FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default wget

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 15:28 -0400, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
> Jeremiah Dodds, Wed 2012-05-02 @ 15:18:03-0400:
> > A poking, or an RTFM, sure. All I'm saying is that what you posted
> > doesn't help the noob. RTFM helps the noob. Pointing out that this
> > place has nothing to do with Mint, even mockingly (even at Drepper
> > levels of intensity), helps the noob.
> >
> > "Making a joke" that is only a joke to people who know enough not to
> > do the thing the noob did does not help the noob.
> >
> > It's not your responsibility to help, it's also not your
> > responsibility to hinder. We were all dumb noobs once, and I for one
> > don't feel good if I plant misinformation in someones head,
> > intentionally or not.
>
> +1
>
> Not replying at all is preferable to replying sarcastically in a manner
> that might be misconstrued (however naively) as serious advice.

+1
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Don deJuan
 
Default wget

On 05/02/2012 12:44 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 15:28 -0400, Taylor Hedberg wrote:

Jeremiah Dodds, Wed 2012-05-02 @ 15:18:03-0400:

A poking, or an RTFM, sure. All I'm saying is that what you posted
doesn't help the noob. RTFM helps the noob. Pointing out that this
place has nothing to do with Mint, even mockingly (even at Drepper
levels of intensity), helps the noob.

"Making a joke" that is only a joke to people who know enough not to
do the thing the noob did does not help the noob.

It's not your responsibility to help, it's also not your
responsibility to hinder. We were all dumb noobs once, and I for one
don't feel good if I plant misinformation in someones head,
intentionally or not.


+1

Not replying at all is preferable to replying sarcastically in a manner
that might be misconstrued (however naively) as serious advice.


+1

seriously to funny if the OP would have taken my joke seriously it would
have/should have lead him to doing more research. Which is what they
were lacking, obviously by posting to Arch mailing lists. It is not like
I said rm -rf / or some malicious suggestion. The +1's are as pointless
and unhelpful to the OP as my "joke"
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
angelinheavysyrup ‎
 
Default wget

On Wed, 02 May 2012 22:44:21 +0300, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:



On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 15:28 -0400, Taylor Hedberg wrote:

Jeremiah Dodds, Wed 2012-05-02 @ 15:18:03-0400:
> A poking, or an RTFM, sure. All I'm saying is that what you posted
> doesn't help the noob. RTFM helps the noob. Pointing out that this
> place has nothing to do with Mint, even mockingly (even at Drepper
> levels of intensity), helps the noob.
>
> "Making a joke" that is only a joke to people who know enough not to
> do the thing the noob did does not help the noob.
>
> It's not your responsibility to help, it's also not your
> responsibility to hinder. We were all dumb noobs once, and I for one
> don't feel good if I plant misinformation in someones head,
> intentionally or not.

+1

Not replying at all is preferable to replying sarcastically in a manner
that might be misconstrued (however naively) as serious advice.


+1




+1

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Kevin Chadwick
 
Default wget

On Wed, 02 May 2012 14:47:34 -0400
Calvin Morrison wrote:

> does anyone know how to start the car?

Find the pointy metal thing probably in pocket.conf and put it in the
port next to the steering wheel and turn it on. If that fails you might
have to push I'm afraid.


p.s. Diesel for trucks and cars are two very different things ;-)
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default wget

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 12:50 -0700, Don deJuan wrote:
> It is not like I said rm -rf / or some malicious suggestion. The +1's are as pointless
> and unhelpful to the OP as my "joke"

Agree!
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
angelinheavysyrup ‎
 
Default wget

On Wed, 02 May 2012 22:50:30 +0300, Don deJuan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com>
wrote:



On 05/02/2012 12:44 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 15:28 -0400, Taylor Hedberg wrote:

Jeremiah Dodds, Wed 2012-05-02 @ 15:18:03-0400:

A poking, or an RTFM, sure. All I'm saying is that what you posted
doesn't help the noob. RTFM helps the noob. Pointing out that this
place has nothing to do with Mint, even mockingly (even at Drepper
levels of intensity), helps the noob.

"Making a joke" that is only a joke to people who know enough not to
do the thing the noob did does not help the noob.

It's not your responsibility to help, it's also not your
responsibility to hinder. We were all dumb noobs once, and I for one
don't feel good if I plant misinformation in someones head,
intentionally or not.


+1

Not replying at all is preferable to replying sarcastically in a manner
that might be misconstrued (however naively) as serious advice.


+1

seriously to funny if the OP would have taken my joke seriously it would
have/should have lead him to doing more research. Which is what they
were lacking, obviously by posting to Arch mailing lists. It is not like
I said rm -rf / or some malicious suggestion. The +1's are as pointless
and unhelpful to the OP as my "joke"






He has already got an answer to his question, the +1s are just votes
against people

confusing new users.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Marek Otahal
 
Default wget

Could this fruitful debate finally STFU please?

--
Marek Otahal )
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Greg
 
Default wget

On 5/2/2012 4:07 PM, Marek Otahal wrote:

Could this fruitful debate finally STFU please?


+1
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Kevin Chadwick
 
Default wget

On Wed, 02 May 2012 16:30:39 -0400
Greg wrote:

> > Could this fruitful debate finally STFU please?
> >
> +1

Chuckle
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org