Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Götz Reinicke

Default 2.5 TB iSCSI Raid - one partition problem

Hi,

I got a new iscsi raid with 6*500GB disks and set it up as one volume.

The volume got mounted, but I only can create a partition of about 275GB ...

I tried fdisk (util-linux 2.13-pre7), the original parted and a fresh
compiled parted 1.8.8, but I do get errors from parted or fdisk only
allows me to create the partition of the mentioned size. If I try to
create a second partition, I do get the fdisk-message, that there are no
more sctors free. Verifieing the partition tabel with fdisk shows
2440073647 unused sectors.

The system is centos 5.2 with the latest updates.

Any hints on how to get one partition?

Thanks a lot and best regards

Götz Reinicke
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Mathildenstr. 20
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. Christoph Palmer, MdL, Minister a.D.

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt

Old 06-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 27Jun2008 17:02, G?tz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de> wrote:
> I got a new iscsi raid with 6*500GB disks and set it up as one volume.
> The volume got mounted, but I only can create a partition of about 275GB ...
> I tried fdisk (util-linux 2.13-pre7), the original parted and a fresh
> compiled parted 1.8.8, but I do get errors from parted or fdisk only
> allows me to create the partition of the mentioned size. If I try to
> create a second partition, I do get the fdisk-message, that there are no
> more sctors free. Verifieing the partition tabel with fdisk shows
> 2440073647 unused sectors.
>
> The system is centos 5.2 with the latest updates.

The format supported by fdisk is the ancient DOS partition format.
I suspect you have reached its maximum size.

If this is the issue, I had the same problem on a Gentoo system some
time ago. From memory, I had to:
- rebuild the kernel with CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y and
CONFIG_OSF_PARTITION=y (I think)
- reboot in the new kernel so that it would understand
an OSF partition
- repartition the disc with gparted (not fdisk) to use the
new partition format
- proceed as normal thereafter

This is all from memory, but essentially I needed to change partition
table formats.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743