Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM
andrew heggie

Default ssh

Nils Kassube wrote:

> andrew heggie wrote:
>> I was going to start by setting up a ssh server on it and trying to log
>> in from this hardy box but openssh doesn't seem to be in the
>> repository, is there another program that's supported and just the
>> same?
>
> You are looking for the package "openssh-server".
>

> Nils

Yes but it's not in any of the repositories I have (by default) in my
sources list.

AJH

Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Nils Kassube

andrew heggie wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > andrew heggie wrote:
> >> I was going to start by setting up a ssh server on it and trying to
> >> log in from this hardy box but openssh doesn't seem to be in the
> >> repository, is there another program that's supported and just the
> >> same?
> >
> > You are looking for the package "openssh-server".
>
> Yes but it's not in any of the repositories I have (by default) in my
> sources list.

Strange - it is in main. Can you post your "/etc/apt/sources.list"?

Nils

Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 PM
andrew heggie

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Strange - it is in main. Can you post your "/etc/apt/sources.list"?

Yes, please see below, I guess it's the "restricted" bit that's wrong?

Andrew Heggie
#
# deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080702.1)]/
hardy main restricted

# deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080702.1)]/
hardy main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
# deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
## users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security multiverse

Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Matthew Flaschen

andrew heggie wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Strange - it is in main. Can you post your "/etc/apt/sources.list"?
>
> Yes, please see below, I guess it's the "restricted" bit that's wrong?

No. Restricted is an /additional/ repo section. It isn't needed here,
but it won't cause any problem either. Your sources.list looks fine.
The file is at http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssh/
and should be installable normally:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install openssh-server

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Nils Kassube

andrew heggie wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Strange - it is in main. Can you post your "/etc/apt/sources.list"?
>
> Yes, please see below, I guess it's the "restricted" bit that's wrong?
[...]
> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted

No, the restricted part is OK. This is how it looks here:

deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main universe restricted
multiverse

Each word after hardy is the repository name and there may be several in
one line. Did you use the "sudo apt-get update" command or reload in
synaptic?

Nils

Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 AM
andrew heggie

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Did you use the "sudo apt-get update" command or reload in
> synaptic?

No I used adept as per standard install of hardy. I thought using this gui
made removal of installed programs easier.

I'm now installing from the commandline as Matthew directed and it seems to
be going alright.

Andrew Heggie

Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Matthew Flaschen

andrew heggie wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Did you use the "sudo apt-get update" command or reload in
>> synaptic?
>
> No I used adept as per standard install of hardy. I thought using this gui
> made removal of installed programs easier.
>
> I'm now installing from the commandline as Matthew directed and it seems to
> be going alright.

Great, but Adept should have worked too... The equivalent would be
click "Fetch updates", then when that's done, right click the package,
and click install, then finally Apply Changes. Not sure why
openssh-server didn't show up for you.

Best,

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
alan c

andrew heggie wrote:
> I've been gifted a used, pc with which to experiment. Long term I intend to
> give it to someone and connect to it as a remote desktop to give support.
> I'll probably use xubuntu or kubuntu with many of the packages removed to
> reduce time taken for updates online. It will be for an elderly person who is
> only likely to browse, e-mail and possibly write letters.
>
> I was going to start by setting up a ssh server on it and trying to log in
> from this hardy box but openssh doesn't seem to be in the repository, is
> there another program that's supported and just the same?

I am just recently doing this for an elderly friend (88years , first
PC......, wants to do shopping on tesco direct). It is going quite
well so far. My initial problems were related to the difficulty or
maybe impossibility - of using my local LAN to do tests. The nearly
final tests were to use the ful internet address of the target PC (ssh
server machine) trying to log in to it, using my laptop (ssh client
machine), where both machines were (conveniently) inside my own local LAN.

At home with a vigor router, it worked ok. Relief. However, on
location (a long way away!) when setting up the gifted machine (ssh
server machine) the tests did not work. Two days spent, wasted, with
lots of tests and research. I now find that quite a few routers do not
allow such (test) connections using a full internet IP address to a
machine located within its LAN. I finally had to use an independent
internet connection (via a mobile phone in fact) for final tests,
before I travelled back home.

The remote machine has 384MB ram and is a 400 MHz PIII and is not too
bad with ubuntu 8.04.1
I am using vnc in a ssh tunnel, and non standard ports (not port 22)
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391

Old 12-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday 19 December 2008, alan c wrote:
> At home with a vigor router, it worked ok. Relief. However, on
> location (a long way away!) when setting up the gifted machine (ssh
> server machine) the tests did not work. Two days spent, wasted, with
> lots of tests and research. I now find that quite a few routers do not
> allow such (test) connections using a full internet IP address to a
> machine located within its LAN. I finally had to use an independent
> internet connection (via a mobile phone in fact) for final tests,
> before I travelled back home.

Most routers will allow you to set this up.

You will ssh to the address of the router on a specific port (I wouldn't use
22, use something like 12000+

The router will see the incoming on that port and pass the incoming off to any
machine you choose. In this case, only the one machine but you still need
to specify it. On a multimachine network, you can pass the ssh to one
machine and then ssh to others if need be.

You might also want to set up a domain name with dyndns (free) so you can
always find her machine. You can probably tell the router to handle the
dyndns too. Most routers will do that.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 PM
andrew heggie

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> openssh is on hardy.... * don't know what you are running.

Do you mean it was already installed?

How do I check?

AJH