Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
"John Dunn"

Default Tight VNC viwer shows blank desktop

I have been
conncting to a RHEL 5 server via Tight VNC Viewer*OK for some
time
*
But now all it shows
is the red desktop background...no icons...no menus.
*
All looks OK on the
server console itself.
*
Any ideas why this
should be?
*
*
*

John
Dunn

Product Consultant

Sefas Innovation Limited

Direct Dial + 44 (0) 117 373 6122

www.sefas.com

Sefas Innovation Ltd, CityPoint, Temple Gate, Bristol BS1
6PL, UK. Tel: +44 (0) 117 373 6114 Fax: +44 (0) 117
373 6115

Sefas
Innovation Limited.*
Registered
No: 3769761 England.* Registered
Office: One New Street, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2LA, United Kingdom.* VAT Registration No: GB 741 5377
32

Unless stated to be non-confidential, this email and any
attachments are private and confidential and are for the addressee only. Sefas
monitors e-mails to ensure its systems operate effectively and to minimize the
risk of viruses. Whilst Sefas has taken reasonable steps to scan this email, it
does not accept liability for any virus that may be contained in it.

Internet communications are not 100% secure and as such
Sefas is not responsible for their abuse by 3rd parties, nor for any alteration
or corruption in transmission.

*
*

Old 04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
"Sandifer Platt"

You may have xwindown - if you want the Desktop then follow below:
What do you have the .vnc set to?

Inside your home dir is:

$ ls -ld .vnc
drwxr-xr-x 2 smp smp 4096 Feb 21 21:32 .vnc

And inside this hidden file is the xstartup

$ more xstartup
#!/bin/sh

Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

#[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
#xsetroot -solid grey
#vncconfig -iconic &
#xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#twm &
$

Hope that helps

--