Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Red Hat Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/)
-   -   sendmail (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/11130-sendmail.html)

"Mad Unix" 12-03-2007 11:35 AM

sendmail
 
am trying to setup sendmail server on RHEL5
i get the following message
Dec 3 15:23:02 linux1 sendmail[5218]: daemon MTA: problem creating SMTP
socket
Dec 3 15:23:02 linux1 sendmail[5218]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting

How should I setup my sendmail.cf



divert(-1)dnl
dnl #
dnl # This is the sendmail macro config file for m4. If you make changes to
dnl # /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, you will need to regenerate the
dnl # /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file by confirming that the sendmail-cf package
is
dnl # installed and then performing a
dnl #
dnl # make -C /etc/mail
dnl #
include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`setup for linux')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
dnl #
dnl # Do not advertize sendmail version.
dnl #
dnl define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG', `$j Sendmail; $b')dnl
dnl #
dnl # default logging level is 9, you might want to set it higher to
dnl # debug the configuration
dnl #
dnl define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `9')dnl
dnl #
dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.mail.com.jo')dnl
dnl #
define(`confDEF_USER_ID', ``8:12')dnl
dnl define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST', `True')dnl
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES', `True')dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
define(`STATUS_FILE', `/var/log/mail/statistics')dnl
define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following allows relaying if the user authenticates, and disallows
dnl # plaintext authentication (PLAIN/LOGIN) on non-TLS links
dnl #
dnl define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
dnl #
dnl # PLAIN is the preferred plaintext authentication method and used by
dnl # Mozilla Mail and Evolution, though Outlook Express and other MUAs do
dnl # use LOGIN. Other mechanisms should be used if the connection is not
dnl # guaranteed secure.
dnl # Please remember that saslauthd needs to be running for AUTH.
dnl #
dnl TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
PLAIN')dnl
dnl #
dnl # Rudimentary information on creating certificates for sendmail TLS:
dnl # cd /usr/share/ssl/certs; make sendmail.pem
dnl # Complete usage:
dnl # make -C /usr/share/ssl/certs usage
dnl #
dnl define(`confCACERT_PATH', `/etc/pki/tls/certs')dnl
dnl define(`confCACERT', `/etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt')dnl
dnl define(`confSERVER_CERT', `/etc/pki/tls/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
dnl define(`confSERVER_KEY', `/etc/pki/tls/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
dnl #
dnl # This allows sendmail to use a keyfile that is shared with OpenLDAP's
dnl # slapd, which requires the file to be readble by group ldap
dnl #
dnl define(`confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL', `groupreadablekeyfile')dnl
dnl #
dnl define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl
dnl define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `5d')dnl
dnl define(`confQUEUE_LA', `12')dnl
dnl define(`confREFUSE_LA', `18')dnl
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
dnl FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa', `dnl')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh', `/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following limits the number of processes sendmail can fork to
accept
dnl # incoming messages or process its message queues to 20.) sendmail
refuses
dnl # to accept connections once it has reached its quota of child
processes.
dnl #
dnl define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `20')dnl
dnl #
dnl # Limits the number of new connections per second. This caps the
overhead
dnl # incurred due to forking new sendmail processes. May be useful against
dnl # DoS attacks or barrages of spam. (As mentioned below, a per-IP address
dnl # limit would be useful but is not available as an option at this
writing.)
dnl #
dnl define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `3')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The -t option will retry delivery if e.g. the user runs over his
quota.
dnl #
FEATURE(local_procmail, `', `procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
dnl #
dnl # For using Cyrus-IMAPd as POP3/IMAP server through LMTP delivery
uncomment
dnl # the following 2 definitions and activate below in the MAILER section
the
dnl # cyrusv2 mailer.
dnl #
dnl define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl
dnl define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS', `FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback
address
dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
dnl #
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=smtp.mail.com, Name=MTA')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 587 for
dnl # mail from MUAs that authenticate. Roaming users who can't reach their
dnl # preferred sendmail daemon due to port 25 being blocked or redirected
find
dnl # this useful.
dnl #
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 465, but
dnl # starting immediately in TLS mode upon connecting. Port 25 or 587
followed
dnl # by STARTTLS is preferred, but roaming clients using Outlook Express
can't
dnl # do STARTTLS on ports other than 25. Mozilla Mail can ONLY use STARTTLS
dnl # and doesn't support the deprecated smtps; Evolution <1.1.1 uses smtps
dnl # when SSL is enabled-- STARTTLS support is available in version 1.1.1.
dnl #
dnl # For this to work your OpenSSL certificates must be configured.
dnl #
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen on the IPv6
loopback
dnl # device. Remove the loopback address restriction listen to the network.
dnl #
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`port=smtp,Addr=::1, Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')dnl
dnl #
dnl # enable both ipv6 and ipv4 in sendmail:
dnl #
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA-v4, Family=inet, Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')
dnl #
dnl # We strongly recommend not accepting unresolvable domains if you want
to
dnl # protect yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on computers
dnl # that do not have 24x7 DNS do need this.
dnl #
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
dnl #
dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
dnl #
dnl # Also accept email sent to "localhost.localdomain" as local email.
dnl #
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following example makes mail from this host and any additional
dnl # specified domains appear to be sent from mydomain.com
dnl #
dnl MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl
dnl #
dnl # masquerade not just the headers, but the envelope as well
dnl #
dnl FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
dnl #
dnl # masquerade not just @mydomainalias.com, but @*.mydomainalias.com as
well
dnl #
dnl FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
dnl #
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomainalias.com)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomain.lan)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
dnl MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl



