Old 06-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Default autofs

On Saturday 04 June 2011 02:40:12 William Kenworthy wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 14:57 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> > Am 03.06.2011 14:25, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> > > Apparently, though unproven, at 14:18 on Friday 03 June 2011, Volker
> > > Armin
> > >
> > > Hemmann did opine thusly:

> > [...]
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > Samba works nicely for ad-hoc connections, the kind of thing Windows
> > > clients would do. And it's a lot more tolerant of connections going
> > > away than NFS.
> >
> > I always was under the impression that NFS is more fault-tolerant on the
> > network because of its usage of stateless UDP connections whereas CIFS
> > usually freezes when the connection is lost. In the end, both issue an
> > IO error, usually crashing an unprepared application. So, in which
> > regard performs CIFS better with interrupted connections?
> >
> > That being said, I always use NFS over TCP because of performance issues
> > with UDP and wireless LAN.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Florian Philipp
>
> No, its ok in a fixed network but you get wierd issues like clients
> hanging on shutdown because the NFS server goes away first, and its an
> administrative pita when it stops working - could be firewall, something
> missed in a new kernel etc.
>
> Ive been using it for mythtv and diskless systems (NFS over TCP) for
> quite awhile and its a fight every few months to find out why host x
> syuddenly doesnt want to play. But otherwise works well use wise in a
> controlled environment.
>
> Laptops are a whole different matter though - you might be better off
> side stepping if its only looking at media by looking into streaming
> rather than storage mapping. Otherwise, Samba is probably the next
> best.
>
> BillK

In home network, you share many types of files ! The first I think is DVD iso,
which is huge (too large to go through coda) and not streamable... (but I
admit it's not the best exemple !)

You share also documents (tax papers scans, ilness and doctors
certificates...). And I share first of all Portage tree and distfiles !

Medias can be streamed, but not that !

--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/

Old 06-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Stroller

On 4 June 2011, at 16:10, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> In home network, you share many types of files ! The first I think is DVD iso,
> which is huge (too large to go through coda) and not streamable... (but I
> admit it's not the best exemple !)

I'm not sure what coda is, but I "stream" DVD .iso files over Samba to my set-top-box. [1] [2]

DVD .iso files are no longer considered "huge". There are now people who rip blu-rays to store them on the NAS - those are each c 50gb.

Stroller.

[1] http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/media-streamers/1281361/ac-ryan-playon-hd-mini
[2] http://www.trustedreviews.com/A-C--Ryan-Playon-HD-Mini_Peripheral_review

Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:11 on Saturday 04 June 2011, Stroller did
opine thusly:

> On 4 June 2011, at 16:10, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> > In home network, you share many types of files ! The first I think is DVD
> > iso, which is huge (too large to go through coda) and not streamable...
> > (but I admit it's not the best exemple !)
>
> I'm not sure what coda is, but I "stream" DVD .iso files over Samba to my
> set-top-box. [1] [2]

coda and andrewfs are the same class of thing - a network connected file
system. Both claim to deal nicely with becoming disconnected, then will just
wait for the other end to come back online.

But without the large exposure that NFS and samba already have, support is
somewhat spotty still.

> DVD .iso files are no longer considered "huge". There are now people who
> rip blu-rays to store them on the NAS - those are each c 50gb.

I have visions of Aunt Tillie trying to do that off a VFAT usb disk using
Windows..... :-0

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com