Old 06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
"Scott Ruckh"

Default Password Complexity in Linux

Hi All

I would like to setup passwd complexity on our Linux servers .

Min 8 characters - 1 upper , 1 digit and 1 Lower character

Last used 4 passwords should not be used

And also i want to set Passwd expiry for user accounts which are already
created and These passwd complexity should apply to users which has alreay
been created .

I Need your valuable help and advice

Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Stephen Carville

On Monday 30 June 2008 9:19 am, karthik keyan wrote:
> Hi All
> *
> I would like to setup passwd complexity on our Linux servers .
> *
> Min 8 characters - 1 upper , 1 digit and 1 Lower character
> *
> Last used 4 passwords should not be used
> *
> And also i want to set Passwd expiry for user accounts which are already
> created and These passwd complexity should apply to users which has alreay
> been created .
> I Need* your valuable help and advice

How many servers? If you have more than about six or eight I'd suggest
Kerberos for passwords. Create a policy for what you want and apply it to
the relevant user accounts. The downside if you cannot easily migrate your
existing passwords so you'll need a transition plan that won't upset your
users.

It is possible to use both local passwords and Kerberos in parallel so you can
put new users on Kerberos and migrate old users at the next password change.

--
Stephen

Old 07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Andrew Elliott

Last 4 passwords should not be used is set in pam_unix.so like so:

Password sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so remember=4

Does anyone know where pam saves the previous passwords?? I can't find it
(yes, I've tried /etc/security/opasswd thanks)..

Old 07-08-2008, 06:39 AM
"Madan Thapa"

check:
http://www.puschitz.com/SecuringLinux.shtml#EnforcingStrongerPasswords