Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

Default How is bogomips computed?

Do you happen to have hyperthreading enabled?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Yong Huang

Hi, Chet,

I think the ht flag in /proc/cpuinfo indicates whether I have hyperthreading.
So yes, I have it:

$ grep -w ht /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
cx16

On a different server with exactly same OS release and kernel version and also
ht flag in cpuinfo, all CPUs' bogomips are the same:

$ grep bogomips /proc/cpuinfo
bogomips : 6675.48
bogomips : 6666.32
bogomips : 6666.20
bogomips : 6666.40

However, I think this is very relevant. The server that shows different
bogomips uses AuthenticAMD CPUs while the second server I mentioned uses
GenuineIntel. I checked two other boxes, one AMD one Intel, and found the
"problem" on AMD only.

Katsu, I read the full article you suggested. It doesnt' seem to answer my
question.

I think I can assume AMD CPUs generally run slower with the same CPU rating, if
we test many types of applications and compute an average.

Yong Huang

*********** Chet Nichols III wrote ***********

Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 AM
"Chet Nichols III"

hey yong-
i'd suggest disabling hyperthreading. it might "look" good, but in reality,
you probably wont see any performance benefits at all- and this would be one
reason. i'm not sure if the process that computes bogomips runs across all
the processors in parallel, but if it does, it would explain why your AMD
architecture looks funky (since there's not going to be a full 100%
available cpu available for it). try disabling hyperthreading and checking
out the result for bogomips, i'm interested to see what it says

chet