Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 AM
John Alfred Nathanael Chee

Default Screen Resolution

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 17:36, T H Stearns <thomasstearns@comcast.net> wrote:
> tomstearns@tomstearns-desktop:Response to "cvt 1280 1024" was:
>
> "# 1280x1024 59.89 Hz (CVT 1.31M4) hsync: 63.67 kHz; pclk: 109.00 MHz
> Modeline "1280x1024_60.00" *109.00 *1280 1368 1496 1712 *1024 1027 1034 1063
> -hsync +vsync"
>
> I have changed desired resolution to match another computer here. *On ce I
> get straight how to make this change I can fiddle with it to get it exactly
> correct for the photo app.

No need to reboot.

Let me explain what the last couple commands actually did:

The 'xrandr' command asked the computer what it thought valid display
modes were.
The 'cvt' asked the computer what it thought the best settings were
including refresh rate, modes, and sync settings were best for running
at 1280x1024 resolution.

The next things to run are:

xrandr --newmode "1280x1024" 109.00 1280 1368 1496 1712 1024 1027
1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA 1280x1024
xrandr --output VGA --mode 1280x1024

Once you run those three commands, the monitor should be set to
1280x1024 resolution.

NOTE: If you're going to be running these commands on several
computers you'll need to run 'cvt <desired width> <desired height>'
for each different computer and monitor combination and modify your
'xrandr --newmode' command accordingly.

--
Love in Jesus Christ, John Alfred Nathanael Chee
http://www.biblegateway.com/

Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 AM
John Alfred Nathanael Chee

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 17:49, John Alfred Nathanael Chee
<cheecheeo@gmail.com> wrote:
> The next things to run are:
>
> xrandr --newmode "1280x1024" 109.00 *1280 1368 1496 1712 *1024 1027
> 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
> xrandr --addmode VGA 1280x1024
> xrandr --output VGA --mode 1280x1024

I had a typo in there. Try these:

xrandr --newmode "1280x1024" 109.00 1280 1368 1496 1712 1024 1027
1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA1 1280x1024
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024

Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 AM
John Alfred Nathanael Chee

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 18:00, T H Stearns <thomasstearns@comcast.net> wrote:
> Success! Many thanks!!

You're welcome.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:12 AM
John Alfred Nathanael Chee

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 04:18, T H Stearns <thomasstearns@comcast.net> wrote:
> Again many thanks for your successful solution to the *resolution-change
> problem.
>
> 1. How do I alter the command string to get 1024 X 768
> 2. How do I make the change permanent? It disappears with reboot.

To get 1024x768 resolution you'll want to run the command 'cvt 1024
768'. It should output 2 lines, one starting with '#' and another
starting with 'Modeline'. Then copy everything after the closing "
mark on the line the starting with 'Modeline' and put that after the
closing " mark on the 'xrandr --newmode' command discussed a couple
emails ago. You'll also want to change every occurrence of 1280 to
1024 and 1024 to 768 in the 3 xrandr lines. NOTE: This page explains a
lot of what we've been doing:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

As far as making the change permanent the following should make the
change permanent [1]:
'sudo mousepad /etc/gdm/Init/Default'

Then search for the line: initctl -q emit login-session-start
DISPLAY_MANAGER=gdm

Right _before_ that line, add the three xrandr lines:

xrandr --newmode "1280x1024" 109.00 1280 1368 1496 1712 1024 1027
1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA1 1280x1024
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024

Then save and quit. You'll have to at least logout, and possibly
restart to have the changes take effect.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Setting%20xrandr%20commands%20in%20kdm/gdm%20startup%20scripts

Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
John Alfred Nathanael Chee

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 05:39, T H Stearns <thomasstearns@comcast.net> wrote:
> Another triumph! 1280X1024 is now on my list of resolutions. Scary working
> in the "root."
>
> When I log in at startup, is that password the "root" password? If not, what
> is a *root password?
>
> If I make an error in editing the scripts, does this force a re-install or
> can I edit the commands in Safe mode? I suppose it depends on the magnitude
> of the error.
>
> Can you point me to a good, condensed explanation of Unix editing?

For the root question, and the ubuntu take on the situation see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

As far as editing, Xubuntu and Linux in general prevent you from
editing things that you shouldn't be changing, unless of course you're
logged in as root or using sudo. So the first thing would be to make
sure that you know what you're doing when using sudo or trust the
person/HOWTO/walkthrough directing you to use sudo. Second, you should
make a backup of the file you're planning on editing before editing
it, so that you can always put everything back the way you had it.

An example of something I should have probably told you to do when
changing the gdm default init script would have been something like:

# Create a backup of the file in the current directory named
etc_gdm_Init_Default
cp /etc/gdm/Init/Default etc_gdm_Init_Default
# Edit the file
sudo mousepad /etc/gdm/Init/Default
# Something goes wrong... so you restore the file
sudo cp etc_gdm_Init_Default /etc/gdm/Init/Default

And you should be back to the state you started in.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 PM
"David J. Ellis"

I realize this thread has not had action recently but I have a display
resolution problem that I'm unable to resolve.

Just installed Ubuntu 9.04 and only have limited experience on UNIX from the
mid 1980s so very rusty. My display is not being recognized and I need to
know how to set a workable resolution.

