Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 AM
"sunhux G"

Default RAID5 partition not visible from dmesg/"fdisk -l" but visible from ESX GUI

Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of a friend.

He has a 5 TB SCSI hotplug disk that's configured as hardware
RAID 5.

>From ESX GUI, he could see 4.6TB usable space (ie nett after RAID 5).

After installing Linux OS, he could see 2TB mounted but ESX GUI
showed 4.6TB.

So he issued "fdisk -l" & "dmesg" (actually "dmesg | grep sector")
that I suggested & /dev/sda is shown as 2TB but nothing was shown
for the remaining 2.6TB.

Where's the 2.6TB gone to?

I always thought "fdisk -l" would show every disk resource that's
presented (regardless on what kind of filesystem, be it raw or
GFS or UFS or ...) or I'm missing something?

Thanks