Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default Screen resolution

Hi!

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
>
>> Hola!
>>
>> I recently installed ubuntu (8.04) on a brand new excellent laptop.
>> But the screen is only recognised in low resolution, 800x600, which is way
>> bad. From menu Preferences > Screen resolution it is NOT offered any higher
>> resolution, such
>> as 1024x768, which I am sure is possible. What to do? I'm sure it should be
>> easy!
>>
>> Kjetil
>>

> I expect you have a nVidia video device. You can tell this by
> writing in a terminal $ lspci | video and if you do have nVidia you need
> to get the better driver software either from Ubuntu or the nVidia web page.

If you have an nvidia, just enabling the visual effects will trigger the
download, install and activation of the proprietary (i.e. high
performance, fancy admin interface) nvidia driver. Then you can launch
the Nvidia Settings from the Applications System tab (or something
close, depending on your GNOME configuration).

That lets you configure everything on an nvidia graphics board.

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>
ICQ : *77488526*

Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 PM
"Kjetil Halvorsen"

You are right, I have the nVidia card. But how do I
"enable the visual effects"?

Kjetil

>> I recently installed ubuntu (8.04) on a brand new excellent laptop.

>> But the screen is only recognised in low resolution, 800x600, which is way

>> bad. From menu Preferences > Screen resolution it is NOT offered any higher

>> resolution, such

>> as 1024x768, which I am sure is possible. What to do? I'm sure it should be

>> easy!

>> Kjetil

> * * I expect you have a nVidia video device. You can tell this by

> writing in a terminal $ lspci | video and if you do have nVidia you need

> to get the better driver software either from Ubuntu or the nVidia web page.

If you have an nvidia, just enabling the visual effects will trigger the

download, install and activation of the proprietary (i.e. high

performance, fancy admin interface) nvidia driver. Then you can launch

the Nvidia Settings from the Applications System tab (or something

close, depending on your GNOME configuration).

That lets you configure everything on an nvidia graphics board.

Gilles.

--

/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>

ICQ : *77488526*

<http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=77488526> * || *MSN

Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/Gilles@Gravier.org>*

*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier

<http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier> || AOL : gillesgravier

<aim:goim?screenname=gillesgravier>

PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*

<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DE6D026&op=index>

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around

the sun."

"All truth goes through three stages. *First it is ridiculed. *Then it is
violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident."

Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Karl Larsen

Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
> You are right, I have the nVidia card. But how do I
> "enable the visual effects"?

You need to download new software for the kernel and on your
computer. Use the Sympatic Package manager and in the non-ubuntu section
d/l the one for nVidia.

Karl

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:53 PM
"Kjetil Halvorsen"

Thanks.

What I did - and which worked - was this: with synaptic I installed envyNG,
then run it, so changed the screen resolution in the "screen resoltion!" menu,
(where it had appeared new options),

then restarted the machine. That worked excellently!

Kjetil

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:

> You are right, I have the nVidia card. But how do I

> "enable the visual effects"?

* *You need to download new software for the kernel and on your

computer. Use the Sympatic Package manager and in the non-ubuntu section

d/l the one for nVidia.

Karl

> Kjetil

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:

>> Hi!

>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>> way

>> higher

>> be

>>> * * I expect you have a nVidia video device. You can tell this by

>>> writing in a terminal $ lspci | video and if you do have nVidia you need

>>> to get the better driver software either from Ubuntu or the nVidia web

>> page.

>> If you have an nvidia, just enabling the visual effects will trigger the

>> download, install and activation of the proprietary (i.e. high

>> performance, fancy admin interface) nvidia driver. Then you can launch

>> the Nvidia Settings from the Applications System tab (or something

>> close, depending on your GNOME configuration).

>> That lets you configure everything on an nvidia graphics board.

>> Gilles.

>> --

>> /*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>

>> ICQ : *77488526*

>> <http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=77488526> * || *MSN

>> Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/Gilles@Gravier.org

>>> *

>> *Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier

>> <http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier> || AOL : gillesgravier

>> <aim:goim?screenname=gillesgravier>

>> PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*

>> <http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DE6D026&op=index>

>> "Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around

>> the sun."

>> --

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Old 02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi all

I am unfamiliar with the workings of a GUI. Anyone stuck at 1024x768
with the newly released Debian? How do I change it to one, say
1280x1024?