--
madunix
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

"Herta Van den Eynde" 12-03-2007 09:08 PM

sendmail
 
On 03/12/2007, Mad Unix <madunix@gmail.com> wrote:
> am trying to setup sendmail server on RHEL5
> i get the following message
> Dec 3 15:23:02 linux1 sendmail[5218]: daemon MTA: problem creating SMTP
> socket
> Dec 3 15:23:02 linux1 sendmail[5218]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
> opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting
>
> How should I setup my sendmail.cf
>
>
>
> divert(-1)dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # This is the sendmail macro config file for m4. If you make changes to
> dnl # /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, you will need to regenerate the
> dnl # /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file by confirming that the sendmail-cf package
> is
> dnl # installed and then performing a
> dnl #
> dnl # make -C /etc/mail
> dnl #
> include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
> VERSIONID(`setup for linux')dnl
> OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # Do not advertize sendmail version.
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG', `$j Sendmail; $b')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # default logging level is 9, you might want to set it higher to
> dnl # debug the configuration
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `9')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
> dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
> dnl #
> define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.mail.com.jo')dnl
> dnl #
> define(`confDEF_USER_ID', ``8:12')dnl
> dnl define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
> define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
> define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST', `True')dnl
> define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES', `True')dnl
> define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
> define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
> define(`STATUS_FILE', `/var/log/mail/statistics')dnl
> define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
> define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
> define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
> define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The following allows relaying if the user authenticates, and disallows
> dnl # plaintext authentication (PLAIN/LOGIN) on non-TLS links
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # PLAIN is the preferred plaintext authentication method and used by
> dnl # Mozilla Mail and Evolution, though Outlook Express and other MUAs do
> dnl # use LOGIN. Other mechanisms should be used if the connection is not
> dnl # guaranteed secure.
> dnl # Please remember that saslauthd needs to be running for AUTH.
> dnl #
> dnl TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
> PLAIN')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # Rudimentary information on creating certificates for sendmail TLS:
> dnl # cd /usr/share/ssl/certs; make sendmail.pem
> dnl # Complete usage:
> dnl # make -C /usr/share/ssl/certs usage
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confCACERT_PATH', `/etc/pki/tls/certs')dnl
> dnl define(`confCACERT', `/etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt')dnl
> dnl define(`confSERVER_CERT', `/etc/pki/tls/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
> dnl define(`confSERVER_KEY', `/etc/pki/tls/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # This allows sendmail to use a keyfile that is shared with OpenLDAP's
> dnl # slapd, which requires the file to be readble by group ldap
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL', `groupreadablekeyfile')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl
> dnl define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `5d')dnl
> dnl define(`confQUEUE_LA', `12')dnl
> dnl define(`confREFUSE_LA', `18')dnl
> define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
> dnl FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
> FEATURE(`no_default_msa', `dnl')dnl
> FEATURE(`smrsh', `/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
> FEATURE(`mailertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(redirect)dnl
> FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
> FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
> FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The following limits the number of processes sendmail can fork to
> accept
> dnl # incoming messages or process its message queues to 20.) sendmail
> refuses
> dnl # to accept connections once it has reached its quota of child
> processes.
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `20')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # Limits the number of new connections per second. This caps the
> overhead
> dnl # incurred due to forking new sendmail processes. May be useful against
> dnl # DoS attacks or barrages of spam. (As mentioned below, a per-IP address
