Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Rav

Default top command truncates output

Hi all,
*
I was just executing the*linux "top" command. But some of the messages are getting truncated as follows.
*
*
[root@devbsc2 ~]# top -b -c

*3238 root***** 16** 0* 9036 3032 1128 S* 0.0* 0.3** 0:00.00 /usr/bin/perl /usr/lib/ipaccess/common/wrap --pid=/var/run/ipacc
*3239 ipacommo* 18** 0 61988 7136 5924 S* 0.0* 0.7** 0:00.09 /usr/lib/orbacus/bin/nameserv -ORBconfig /etc/ipaccess/common/or
*3248 root***** 16** 0* 9064 3112 1200 S* 0.0* 0.3** 0:00.00 /usr/bin/perl /usr/lib/ipaccess/common/wrap --PID=/var/run/ipacc

Could somebody help me in getting the complete line.
*
Thank you in advance.
Your response will be appreciated.
*
Rgds,
Rav
*
*
*

Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

make your terminal wider?
what are you trying to do, exactly? i would suggest using ps instead of top.
i don't think top will line wrap, meaning, if you want to get the full
command, you'll have to use ps.

since you can use ps to order by process cpu%, etc, and also get the full
command, you might want to try that

for example, this will list the cpu utilization and the full command, and
sort by cpu utilization:

$ ps -ax -k pcpu -o pcpu,command

or you can shorten it to:

$ ps axk pcpu o pcpu,command

good luck!

chet

Old 07-22-2008, 06:05 AM
Rav

Hi,I would agree that I can use ps command to get the cpu utilization of various process.
But ps command gives me the average cpu utilization. I want realtime cput utiliztion of the processes.
Any other way to get the realtime cpu utilization other than using top.Top is truncating the output as I mentioned in the mail.Thanks,Rav

Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Yong Huang

Rav,

`ps' command gives you cumultive CPU time since process startup. You want the
delta between two samplings. `top' is the ideal command for this unless you
want to roll your own. By "truncate the output", do you mean you want to see a
more complete command line? Pass -c to top. In fact, I always type `top -c'
while others just type `top'. In order to record the output to a file, run it
in batch mode with -b. To get a longer line size, set COLUMNS environment
variable. In my Oracle-Linux Perfmon
(http://yong321.freeshell.org/computer/Perfmon.html), I use this command:
COLUMNS=132 top -cb

132 is the total line size, not just the command part.

Yong Huang

Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
"Tom Greaser"

New tool to an OLD problem
take a look at htop
http://freshmeat.net/projects/htop/

> Hi,I would agree that I can use ps command to get
> the cpu utilization of various process.
> But ps command gives me the average cpu utilization.
> I want realtime cput utiliztion of the processes.
> Any other way to get the realtime cpu utilization
> other than using top.Top is truncating the output
> as I mentioned in the mail.
> Thanks,Rav

Message: 3