FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Chris Adams
 
Default sendmail

Once upon a time, roland <roland@cat.be> said:
> I suppose that if one uses the ESMTP option, one has to install esmtp and
> configure it as needed.
> as discribed in :
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/send-mail-with-esmtp-for-a-simple-single-user-system/232

No, that's a program that is confusingly named the same as a protocol.
Basically, almost all MTAs (Mail Transfer Agents, such as sendmail,
postfix, exim) speak an enhanced version of the original SMTP protocol.
ESMTP is what allows authentication, encryption, and more.

> How do you tell sendmail to use esmtp as the email deliverer?

sendmail will use the ESMTP protocol any time it connects to a server
that says it supports ESMTP (when to telnet to the server on port 25 or
587, the banner line starts with "220 " if it supports ESMTP or just
"200 " if it only supports the original SMTP with no extensions).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default sendmail

On 07/09/2012 04:28 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> Am 09.07.2012 10:23, schrieb Ed Greshko:
>> Port 587 and AUTH are 2 different things....
>>
>> Port 587 is SMTP or ESMTP over SSL. The connection is secured by SSL in the same
>> manner as HTTPS. HTTP uses port 80 while HTTPS uses 443. But the underlying
>> protocol is the same. Same goes here
> Port 587 has NOTHING to do with SSL

You are right.... And I corrected myself in a subsequent message which you've read
by now. :-)
>
>



--
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke
of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default sendmail

On 07/09/2012 02:12 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:

But, when sendmail talks to sendmail (your system to orange) it is using port 25. I
don't think there is a way to tell sendmail to use port 587 to connect to a remote
server (MTA--->MTA). Port 587 is supposed to be used for MUA--->MTA communications.


Wrong. I had to set sendmail up to use my hosting company as a
smarthost because I needed to use it to update linuxcounter.org and my
ISP blocks outbound port 25. I added this line (among other changes) to
sendmail.mc and rebuilt sendmail.cf:


define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')dnl

It works just fine.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default sendmail

On 07/10/2012 01:58 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Wrong. I had to set sendmail up to use my hosting company as a smarthost because I
> needed to use it to update linuxcounter.org and my ISP blocks outbound port 25. I
> added this line (among other changes) to sendmail.mc and rebuilt sendmail.cf:

You too didn't read all my messages where I corrected myself......


--
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke
of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default sendmail

On 07/09/2012 12:59 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

On 07/10/2012 01:58 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:

Wrong. I had to set sendmail up to use my hosting company as a smarthost because I
needed to use it to update linuxcounter.org and my ISP blocks outbound port 25. I
added this line (among other changes) to sendmail.mc and rebuilt sendmail.cf:


You too didn't read all my messages where I corrected myself......




That's because I read my email in the order it was received (not
threaded) and reply to it as I go. BTW, if anybody needs instructions
on how to set sendmail up to use a smarthost on port 587 I'll be happy
to provide it. (A friend of mine became very unhappy with his ISP's
email service. By request, I set him up with an email address at my
domain and sent him these instructions so that he could set everything
on his Linux box up properly.)

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default sendmail

On 07/10/2012 04:29 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> That's because I read my email in the order it was received (not threaded) and
> reply to it as I go

Yes, that was apparent.

Of course it is a preference. I just prefer threaded and reading all the unread
mails in a thread before answering anything. Saves me keystrokes. :-) :-)


--
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke
of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 AM
roland
 
Default sendmail

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 18:41:31 +0200,
<users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:



Once upon a time, roland <roland@cat.be> said:
I suppose that if one uses the ESMTP option, one has to install esmtp
and

configure it as needed.
as discribed in :
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/send-mail-with-esmtp-for-a-simple-single-user-system/232

No, that's a program that is confusingly named the same as a protocol.
Basically, almost all MTAs (Mail Transfer Agents, such as sendmail,
postfix, exim) speak an enhanced version of the original SMTP protocol.
ESMTP is what allows authentication, encryption, and more.


How do you tell sendmail to use esmtp as the email deliverer?

sendmail will use the ESMTP protocol any time it connects to a server
that says it supports ESMTP (when to telnet to the server on port 25 or
587, the banner line starts with "220 " if it supports ESMTP or just
"200 " if it only supports the original SMTP with no extensions).


I did hat you were telling, and it works now. Thank you very much

OTHER QUESTION??

I'm using this server to communicate with smtp.auth.orange-business.com,
as you already understood and solved.
How can I use this server as a secure relay server for sending email to
orange?
I mean, use credentials, or restricting domains, connecting from the
outside world.


I wouldn't know where to put the credentials now.

--

Roland Brouwers


C.A.T.







--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org