> dnl # limit would be useful but is not available as an option at this
> writing.)
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `3')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The -t option will retry delivery if e.g. the user runs over his
> quota.
> dnl #
> FEATURE(local_procmail, `', `procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
> FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
> EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # For using Cyrus-IMAPd as POP3/IMAP server through LMTP delivery
> uncomment
> dnl # the following 2 definitions and activate below in the MAILER section
> the
> dnl # cyrusv2 mailer.
> dnl #
> dnl define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl
> dnl define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS', `FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback
> address
> dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
> dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
> dnl #
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=smtp.mail.com, Name=MTA')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 587 for
> dnl # mail from MUAs that authenticate. Roaming users who can't reach their
> dnl # preferred sendmail daemon due to port 25 being blocked or redirected
> find
> dnl # this useful.
> dnl #
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 465, but
> dnl # starting immediately in TLS mode upon connecting. Port 25 or 587
> followed
> dnl # by STARTTLS is preferred, but roaming clients using Outlook Express
> can't
> dnl # do STARTTLS on ports other than 25. Mozilla Mail can ONLY use STARTTLS
> dnl # and doesn't support the deprecated smtps; Evolution <1.1.1 uses smtps
> dnl # when SSL is enabled-- STARTTLS support is available in version 1.1.1.
> dnl #
> dnl # For this to work your OpenSSL certificates must be configured.
> dnl #
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen on the IPv6
> loopback
> dnl # device. Remove the loopback address restriction listen to the network.
> dnl #
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`port=smtp,Addr=::1, Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # enable both ipv6 and ipv4 in sendmail:
> dnl #
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA-v4, Family=inet, Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')
> dnl #
> dnl # We strongly recommend not accepting unresolvable domains if you want
> to
> dnl # protect yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on computers
> dnl # that do not have 24x7 DNS do need this.
> dnl #
> FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # Also accept email sent to "localhost.localdomain" as local email.
> dnl #
> LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The following example makes mail from this host and any additional
> dnl # specified domains appear to be sent from mydomain.com
> dnl #
> dnl MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # masquerade not just the headers, but the envelope as well
> dnl #
> dnl FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # masquerade not just @mydomainalias.com, but @*.mydomainalias.com as
> well
> dnl #
> dnl FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
> dnl #
> dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl
> dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl
> dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomainalias.com)dnl
> dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomain.lan)dnl
> MAILER(smtp)dnl
> MAILER(procmail)dnl
> dnl MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl
>
>
>
> --
> madunix

I never set up a sendmail server, but looks like you need a closer
look at the the top lines of the sendmail.cf you posted: you're
supposed to edit sendmail.mc (and probably also submit.mc), then run
"make -C /etc/mail" to create the .cf equivalents.
One gotcha I learned from setting up sendmail clients: make sure you
cd to /etc/mail before running "make -C /etc/mail".

More details on http://www.sendmail.org/

Kind regards,

Herta

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

Alfred Hovdestad 12-03-2007 09:45 PM

sendmail
 
Herta Van den Eynde wrote:

On 03/12/2007, Mad Unix <madunix@gmail.com> wrote:

am trying to setup sendmail server on RHEL5
i get the following message
Dec 3 15:23:02 linux1 sendmail[5218]: daemon MTA: problem creating SMTP
socket
Dec 3 15:23:02 linux1 sendmail[5218]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting

How should I setup my sendmail.cf



divert(-1)dnl



DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=smtp.mail.com, Name=MTA')dnl




--
madunix


I never set up a sendmail server, but looks like you need a closer
look at the the top lines of the sendmail.cf you posted: you're
supposed to edit sendmail.mc (and probably also submit.mc), then run
"make -C /etc/mail" to create the .cf equivalents.
One gotcha I learned from setting up sendmail clients: make sure you
cd to /etc/mail before running "make -C /etc/mail".

