usb_storage". However that
is not working.

Paul M. Whitney

Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

hey paul-
try putting an entry of "blacklist usb_storage" in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
instead of just "usb_storage" and see if that works.

good luck!

chet

Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 AM
"sunhux G"

In my case, I would like to enable USB device for our
RHEL Ver 5.2. Redhat support told me it's intentionally
disabled for root under Redhat Ver 5.x for security reason
but I'm not convinced though I've not tried with non-root
accounts yet.

I checked /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist & there's no entry
on usb_storage. So how do I enable USB (thumb drive
or 2.5" USB disk) in my case?

I could manually mount the USB device though :
mount -t vfat /dev/sdj1 /mount_point

Not much luck with the redhat support so far despite
sending numerous logs & sosreport.

Whenever I insert a thumb drive, dmesg or messages shows:
date... kernel: SCSI device sdj: ... byte
date... kernel: write protect is off
date... kernel: assuming rive cache write through
date... kernel: sdj: sdl date... kernel: attached SCSI removable disk sdj
date... kernel: attached SCSI sg13 type 0

Thanks

Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
"Paul M. Whitney"

Hi all,

I found a Red Hat briefing on securing RHEL (thank you Steve Grubb) that states to prevent the use of a USB storage device, create a file in /etc/modprobe.d (in my case following his example) no-usb. Inside the file place a line:

install usb-storage /bin/true

I rebooted and tested it. Before the entry my blackberry storage would mount. After the entry, it no longer mounts.

Paul M. Whitney
@