Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 PM
"Scott Ruckh"

Default udev and net/tun device

I am trying to make mode, ownership, and permissions persistent between
reboots on the /dev/net/tun device.

CONFIG_TUN and CONFIG_INET_TUNNEL are both configured as modules in the
current kernel.

I have tried adding the following to /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:

KERNEL="tun", NAME="net/%k", OWNER="root", GROUP="tundev", MODE="0660",
OPTIONS+="ignore_remove"

I have also tried using KERNEL== with the remaining syntax the same.

I have tried to make a 52-tun.rules file with the above syntax.

I tried adding the following to /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions:

# virtual network devices OpenVPN/VirtualBox
net/tun*:root:tundev:0660

Everything I have tried has netted the same results after a reboot.

crw------- 1 root root 10, 200 Jun 29 12:41 /dev/net/tun

Obviously I am looking for this result:

crw-rw---- 1 root tundev 10, 200 Jun 29 12:41 /dev/net/tun

This is on a CentOS 4.6 (x86_64) server.

Anyone have any idea why this is not working?