Old 07-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Default NFS problems between RHEL4 U3 and RHEL4U6

My primary NFS server is running RHEL4 Update3 (unpatched). I just added
a few servers running U6. (The specific release I run is specified by
our IT department). The problem I am seeing is:
When I save an 8MB file from our application on a client RHEL4U3 machine
the save time is about 1 second. When I perform the same test on a
client running RHEL4U6, the save takes about 2 minutes.

As a test, I exported a directory from one of the RHELU6 systems, and
the save times were good on both an update 3 and update 6 client. So,
one solution is to upgrade U3 to U6. (I would probably do a fresh
install). But, that requires some downtime, and the server room is not
accessible after hours. (All disks are removable so I probably could
move the volume group to one of the existing servers to minimize
downtime).

I would like to know if there is some existing NFS issue between U3 and
U6. If I could provide a temporary fix, that would be a better interim
solution until the additional drives I ordered arrive.

--
Jerry Feldman <Jerry.Feldman@algorithmics.com>
Algorithmics (US), Inc

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates ("Algorithmics"). If received in error, use is prohibited. Please destroy, and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to writing and signed by an authorized signatory.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:47 PM

What version of nfs are they running ?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Old 07-14-2008, 03:57 PM

RHEL4U3 is running a 2.6.9-34 kernel with nfs utils 1.0.6-65.
RHEL4U6 is running 2.6.9-64 kernel with 1.0.6-84.

I am also aware that there was a spinlock issue in the Update 3 kernel
that affected us on a several hundred system benchmark a couple of years
ago, with a patch that was supposed to be in Update 6. I don't think the
spinlock bug is the issue, but it does look like some type of locking
issue. The reason I don't think we are running into the spinlock issue
is that we are not driving the systems heavily.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 AM
"Chet Nichols III"

You ever figure this one out?
Chet

Old 07-18-2008, 12:19 PM

No, we never really researched it. We are aware of a spinlock NFS bug
that exists in RHEL4U3 that is fixed in RHEL4U6. This caused some
problems during a benchmark at HP a couple of years ago. I don't know if
this is the same or different problem. But, I do know that serving the
directories from RHELU6 appears to solve our problem, and since we were
planning on upgrading our servers in this office eventually, we'll just
move the upgrade plan up. At the present time, we have another few HDs
on order that should arrive any minute.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM

I've made a bit of progress on this.
On one o the client machines I am currently not experiencing the delay.
But my test on another client I experienced a delay on my home directory
but not in another directory (buildarea/foo) both exported by the same
NFS server> There is a difference in the export options:
/home *(rw,insecure,sync)

/mnts/buildarea *(rw,sync)

Additionally, /home is mounted by fstab on the clients where the
buildarea subdirectories automounted on the clients. I did remove the
insecure locking from the /home entry, restarted ns and remounted /home
on the clients, but there is no change.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:15 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

are the fstab entries the same on both machines (the working one and the
not-so-much working one)?

talk to you soon-

chet

Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 PM

No. In the case where saving the file takes minutes, there is an fstab
entry:
server:/home /home nfs rw,sync,bg
In the other one, I have it set up for automounting:
Auto.master
/mnts /etc/auto.mnts --timeout=60
Auto.mnts:
* -fstype=nfs,rw,nosuid,soft server:/mnts/&

The fstab and auto.* entries are identical on all of our systems.

The one differences is on the one client system that is running RHEL4U3,
writing to /home in our test is very fast (about 1 second) where writing
to /home/<user> on the RHEL4U6 servers takes minutes. But, writing to
/mnts/buildarea/<user> is also takes about 1 second. On difference is
the options. I can try a few things.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:14 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

for the one where file saving takes minutes, remove the 'sync' option and
replace it with 'async' - see if that fixes the problem
talk to you soon-

chet