FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Install

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default screen resolution

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 22:03:46 +0200, niclas wahlgren wrote:
> Can't get screen resolution up to 1600x1200.
>
> xrandr says:
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1280
> VGA1 disconnected
> DVI0 disconnected
> VGA2 connected 1280x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1280x800 60.0
> 1280x768 60.0*
> 1024x768 60.0
> 800x600 60.3
> 640x480 59.9
> 640x400 120.0
> 640x384 120.2
> 512x384 120.0
>
> Both screen and video card manages 1600x1200. (works with winxp)
> Whatever I try in screen configuration editor it says :
> Sorry, this configuration video card driver
> and monitor doesn't appear to work.
>
> pkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not work like it used to. No
> possibility to change video settings, only keyboard.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Usind sid, amd64, geforce 8500GT

Which driver do you use, nv or nvidia? If you are not sure about this,
run

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log

in an X terminal and post the output here.

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
niclas wahlgren
 
Default screen resolution

Ron Johnson wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/11/08 15:03, niclas wahlgren wrote:


Can't get screen resolution up to 1600x1200.

xrandr says:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1280
VGA1 disconnected
DVI0 disconnected
VGA2 connected 1280x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x800 60.0
1280x768 60.0*
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.3
640x480 59.9
640x400 120.0
640x384 120.2
512x384 120.0

Both screen and video card manages 1600x1200. (works with winxp)
Whatever I try in screen configuration editor it says :
Sorry, this configuration video card driver
and monitor doesn't appear to work.

pkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not work like it used to. No
possibility to change video settings, only keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Usind sid, amd64, geforce 8500GT



What kind of monitor, and what is it's (max) resolution?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkh3y9EACgkQS9HxQb37Xmf96QCcCf+0yrIjPi DSo9h+FMRtbnT8
8pcAoNF/lZ2njhx5uClJZRlLcI0bC5Sx
=rpq6
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




Monitor: LCD, LG electronics, L2010T, max res 1600x1200

/N





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 AM
niclas wahlgren
 
Default screen resolution

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 22:03:46 +0200, niclas wahlgren wrote:


Can't get screen resolution up to 1600x1200.

xrandr says:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1280
VGA1 disconnected
DVI0 disconnected
VGA2 connected 1280x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x800 60.0
1280x768 60.0*
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.3
640x480 59.9
640x400 120.0
640x384 120.2
512x384 120.0

Both screen and video card manages 1600x1200. (works with winxp)
Whatever I try in screen configuration editor it says :
Sorry, this configuration video card driver
and monitor doesn't appear to work.

pkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not work like it used to. No
possibility to change video settings, only keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Usind sid, amd64, geforce 8500GT



Which driver do you use, nv or nvidia? If you are not sure about this,
run

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log

in an X terminal and post the output here.



grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so



It seems to be nv driver.

/N





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default screen resolution

niclas wahlgren wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 22:03:46 +0200, niclas wahlgren wrote:


Can't get screen resolution up to 1600x1200.

xrandr says:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1280
VGA1 disconnected
DVI0 disconnected
VGA2 connected 1280x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x800 60.0
1280x768 60.0*
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.3
640x480 59.9
640x400 120.0
640x384 120.2
512x384 120.0

Both screen and video card manages 1600x1200. (works with winxp)
Whatever I try in screen configuration editor it says :
Sorry, this configuration video card driver
and monitor doesn't appear to work.

pkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not work like it used to. No
possibility to change video settings, only keyboard.


Any suggestions?

Usind sid, amd64, geforce 8500GT



Which driver do you use, nv or nvidia? If you are not sure about this,
run

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log

in an X terminal and post the output here.



grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so

It seems to be nv driver.
/N


Try the NVidia driver with your 8500GT?


Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default screen resolution

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/12/08 01:08, niclas wahlgren wrote:
[snip]
>
> grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so
>
> It seems to be nv driver.

If it doen't offend your FOSS sensibilities, try the nvidia driver.

(But save a copy of your working /etc/X11/xorg.conf, just in case!)

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkh4q2UACgkQS9HxQb37Xmc+dwCghfYcchqlOd KCWlzvFwzQhTU3
NtgAn0LT7j1p7PeQc6xUkOh3UQ6syEjk
=Bkqi
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Andrew Sackville-West
 
Default screen resolution

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:03:46PM +0200, niclas wahlgren wrote:
> Can't get screen resolution up to 1600x1200.
>
> xrandr says:
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1280
> VGA1 disconnected
> DVI0 disconnected
> VGA2 connected 1280x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1280x800 60.0
> 1280x768 60.0*
> 1024x768 60.0
> 800x600 60.3
> 640x480 59.9
> 640x400 120.0
> 640x384 120.2
> 512x384 120.0
>
> Both screen and video card manages 1600x1200. (works with winxp)
> Whatever I try in screen configuration editor it says :
> Sorry, this configuration video card driver
> and monitor doesn't appear to work.

you should provide us with you're xorg.conf. I would suggest that it's
possible that to achieve the resolution you want requires a clock
that's just outside the configured parameters, resulting in Xorg
abandoning those resolutions.

