Old 07-18-2008, 07:15 PM
"Mad Unix"

Default mondo

Am in the process to move my systems to new Hardware..
moving DELL PowerEdge Server 2850 running RHEL4 with Oracle10g/Apache to a
new Server DELL PowerEdge 2950
I made mondo systems DVD's (Back/Recovery tool) for the PE2850 but am not
able to install it on PE2950
since they have different Model/RAM/RAID/DISK........ and so on

How can i accomplish this mission or do i need to reinstall the server from
scratch?
need help in this issue, it would be really appreciated.

PE2850
=======
[root@intra /]# df -kh
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
267G 49G 205G 20% /
/dev/sda1 99M 13M 82M 13% /boot
none 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm

[root@intra /]# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4149312 2348776 1800536 0 154788 1651432
-/+ buffers/cache: 542556 3606756
Swap: 2031608 160 2031448

[root@intra /]# cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda /media/cdrecorder auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

[root@intra /]# uname -a
Linux intra 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:30:39 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

PE2950 (this can be erased, sample setup only)
=======
[pons@TEST-LINUX2 ~]$ df -kh
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
534G 6.1G 501G 2% /
/dev/sda1 107M 12M 90M 11% /boot
tmpfs 1.7G 0 1.7G 0% /dev/shm

[pons@TEST-LINUX2 ~]$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3365096 729064 2636032 0 111380 462356
-/+ buffers/cache: 155328 3209768
Swap: 524280 0 524280

--
madunix

Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Andrew Bacchi

Mad Unix wrote:

How can i accomplish this mission or do i need to reinstall the server from
scratch?--

Starting from the beginning is alway the best way and always faster than
trying it your way. Installing an OS on a new box takes me 15 minutes
from kickstart. Upgrades and service software another hour at most.

I can have most of my systems rebuilt from zero in one to two hours each.

veritatas simplex oratio est
-Seneca

Andrew Bacchi
Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
phone: 518.276.6415 fax: 518.276.2809

http://www.rpi.edu/~bacchi/

Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

agreed. installing a fresh OS on the new server and moving over any data to
the new one will be quicker and cleaner than trying to deal with all sorts
of old cruft that might come over from a backup copy.

this is when it comes in handy to lay out your filesystem in a way that
makes it easy to migrate/move stuff around. ie: we keep our web/database
stuff under a directory /data, and have standard configs for all of our apps
so we always know what's going to be installed where. it makes fresh
installs happen a lot quicker, and any type of emergency migrations just as
quick and easy,

if you run a bunch of hosts, building up your own flat file software trees
in a repository to manage installs makes it even easier. in your case i'm
not sure if you manage a bunch of hosts, but just a few little suggestions
and ideas

good luck!

chet

Old 07-22-2008, 04:43 AM
"Mad Unix"

Ok, I ll go for fresh OS

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Chet Nichols III <chet.nichols@gmail.com>
wrote:

> agreed. installing a fresh OS on the new server and moving over any data to
> the new one will be quicker and cleaner than trying to deal with all sorts
> of old cruft that might come over from a backup copy.
>
> this is when it comes in handy to lay out your filesystem in a way that
> makes it easy to migrate/move stuff around. ie: we keep our web/database
> stuff under a directory /data, and have standard configs for all of our
> apps
> so we always know what's going to be installed where. it makes fresh
> installs happen a lot quicker, and any type of emergency migrations just as
> quick and easy,
>
> if you run a bunch of hosts, building up your own flat file software trees
> in a repository to manage installs makes it even easier. in your case i'm
> not sure if you manage a bunch of hosts, but just a few little suggestions
> and ideas
>
> good luck!
>
> chet
>
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Andrew Bacchi <bacchi@rpi.edu> wrote:
>

> > Mad Unix wrote:
> >
> >> How can i accomplish this mission or do i need to reinstall the server
> >> from
> >> scratch?--
> >>
> > Starting from the beginning is alway the best way and always faster than
> > trying it your way. Installing an OS on a new box takes me 15 minutes
> from
> > kickstart. Upgrades and service software another hour at most.
> >
> > I can have most of my systems rebuilt from zero in one to two hours each.
> >
> > veritatas simplex oratio est
> >> -Seneca
> >>
> >> Andrew Bacchi
> >> Systems Programmer
> >> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
> >> phone: 518.276.6415 fax: 518.276.2809
> >>
> >> http://www.rpi.edu/~bacchi/ <http://www.rpi.edu/%7Ebacchi/>
> >>

> > --

Your search - madunix - did not match any documents.