Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 PM
"Paula J. Lindsay"

Default utmp and wtmp

Hi everyone,
I have a scientist that runs an instrument in her lab. She uses utmp
and logrotate to rotate the wtmp file and then
at the beginning of the month, she records everyone's logging in and out
usage on her RHE 5 machine so she
can charge them for the use of the instrument. Sometimes students and
other doctor's run experiments all night.
Well, I have her RHE 5 machine rotating every month at the beginning of
the month, it does this at midnight.
The problem is that whoever is logged in at that time is dropped and
the utmp doesn't continue to record his/her
time on the machine. They could be on there for another 5 hours, but it
doesn't pick up that user again. Is there
any way to make the utmp pick up that user or continue recording that
user when the logs are processing again?
I know this is somewhat of an irritating quirk, but it is important to
her to find out when the person logs back out
so she doesn't charge him too much or too little. Any
help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many

thanks in advance.
Paula

--
Paula J. Lindsay