Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 PM
andrew heggie

Default ssh

alan c wrote:

>> I was going to start by setting up a ssh server on it and trying to log
>> in from this hardy box but openssh doesn't seem to be in the repository,
>> is there another program that's supported and just the same?
>

> I am just recently doing this for an elderly friend (88years , first
> PC......, wants to do shopping on tesco direct).

It's for my father-in-law 86, he was going to buy a pc but his son had
windows virus problems and he's been put off. I wanted to give him a pc and
tell him not to worry about anything as he couldn't affect it. I've
installed kubuntu hardy with 3.5 on the gifted box, from a member of my
lug. It's p4 1.6G Gateway. It's just updating now and that's one of the
reasons I'm not keen on this full install, because it will receive a lot of
updates for programs he'll never use and I might have to access the
internet by a 3g modem as he hasn't broadband yet. I've stuck with Kubuntu
because I can use linux but am not at all competent with it. I've minded to
stick puppy in the cd tray and a usb stick and run from that, possibly with
no hdd. We were recently given a talk at a lug meeting by a chap that had
done something similar but used debian and cut it down himself. He also
configured some high contrast skins and changed system fonts to large
verdana.

> It is going quite
> well so far. My initial problems were related to the difficulty or
> maybe impossibility - of using my local LAN to do tests. The nearly
> final tests were to use the ful internet address of the target PC (ssh
> server machine) trying to log in to it, using my laptop (ssh client
> machine), where both machines were (conveniently) inside my own local LAN.

This is going to challenge me, I've not even networked computers before
despite having up to four in the house. I'm using two routers, dhcp
disabled on one, on the same subnet which gives me wireless and 6 ethernet
ports.

By full internet address do you mean something like
bill@nameofcomputer.fullipaddressortnumber?

> I am using vnc in a ssh tunnel, and non standard ports

Could you pad this out a bit please?

I'd like to know the order of doing things to make the ssh tunnel and then
run vnc whilst at home and then I guess I'll take the pc over at christmas!

AJH

Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday 19 December 2008, andrew heggie wrote:
> Do you mean it was already installed?
>
> How do I check?

No, the server is not installed by default. You need to install it.

openssh-server

Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM
alan c

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2008, alan c wrote:
>> At home with a vigor router, it worked ok. Relief. However, on
>> location (a long way away!) when setting up the gifted machine (ssh
>> server machine) the tests did not work. Two days spent, wasted, with
>> lots of tests and research. I now find that quite a few routers do not
>> allow such (test) connections using a full internet IP address to a
>> machine located within its LAN. I finally had to use an independent
>> internet connection (via a mobile phone in fact) for final tests,
>> before I travelled back home.
>
> Most routers will allow you to set this up.
>
> You will ssh to the address of the router on a specific port (I wouldn't use
> 22, use something like 12000+
>
> The router will see the incoming on that port and pass the incoming off to any
> machine you choose. In this case, only the one machine but you still need
> to specify it. On a multimachine network, you can pass the ssh to one
> machine and then ssh to others if need be.
>
> You might also want to set up a domain name with dyndns (free) so you can
> always find her machine. You can probably tell the router to handle the
> dyndns too. Most routers will do that.

yes thank you.
For the record, I can verify that at least one particular router does
not play ball from inside its LAN:

NETGEAR DG834GT 108 Mbps Super G Wireless ADSL Router
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391

Old 12-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 21 December 2008, alan c wrote:
> yes thank you.
> For the record, I can verify that at least one particular router does
> not play ball from inside its LAN:
>
> NETGEAR DG834GT 108 Mbps Super G Wireless ADSL Router
> --

I'll have to take your word for it... (no Netgear router here although I love
their switches and other gear)

But I'd be very surprised if it didn't.... They have to stay competitive.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Francesco Pietra

Hi:
Is any 'send file' command to make so that two machines (an amd64
multisocket and a simple i386, both lenny) talk scp with one another
through a router (attached to adsl) fully without asking the password?

With 'fully' I mean that command:

ssh target_machine_name date

gives the date without asking a password. The mere sending id_rsa.pub
to create the authorized_keys file only works (without asking the
password) for command:

ssh target_machine_name

but if 'date' is also requested, the password is needed (at least in my hands).

I know how to solve the issue, i.e. by cross appending the
authorized_keys files, in order that each machine knows itself. But
there must be a simpler way.

Why that need? Certain parallelized computational codes only work if
the above 'fully' is met. I came once again across the issue in
reinstalling i386 following a died HD.