--
Koh Choon Lin

Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Koh Choon Lin

> In terminal run the following command from root user.
> dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>
> Here you can change default screen resolution.

I got this message:

xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090219031522

Running without the high piority leads to questions pertaining to
mouse, keyboard only. I noticed recent versions of Debian based
distros have this problem too (ie. no configuration details in the
file x.org).

Any ideas?

--
Koh Choon Lin

Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Aneurin Price

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Koh Choon Lin <kohchoonlin0@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In terminal run the following command from root user.
>> dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>>
>> Here you can change default screen resolution.
>
> I got this message:
>
> xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
> file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090219031522
>
> Running without the high piority leads to questions pertaining to
> mouse, keyboard only. I noticed recent versions of Debian based
> distros have this problem too (ie. no configuration details in the
> file x.org).
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> Koh Choon Lin
>

>> You can switch to higher resolution by ALT+CTRL++ key combination or can
>> switch to lower resolution by ALT+CTRL+ - key combination
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Koh Choon Lin <kohchoonlin0@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I am unfamiliar with the workings of a GUI. Anyone stuck at 1024x768
>>> with the newly released Debian? How do I change it to one, say
>>> 1280x1024?

Your desktop environment should have a preferences tool for this -
certainly KDE and Gnome do. Is the resolution you want not given as an
option?

What graphics card/driver are you using? I've noticed (may be coincidence)
that machines I've had with NVidia cards never get the full range of
possible resolutions detected automatically. In this case, nvidia-settings
will allow you to set resolution, and several other things.

Nye

(PS. I'm of the opinion that autoconfiguring Xorg should have been left
until it's a bit more robust, since now it just means that you often
*still* have to mess aroung with Xorg.conf, only now there isn't a nicely
commented existing file to modify.)

Old 02-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Koh Choon Lin

> Your desktop environment should have a preferences tool for this -
> certainly KDE and Gnome do. Is the resolution you want not given as an
> option?
>
> What graphics card/driver are you using? I've noticed (may be coincidence)
> that machines I've had with NVidia cards never get the full range of
> possible resolutions detected automatically. In this case, nvidia-settings
> will allow you to set resolution, and several other things.

I am using ATI Mobility Radeon, normally I would be using the vesa
driver at 1280x1024. Its now at 1024x768 and GNOME doesn't offer any
higher while my xorg.conf has no info at all.

--
Koh Choon Lin

Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Aneurin Price

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Koh Choon Lin <kohchoonlin0@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Your desktop environment should have a preferences tool for this -
>> certainly KDE and Gnome do. Is the resolution you want not given as an
>> option?
>>
>> What graphics card/driver are you using? I've noticed (may be coincidence)
>> that machines I've had with NVidia cards never get the full range of
>> possible resolutions detected automatically. In this case, nvidia-settings
>> will allow you to set resolution, and several other things.
>

> I am using ATI Mobility Radeon, normally I would be using the vesa
> driver at 1280x1024. Its now at 1024x768 and GNOME doesn't offer any
> higher while my xorg.conf has no info at all.

So are you using the binary driver? I think the Catalyst control centre has
options for this. Failing that, you may well have to modify your xorg.conf.
If you don't have one, running 'Xorg -configure' as root will save a default
configuration file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf; you need the right metamode option
in the 'Screen' section for the resolution you want.
For reference, mine looks like this:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "metamodes" "1920x1200 +0+0; 1024x768 +0+0; 800x600
+0+0; 640x480 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
(Don't know why it mentions the colour depth twice; I suspect it's not really
needed. Also I believe the '+0+0' parts are the default and hence unnecessary)

Nye

Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Koh Choon Lin

>> I am using ATI Mobility Radeon, normally I would be using the vesa
>> driver at 1280x1024. Its now at 1024x768 and GNOME doesn't offer any
>> higher while my xorg.conf has no info at all.
>>

> So are you using the binary driver? I think the Catalyst control centre has
> options for this. Failing that, you may well have to modify your xorg.conf.
> If you don't have one, running 'Xorg -configure' as root will save a default
> configuration file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf; you need the right metamode option
> in the 'Screen' section for the resolution you want.
> For reference, mine looks like this:

Well, mine is as below, I suspect the specs (eg. configured monitor)
are contained in another file. Thus, I am looking for the file.

--
Koh Choon Lin

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"