As an exmaple, my wife's monitor has (making up numbers here just to
show the example) a max HorizSync of 64mhz, but the calculated
HorizSync for her preferred resolution ends up being 64.03mhz or
something silly like that. It's surely some kind of rounding error or
some such. A tweak to the xorg.conf allowing 64.5mhz solves the
problem.

your /var/log/Xorg.0.log should provide detailed information on the
status of all the attempted resolutions.

A
 
Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Robert James
 
Default Screen Resolution

I have a new Compaq laptop that is operating in Vista at a screen
resolution of 1280 x 800. The card is a "generic PnP monitor on DVIDA
GeForce 8200M G card. When I installed Ubuntu the best resolution I
can get is 640 x 480. Apps are so fat they don't fit the screen.
When I go into the GeForce drivers the "test" says they won't work
with this machine. Sure would like to know where to go from here.
Can't seem to get a better resolution.

Thanks

Rob


Robert James
robertjames@mountaincable.net





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Screen Resolution

Robert James wrote:
> I have a new Compaq laptop that is operating in Vista at a screen
> resolution of 1280 x 800. The card is a "generic PnP monitor on DVIDA
> GeForce 8200M G card. When I installed Ubuntu the best resolution I
> can get is 640 x 480. Apps are so fat they don't fit the screen.
> When I go into the GeForce drivers the "test" says they won't work
> with this machine. Sure would like to know where to go from here.
> Can't seem to get a better resolution.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob
>
>
> Robert James
> robertjames@mountaincable.net
>
>
>
>
>
>
Well it sounds like you have a nVidia video system and you need to
get the non-ubuntu driver installed. To check for sure it is nVidia in a
terminal type lspci and it will list all your system.

You need then to use the Sympatic File Manager and get the nVidia
software. This should fix the problem.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen
 
Default Screen Resolution

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Robert James wrote:
>> I have a new Compaq laptop that is operating in Vista at a screen
>> resolution of 1280 x 800. The card is a "generic PnP monitor on DVIDA
>> GeForce 8200M G card. When I installed Ubuntu the best resolution I
>> can get is 640 x 480. Apps are so fat they don't fit the screen.
>> When I go into the GeForce drivers the "test" says they won't work
>> with this machine. Sure would like to know where to go from here.
>> Can't seem to get a better resolution.
> Well it sounds like you have a nVidia video system and you need to
> get the non-ubuntu driver installed. To check for sure it is nVidia in a
> terminal type lspci and it will list all your system.
>
> You need then to use the Sympatic File Manager and get the nVidia
> software. This should fix the problem.
My guess is that your monitor was not recognized automatically. You may
need to manually inform Ubuntu about the monitor model a capabilities.
--
+---------------------------------+-------------------+
| Carl Friis-Hansen | Fiskeryd Nybygget |
| http://computingconfidence.com/ | 341 91 Ljungby |
| Phone: +46 (0)372 15033 | Sveden |
+---------------------------------+-------------------+


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen
 
Default Screen Resolution

Robert James wrote:
> Hello Carl
> Thanks for your reply and your suggestion. I am a linux newbie so I am
> having a bit of trouble getting the terminal to install (says I have to
> be in the root), but I will figure it out.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Robert
>
> Robert James
> robertjames@mountaincable.net
Hi Robert,
the mailing list had thrown me out due do too many bounces, so I am not
sure if you already solved the problem or you still need help.
Anyway, if you have not done it already, then the easiest is probably to
write
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
in a terminal window. This will give you the opportunity to manually
tell the system what monitor you are using. If it is not in the list,
then you might be lucky selecting a model close to being the same.
Good luck.
Oh by the way, it should normally be enough to just write to the mailing
list and not directly to the individual members. Just in case you did
this because there is a mailing list problem, I also did write to you
directly.
--
+---------------------------------+-------------------+
| Carl Friis-Hansen | Fiskeryd Nybygget |
| http://computingconfidence.com/ | 341 91 Ljungby |
| Phone: +46 (0)372 15033 | Sveden |
+---------------------------------+-------------------+


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org