Thanks

francesco pietra

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
"David A. Parker"

Is any 'send file' command to make so that two machines (an amd64
multisocket and a simple i386, both lenny) talk scp with one another
through a router (attached to adsl) fully without asking the password?

With 'fully' I mean that command:

ssh target_machine_name date

gives the date without asking a password. The mere sending id_rsa.pub
to create the authorized_keys file only works (without asking the
password) for command:

ssh target_machine_name

but if 'date' is also requested, the password is needed (at least in my hands).

I know how to solve the issue, i.e. by cross appending the
authorized_keys files, in order that each machine knows itself. But
there must be a simpler way.

That's odd. I am able to get commands to work over SSH without a
password. I copied the contents of ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub on my work
computer into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on my home computer. Now I can SSH
from my work computer to my home computer like this:

ssh me@myhomepc date

And it logs into my home computer and then runs the date command. I did
not have to do anything with the authorized_keys file on my work
computer to make this happen.

- Dave

--

Dave Parker
Utica College

Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Brett Viren

Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> writes:

> ssh target_machine_name date
>
> gives the date without asking a password. The mere sending id_rsa.pub
> to create the authorized_keys file only works (without asking the
> password) for command:
>
> ssh target_machine_name

In the case of the first command, are you running it interactively or
non-interactively from, say, cron or a batch job system?

If the latter is the case, you either must use passphrase-less SSH
keys (insecure) or load an ssh-agent once interactively and cause all
subsequent, non-interactive access to find and use that loaded agent.
The keychain package might help here.

OTOH, if you are indeed running the remote "date" command
interactively then I have no clue....

Luck,
-Brett.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
"David A. Parker"

Christopher Browne wrote:

[...]

That's all appropriate.

You only need to modify authorized_keys in both places if you want the
symmetric relationship that either machine can log into the other.

Correct.

I mentioned that I did not have to alter the authorized_keys file on my
work PC in response to the OP's statement:

>>> I know how to solve the issue, i.e. by cross appending the
>>> authorized_keys files, in order that each machine knows itself. But
>>> there must be a simpler way.

I have no idea why you would need to do something like that. I have
never had to "cross-append" anything in order to make this work. I just
wanted to clarify for the OP that the keys only need to be shared in one
direction to do this.

He seems to indicate that the passwordless login works just fine unless
he tries to run a command through the ssh command line. I don't know
why that would make a difference.

He also mentioned scp, and I think the better alternative would be to
run sftp with a batch file.

- Dave

Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM
"David A. Parker"

Francesco Pietra wrote:

[...]

Big difference for me. As I said in my original post, certain
computational parallelized codes (from major supercomputer centers,
latest versions) do not work unless the two machines talking to one
another also know themselves. Usually, the "two machines" are my
desktop (let say deb32) and my parallel computer (let say deb64)
talking to one another via a router.The only way I found (perhaps
suggested by the author of the code, I don't remember) to login
passwordless (my arrangement is also passfraseless) to the parallel
computer - and vice versa - while requesting the date, is to take the
deb32 keys from deb64 and append them to those of deb32 itself, and
vice versa. I admit that most codes do not care about that, but it
happens that I am using "at this very moment" a code that has such
idiosyncrasy.

When I said "there must be a simpler way", I meant to make that
appending intrinsic in the configuration of ssh. Otherwise, I have to
stay to ssh if I want (as I need) also to access supercomputers.

I am surprised that others are able to login while running a command
by simply sending "one-way" the keys. As I am no system expert, I
assume that I am not setting up correctly ssh.

regards
francesco

Francesco,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to ssh from your PC
running 32-bit Lenny to a node in a parallel computing cluster running
64-bit Lenny. Is this correct?

I'm not sure why a simple one-way shared key would not work if you are
trying to run a command on the parallel computer from your PC. You
shouldn't need two-way authentication unless the parallel computer needs
to run something on your machine using the same tunnel. But I might be
misunderstanding how you have things set up.

- Dave

P.S. I sent this reply back to the lists so this conversation wouldn't
go completely off-list, in case someone else is interested too.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
consul tores

hello

If i do # ssh from Lenny against Slackware or OpenBSD, then i get only
1 key, but if i do # ssh from Lenny to Lenny, then i receive 2 keys!
It happens when i am outside of my lan which has a router DLink as
gateway, when i test it at inside, i recieve only 1 key for Slackware,
OpenBSD and Lenny.
Checking rsa ids, they are the same in both cases.

Could somebody please tell me what could be wrong, or if it is normal?

Thanks in advance.

Tue Mar 2 13:30:01 2010