ASUS V8170 with nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 chipset. Normal screen settings are
1680x1050 32 bit 60 Hz for an AOC display.

I ran the following in a command window as suggested earlier but no luck:

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
800x600 60.0* 56.0
640x480 60.0
400x300 60.0 56.0
320x240 60.0

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ cvt 1680 1050
# 1680x1050 59.95 Hz (CVT 1.76MA) hsync: 65.29 kHz; pclk: 146.25 MHz
Modeline "1680x1050_60.00" 146.25 1680 1784 1960 2240 1050 1053 1059 1089
-hsync +vsync

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --newmode "1680x1050_60.00" 146.25 1680
1784 1960 2240 1050 1053 1059 1089 -hsync +vsync

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --addmode default 1680x1050
xrandr: cannot find mode "1680x1050"

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$

I suspect I need a way to first tell it about my display controller but how
do I do that?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Steve

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:54:17 -0000, David J. Ellis <dr.ellis@physics.org>
wrote:

> I realize this thread has not had action recently but I have a display
> resolution problem that I'm unable to resolve.
>
> Just installed Ubuntu 9.04 and only have limited experience on UNIX from
> the
> mid 1980s so very rusty. My display is not being recognized and I need to
> know how to set a workable resolution.
>
> ASUS V8170 with nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 chipset. Normal screen settings
> are
> 1680x1050 32 bit 60 Hz for an AOC display.
>
> I ran the following in a command window as suggested earlier but no luck:
>
> davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
> default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 800x600 60.0* 56.0
> 640x480 60.0
> 400x300 60.0 56.0
> 320x240 60.0
>
> davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ cvt 1680 1050
> # 1680x1050 59.95 Hz (CVT 1.76MA) hsync: 65.29 kHz; pclk: 146.25 MHz
> Modeline "1680x1050_60.00" 146.25 1680 1784 1960 2240 1050 1053 1059
> 1089
> -hsync +vsync
>
> davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --newmode "1680x1050_60.00" 146.25
> 1680
> 1784 1960 2240 1050 1053 1059 1089 -hsync +vsync
>
> davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --addmode default 1680x1050
> xrandr: cannot find mode "1680x1050"
>
> davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$
>
> I suspect I need a way to first tell it about my display controller but
> how
> do I do that?

If you use 'Hardware Drivers' it should install the correct nVidia driver
for you.

--
Steve

Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
"David J. Ellis"

> If you use 'Hardware Drivers' it should install the correct
> nVidia driver for you.
>
> --
> Steve

Thanks - I had been digging deeper and already found that one but it put me
into a deeper hole. It offered only the one driver - revision 96.43.10 -
which installed fine but then I was left with an even more restricted
display resolution of only 640 x 480. nVidia's display settings tool allows
you to select between the two resolutions it lists - the other was even less
- but no apparent way to add/create any higher resolution. (I checked the
nVidia website and they have a version 96.43.14 now but I doubt such a minor
rev change like that will have any impact on what follows.)

I next reverted the system by removing the nVidia driver and got xrandr to
apparently add a new resolution into the default display resolutions:

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 800 x 600, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
800x600 60.0* 56.0
640x480 60.0
400x300 60.0 56.0
320x240 60.0
1024x768_60.00 59.9

(I decided to be a little cautious and just experiment with something fairly
basic like 1024x768 that I would expect to be supported.) However, I could
not get the new resolution to 'load'.

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --output default --mode 1024x768_60.00
xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed

I then tried to just swap between the resolutions initially offered and got
the following errors, although the screen resolution did in fact change
despite these errors. It seems those errors would imply I have something
misconfigured or am doing something I shouldn't be doing:

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --output default --mode 640x480
X Error of failed request: 163
Major opcode of failed request: 149 (RANDR)
Minor opcode of failed request: 29 ()
Serial number of failed request: 22

davidellis@Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --output default --mode 800x600
X Error of failed request: 163
Major opcode of failed request: 149 (RANDR)
Minor opcode of failed request: 29 ()
Serial number of failed request: 21

I'm guessing that trying to change the default is not the correct approach.
I went back to putting in the nVidia driver which only offers a maximum of
640x480. (Tough to do much as you can only see part of the windows!) I tried
using xrandr again but only got a similar result. (The only display listed
seems to be "default" and that doesn't like being changed).

Is it possible to add higher resolutions manually somehow? I realize that
nVidia is a proprietary driver but it seems it should have a configuration
file somewhere that stores the resolutions, bit depth and refresh rate so
that alternatives could be added. The resolutions were not in xorg.conf.

Anyone out there using an nVidia rev 96 who knows where I should start
looking?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM
David Collins

Is your monitor turned on and connected when your PC is booting up?
I use the nVidia proprietary driver and it detects the native resolution of my 19" flat screen monitor when I boot up, as long as the monitor is on and connected.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 PM
"David J. Ellis"

Yes. Everything is connected and works fine in the
WinXP that I'm trying to get away from. I merely freed up some disk space and
installed a dual boot 9.04. I had previously been trying it direct from CD-ROM
but because the display never got detected I decided to do an install so I had
more capability to make permanent system changes.
*
If you try to change your display resolution and load
the nVidia display settings tool, does it have anything in it anywhere that
would allow you to add a custom display resolution? (The equivalent nVidia tool
under Windows XP does have an option to create custom
settings.)