Old 08-16-2008, 01:49 AM
"Michael Haney"

Default Screen Resolution

The biggest problem here is that Ubuntu 7.10 and previous versions
allowed you to manually select what kind of monitor you have from the
same window you changed your screen resolution at, but 8.04 broke this
and now it leaves it up to the drivers to determine what sort of
monitor you have. This is a step backwards as its been causing nine
kinds of hell for those of us who are noobs to Linux (I'm a returning
semi-noob). I switched to Kubuntu 8.04 which uses KDE. I can
manually select my monitor settings right from the same screen
resolution window, but I am disturbed to find to discover that the
KDE4 Remix version of Kubuntu breaks this feature. This is a serious
problem which the community needs to address quickly.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Linda Vest Castanos

correct, 7.04 work just find
Samsung SyncMaster 730B - Linux compitable
ATI Radeon DDR 700
Is there a way to get into X.org

Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Ed Sutter

Hi,
New to this list, and new to Debian. Just installed this over top of
an old installation of RH9, which worked fine, just a bit dated. My
machine is a K6-2, old but reliable.
I installed by creating a small install CD, booting from CD and then
basically letting it do its thing for an hour downloading stuff and
installing a fresh system. That all went well, I am able to log
into the console etc; however, the screen resolution is stuck at 640x480.

I've read through the archives and googled till my fingers are sore.
All the solutions I've seen say to modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf either manually
or by using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. Then restart gdm.

Tried that several times, and I've gotten one of two results each time:

1) either it has no effect at all or
2) xserver won't even start up because its confused.

Bottom line, is that I can't do much at the console with a 640x480 resolution
because many of the dialog boxes span outside the window, and they are not
moveable; hence, if I want to be able to use the GNOME environment fruitfully
I need to get the resolution up.

I have a Permedia 2 graphics card and a Princeton 19" LCD display. The auto-detect
in xserver-xorg seems to find that ok. They're both capable of handling 1280x1024
and the xorg.conf file that is created by dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg shows that
this resolution is possible.

No matter what I do, I'm not able to get the screen resolution up. It appears that
it is just defaulting to the bare minimum resolution for some reason, but as far as
I can tell, the card and monitor are properly being detected.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Ed

Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
"Felipe Gallois"

hello there,

what driver is your xorg using?
$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Driver

if it is using vesa, then your card's driver is not being loaded...
i can't count how many times this was the main problem for me =)

[...]

gallois
aka Felipe Gallois
website: www.gallois.com.br
blog: www.gallois.com.br/blog

Old 08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Ed Sutter

Felipe,
Thanks for responding...
It's using GLINT, which I believe is the one it
should be using. I even tried vesa, but that was
one of the cases where it wouldn't even come up.
Ed

website: www.gallois.com.br <http://www.gallois.com.br>
blog: www.gallois.com.br/blog <http://www.gallois.com.br/blog>

Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Ed Sutter

Felipe,
After reading your previous email (regarding the monitor settings),
I re-ran "dpkg-reconfigure xorg.conf", but this time I told it not
to auto-configure the monitor. It asked me a few questions, and
as a result the two lines you mention below (HorizSync/Vertrefresh)
were generated. That did it!
Thanks for your help.
Ed

Felipe Gallois wrote:

just a tip, i'm not pretty sure about how it works, but mybe it can help you
adding monitor options in xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "My Monitor"
HorizSync 30-82
Vertrefresh 56-76
Modeline "1440x900" 106.5 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932 -HSync
+VSync

EndSection

i don't know what those parameters are exactly, so maybe taking some
time to understand it can help a bit =D

i'll be out for today, but when i'm back i'll get into it again

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 09:01, Ed Sutter <esutter@alcatel-lucent.com
<mailto:esutter@alcatel-lucent.com>> wrote:

> Felipe,
> The only thing that I changed (in an attempt to fix this problem)
> from the orignal xorg.conf file was the default depth. I use 16
> (which is what is recommended for my monitor).
> Other than that, your example below is what I have in my xorg.conf.
> Regarding the monitor setup, yep, its set to 1280x1024.
>
> Everything else is doing quite well. I just have limited use of the
> console because various dialog boxes end up spanning outside my
screen space.

