Old 06-20-2008, 02:56 AM
"sunhux G"

Default what does putty's different text colors of files/folders mean & how to disable

Hi,

When I "ssh" into our Linux boxes using freeware putty,
when listing out files, some files are painted in red text,
some in blue text & white.

What does the color code mean & how can I change
them or disable them. Blue is highly unreadable.

The very same putty ssh into Solaris & HP-UX boxes
doesn't give rise to these colors.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Phil Savoie

sunhux G wrote:

Hi,

When I "ssh" into our Linux boxes using freeware putty,
when listing out files, some files are painted in red text,
some in blue text & white.

What does the color code mean & how can I change
them or disable them. Blue is highly unreadable.

The very same putty ssh into Solaris & HP-UX boxes
doesn't give rise to these colors.

Thanks

Did a quick google and found this:

Executable files: Green
* Normal file : Normal
* Directory: Blue
* Symbolic link : Cyan
* Pipe: Yellow
* Socket: Magenta
* Block device driver: Bold yellow foreground, with black background
* Character device driver: Bold yellow foreground, with black background
* Orphaned syminks : Blinking Bold white with red background
* Missing links ( … and the files they point to) : Blinking Bold white
with red background

* Archives or compressed : Red (.tar, .gz, .zip, .rpm)
* Image files : Magenta (.jpg, gif, bmp, png, tif)

Hope this helps,

Phil

Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Aaron Bliss

check out /etc/profile.d/colors.sh and /etc/profile.d/colors.csh

Aaron

sunhux G wrote:

Hi,

When I "ssh" into our Linux boxes using freeware putty,
when listing out files, some files are painted in red text,
some in blue text & white.

What does the color code mean & how can I change
them or disable them. Blue is highly unreadable.

The very same putty ssh into Solaris & HP-UX boxes
doesn't give rise to these colors.

Thanks

Aaron Bliss
Systems Administrator
SUNY Brockport
(585) 395-2417

Old 06-20-2008, 03:20 AM
mark

Aaron Bliss wrote:
> check out /etc/profile.d/colors.sh and /etc/profile.d/colors.csh

Yeah, you beat me to it. This will change it for everyone. Or you can have your
own locally.

I *loathe* blue on black (oh, isn't *everyone* using a white background?!)

mark

Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Kristoffer Knigga

If you run `alias`, you'll see that ls is aliased to "ls --color=tty". I believe that if you remove this alias you will get no coloring at all, just like Solaris and HP-UX.