Old 06-28-2008, 10:16 AM
"Scott R. Ehrlich"

Default wine and security ?

What are people's experiences and insights to running, say, firefox 3 under
Wine and viewing sensitive information (medical records, credit report, etc) vs
viewing the same information in the native host OS?

SSL is _always_ monitored at all times.

I ask because some web sites refuse to accept a connection from a non-Windows
source, and wine has the ability to fool.

Are warnings/errors/issues such as these anything to be concerned about for
viewing such information mentioed above?

scott@scott-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox$
./firefox.exe

fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x7dad398c, overlapped 0x7dad3968):
stub

fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
errle:CoGetClassObject class {591209c7-767b-42b2-9fba-44ee4615f2c7} not
registered
errle:CoGetClassObject class {591209c7-767b-42b2-9fba-44ee4615f2c7} not
registered
errle:CoGetClassObject no class object {591209c7-767b-42b2-9fba-44ee4615f2c7}
could be created for context 0x3

fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:resource:GetGuiResources (0xffffffff,0): stub
[...]
fixme:font:ExtTextOutW flags ETO_NUMERICSLOCAL | ETO_NUMERICSLATIN | ETO_PDY
unimplemented
[...]

fixme:font:get_nearest_charset TCI failing on 20000000
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET face->fs.fsCsb[0] =
20000000 file = /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-gujarati-fonts/aakar-medium.ttf

fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
errle:CoGetClassObject class {4125dd96-e03a-4103-8f70-e0597d803b9c} not
registered
errle:CoGetClassObject class {4125dd96-e03a-4103-8f70-e0597d803b9c} not
registered
errle:CoGetClassObject no class object {4125dd96-e03a-4103-8f70-e0597d803b9c}

Old 07-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Pat Riehecky

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 06:16 -0400, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> What are people's experiences and insights to running, say, firefox 3 under
> Wine and viewing sensitive information (medical records, credit report, etc) vs
> viewing the same information in the native host OS?
> SSL is _always_ monitored at all times.
>
> I ask because some web sites refuse to accept a connection from a non-Windows
> source, and wine has the ability to fool.
>
> Are warnings/errors/issues such as these anything to be concerned about for
> viewing such information mentioed above?

In the past I have used

To fool sources that require IE. YMMV but it was great for me for a
time.

Pat

Old 07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
hike

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Pat Riehecky <prieheck@iwu.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 06:16 -0400, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> > What are people's experiences and insights to running, say, firefox 3
> under
> > Wine and viewing sensitive information (medical records, credit report,
> etc) vs
> > viewing the same information in the native host OS?
> > SSL is _always_ monitored at all times.
> >
> > I ask because some web sites refuse to accept a connection from a
> non-Windows
> > source, and wine has the ability to fool.
> >
> > Are warnings/errors/issues such as these anything to be concerned about
> for
> > viewing such information mentioed above?
>
> In the past I have used

> To fool sources that require IE. YMMV but it was great for me for a
> time.
>
> Pat

wine is only as good as its underlying OS.
it must be much better the Windows!

other browsers will also act like IE: opera (and maybe konquerer?)