<mailto:esutter@alcatel-lucent.com> <mailto:esutter@alcatel-lucent.com

<mailto:debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org>>> with a subject of

listmaster@lists.debian.org <mailto:listmaster@lists.debian.org>

<http://www.gallois.com.br>

<http://www.gallois.com.br/blog> <http://www.gallois.com.br/blog>

Old 08-21-2008, 01:00 AM
"Felipe Gallois"

great to know that it worked!!!!

that's the spirit! =D
all the best!

Felipe Gallois wrote:

just a tip, i'm not pretty sure about how it works, but mybe it can help you

adding monitor options in xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"

* Identifier * * "My Monitor"

* HorizSync 30-82

* Vertrefresh 56-76

* Modeline "1440x900" 106.5 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932 -HSync +VSync

EndSection

i don't know what those parameters are exactly, so maybe taking some time to understand it can help a bit =D

i'll be out for today, but when i'm back i'll get into it again

*> The only thing that I changed (in an attempt to fix this problem)

*> from the orignal xorg.conf file was the default depth. *I use 16

*> (which is what is recommended for my monitor).

*> Other than that, your example below is what I have in my xorg.conf.

*> Regarding the monitor setup, yep, its set to 1280x1024.

*>

*> Everything else is doing quite well. *I just have limited use of the

*> console because various dialog boxes end up spanning outside my screen space.

*> Thanks, keep thinking ('cause I'm at a loss)! *:-)

*>

*> Ed

*>

*> Felipe Gallois wrote:

*>>

*>> there are 2 things that i would ask first

*>> 1. have you added the mode line in the subsection display? like

*>>

*>> Section "Screen"

*>> ...

*>> DefaultDepth 24

*>> SubSection "Display"

*>> Depth 24

*>> Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

*>> EndSubSection

*>> ...

*>>

*>> 2. is your monitor set correctly?

*>> maybe you forgot to check it, which happens very often

*>>

*>> cheers!

*>>

*>> * *It's using GLINT, which I believe is the one it

*>> * *should be using. *I even tried vesa, but that was

*>> * *one of the cases where it wouldn't even come up.

*>> * *Ed

*>>

*>> * *Felipe Gallois wrote:

*>>

*>> * * * *hello there,

*>>

*>> * * * *<mailto:listmaster@lists.debian.org <mailto:listmaster@lists.debian.org>>

*>> * * * *website: www.gallois.com.br <http://www.gallois.com.br> <http://www.gallois.com.br>

*>> * * * *<http://www.gallois.com.br>

*>> * * * *blog: www.gallois.com.br/blog <http://www.gallois.com.br/blog> <http://www.gallois.com.br/blog>

*>> * * * *<http://www.gallois.com.br/blog>

*>>

*>>

*>>

*>>

*>> --

Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 02:23:35PM -0400, Ed Sutter wrote:
> No matter what I do, I'm not able to get the screen resolution up. It appears that
> it is just defaulting to the bare minimum resolution for some reason, but as far as
> I can tell, the card and monitor are properly being detected.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Any clues in /var/log/Xorg.log?

--
Chris.
======

Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 PM
"Kjetil Halvorsen"

Hola!

I recently installed ubuntu (8.04) on a brand new excellent laptop.
But the screen is only recognised in low resolution, 800x600, which is way to
bad. From menu Preferences > Screen resolution it is NOT offered any higher resolution, such

as 1024x768, which I am sure is possible. What to do? I'm sure it should be easy!

Kjetil
--
"All truth goes through three stages. *First it is ridiculed. *Then it is
violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident."

Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Karl Larsen

Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
> Hola!
>
> I recently installed ubuntu (8.04) on a brand new excellent laptop.
> But the screen is only recognised in low resolution, 800x600, which is way
> bad. From menu Preferences > Screen resolution it is NOT offered any higher
> resolution, such
> as 1024x768, which I am sure is possible. What to do? I'm sure it should be
> easy!
>
> Kjetil

I expect you have a nVidia video device. You can tell this by
writing in a terminal $ lspci | video and if you do have nVidia you need
to get the better driver software either from Ubuntu or the nVidia web page.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User