-   -   IBM server slows down (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/123631-ibm-server-slows-down.html)

"Pankaj Batra" 07-12-2008 05:37 PM

IBM server slows down

Hi Techies.

We have RHEL4 installed on Xeon based IBM servers x series with 1GB RAM and 36GB*4 SCSI with RAID5 configured.
And clients connect server thru telnet session.
After 7-8 hours of working server seem to slow in response and over all working slows down.
Please note TIBCO also works here for updations.We have to restart the server in order to make the working faster.

Is there anyway in which :-
1.We don have to restart and refresh all the processes or memory ?
2.How many telnet connection(maximum) can be made on the server at a time?
3.Is there any way to close 6 consoles including graphical and only one console works with networking ?

Please do reply..

Thanks in advance.

Pankaj.

mark 07-12-2008 06:16 PM

IBM server slows down

Pankaj Batra wrote:
> Hi Techies.
>
> We have RHEL4 installed on Xeon based IBM servers x series with 1GB RAM and
> 36GB*4 SCSI with RAID5 configured. And clients connect server thru telnet
> session. After 7-8 hours of working server seem to slow in response and over
> all working slows down. Please note TIBCO also works here for updations.We
> have to restart the server in order to make the working faster.
>
> Is there anyway in which :- 1.We don have to restart and refresh all the
> processes or memory ? 2.How many telnet connection(maximum) can be made on
> the server at a time? 3.Is there any way to close 6 consoles including
> graphical and only one console works with networking ?
>
> Please do reply..

Well, first question: how many telnet sessions? And, while we're at it, why
haven't you forced them to ssh from telnet? It's a pretty transparent change.

mark

"Manish Gupta" 07-13-2008 10:51 AM

IBM server slows down

For this "3.Is there any way to close 6 consoles including
> graphical and only one console works with networking ?"

You may use single user mode!!!

/etc/inittab can be edited for setting default runlevel to 1.

Thanks & Regards,

Manish Gupta | Sr. Software Engineer | manish_sgupta@satyam.com |
+91.9923.888.168 |

" Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts
can be counted "

Andrew Bacchi 07-13-2008 12:05 PM

IBM server slows down

Some basic system troubleshooting is needed here.

What is the load average, and is it fairly constant over time? "uptime"
will report load average.
Issue "top", what is the CPU load? And how many CPUs does the machine
have? Are they all busy?

How much memory is used, how much swap? "free" will give this info.
Is the /tmp directory full, or any other directory? "df" command .
Is there an errant process, that is eating up all resources? "top" again.

Then look at your telnet connections, and see if the network connection
is causing your slowness.

--
veritatas simplex oratio est
-Seneca

Andrew Bacchi
Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
phone: 518.276.6415 fax: 518.276.2809

http://www.rpi.edu/~bacchi/

"Nabeel Moidu" 07-13-2008 12:11 PM

IBM server slows down

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Andrew Bacchi <bacchi@rpi.edu> wrote:
> Some basic system troubleshooting is needed here.
>
> What is the load average, and is it fairly constant over time? "uptime"
> will report load average.
> Issue "top", what is the CPU load? And how many CPUs does the machine have?
> Are they all busy?
> How much memory is used, how much swap? "free" will give this info.
> Is the /tmp directory full, or any other directory? "df" command .
> Is there an errant process, that is eating up all resources? "top" again.
>
> Then look at your telnet connections, and see if the network connection is
> causing your slowness.

I'd add sar to that list. Gives you a good way to observe the
building-up of system resource utilization

--
Thanks and Regards
Nabeel Moidu