More details on http://www.sendmail.org/

Kind regards,

Herta




Agreed. I don't expect that your MTA server is smtp.mail.com. Try
rebuilding the sendmail.cf and restarting sendmail. If you still have
problems, come back to the list. Or send your sendmail.mc file to the
list and we can check it out.


Alfred Hovdestad, RHCE
University of Saskatchewan

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

chloe K 07-08-2008 12:27 AM

sendmail
 
Hi all

how can I resend the undeliverable from 5 days to 3 days

thank you



Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Tim 07-08-2008 01:16 AM

sendmail
 
On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:27 -0400, chloe K wrote:
> how can I resend the undeliverable from 5 days to 3 days

Going from memory "sendmail -q" will immediately process the queue when
you issue the command. Read the man file to check.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
in case that's important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Knute Johnson 07-08-2008 03:37 AM

sendmail
 
chloe K wrote:

Hi all

how can I resend the undeliverable from 5 days to 3 days

thank you


You wouldn't be having a problem where it sends mail sometimes and not
others would you? My latest installation of F9 will not send mail when
first started. I must restart sendmail to send any mail but after that
it works fine until I restart Fedora.


--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Tim 07-08-2008 06:16 AM

sendmail
 
On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:37 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> My latest installation of F9 will not send mail when first started. I
> must restart sendmail to send any mail but after that it works fine
> until I restart Fedora.

Are you using Network Manager?

If so, I had that problem until I stopped using it. It didn't get the
network up and running in time, when sendmail fires up, and sendmail
never recovers.

An alternative would be to put a restart script into the Network Manager
Dispatcher directory. That way sendmail will be restarted any time the
network goes down and up. A smart script would check whether it should
restart a running service, or do nothing to a deliberately stopped
service.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Knute Johnson 07-08-2008 10:21 PM

sendmail
 
Tim wrote:

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:37 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:

My latest installation of F9 will not send mail when first started. I
must restart sendmail to send any mail but after that it works fine
until I restart Fedora.


Are you using Network Manager?


Yes I am. That is an alternative on my desktop but a pain for my laptop.


If so, I had that problem until I stopped using it. It didn't get the
network up and running in time, when sendmail fires up, and sendmail
never recovers.

An alternative would be to put a restart script into the Network Manager
Dispatcher directory. That way sendmail will be restarted any time the
network goes down and up. A smart script would check whether it should
restart a running service, or do nothing to a deliberately stopped
service.



Could you provide a little more detail on exactly how to do this?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Tim 07-09-2008 01:32 AM

sendmail
 
Tim:
>> An alternative would be to put a restart script into the Network Manager
>> Dispatcher directory. That way sendmail will be restarted any time the
>> network goes down and up. A smart script would check whether it should
>> restart a running service, or do nothing to a deliberately stopped
>> service.

Knute Johnson:
> Could you provide a little more detail on exactly how to do this?

I've attached a not-so-intelligent script for restarting the NTP daemon
(it starts or restarts it, but doesn't "do nothing" if NTPD were
manually stopped beforehand). When a network interface comes up, it
starts NTP if it's not already running, it restarts it if were. And
when the interface goes down, it stops it. The LOGGER bit, in it, is
about putting entries into /var/log/messages, as well.

You could modify it to start/restart sendmail, or any other service, and
modify it leave to leave the service running all the time.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
in case that's important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Knute Johnson 07-09-2008 02:44 AM

sendmail
 
Tim wrote:

Tim:

An alternative would be to put a restart script into the Network Manager
Dispatcher directory. That way sendmail will be restarted any time the
network goes down and up. A smart script would check whether it should
restart a running service, or do nothing to a deliberately stopped
service.


Knute Johnson:
Could you provide a little more detail on exactly how to do this?


I've attached a not-so-intelligent script for restarting the NTP daemon
(it starts or restarts it, but doesn't "do nothing" if NTPD were
manually stopped beforehand). When a network interface comes up, it
starts NTP if it's not already running, it restarts it if were. And
when the interface goes down, it stops it. The LOGGER bit, in it, is
about putting entries into /var/log/messages, as well.

You could modify it to start/restart sendmail, or any other service, and
modify it leave to leave the service running all the time.




Thanks very much Tim, I'll give it a try.

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.