FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Install

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default screen resolution

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 05:12 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I didn't re-install but rather installed again in a new partition
> 7.10 and it came out a great system. The first one I did was flawed from
> the beginning with nVidia video problems and when it just died in a
> video way the new install was the right thing to do and it is sure nice.

Sure, I my time I also wrecked systems so much that a reinstall was the
only sensible option. It's a way to learn

But it should be a last resort, and Brendan has acquired the stupid
habit of replying with "reinstall" to more or less any post he responds
to, about any problem.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default screen resolution

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 05:12 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I didn't re-install but rather installed again in a new partition
>> 7.10 and it came out a great system. The first one I did was flawed from
>> the beginning with nVidia video problems and when it just died in a
>> video way the new install was the right thing to do and it is sure nice.
>>
>
> Sure, I my time I also wrecked systems so much that a reinstall was the
> only sensible option. It's a way to learn
>
> But it should be a last resort, and Brendan has acquired the stupid
> habit of replying with "reinstall" to more or less any post he responds
> to, about any problem.
>
>
>
Yes well you should not do it because of some simple problem. I
think Brendan is learning that if you don't know the proper answer, just
pass it on to one that does :-)

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Daryn Hanright
 
Default screen resolution

* NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
> You might find this helpful:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
> http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/randr-2007-02-06-17-50
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingXAutoconfiguration
>
>

A ha! Onto something here! I decided to remove all my restricted driver
nvidia stuff & go back to the nv driver. Same problem, just have more
choice (640x480 also - woo hoo!). So From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingXAutoconfiguration I've tried running:

sudo xresprobe nv

I think this is supposed to probe your monitor - my results where:

id:
res:
freq:
disptype:

Zilch! I think the latest updates to xorg/ubuntu hardy have no idea what my monitor is. And even when I try to use a more defined xorg.conf it doesn't want to know. I think might have a problem with the combo of GeForce4 Ti 4200 & my Acer AL2216W 22" monitor. Might have to do a bug report I think.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-07-2008, 05:30 PM
NoOp
 
Default screen resolution

On 06/07/2008 12:21 AM, Daryn Hanright wrote:
> * NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>
>> You might find this helpful:
>> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
>> http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/randr-2007-02-06-17-50
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingXAutoconfiguration
>>
>>
>
> A ha! Onto something here! I decided to remove all my restricted
> driver nvidia stuff & go back to the nv driver. Same problem, just
> have more choice (640x480 also - woo hoo!). So From
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingXAutoconfiguration I've
> tried running:
>
> sudo xresprobe nv
>
> I think this is supposed to probe your monitor - my results where:
>
> id: res: freq: disptype:
>
> Zilch! I think the latest updates to xorg/ubuntu hardy have no idea
> what my monitor is. And even when I try to use a more defined
> xorg.conf it doesn't want to know. I think might have a problem with
> the combo of GeForce4 Ti 4200 & my Acer AL2216W 22" monitor. Might
> have to do a bug report I think.
>

OK, try:

gksu displayconfig-gtk

and choose Acer AL2216W(c,v,x). & check Widescreen (if that is what it
is). If nothing else, you'll be able to see the Horiz and Vert ranges
that you can use to build/customize your own xorg.conf.

If displayconfig-gtk isn't there, install it:

sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
"Arto Kyyhkynen"
 
Default screen resolution

Hello!
I just installed EMC2BUNTU4.08 Hardy.
The automatic installation is otherwise fine, but this version of Ubuntu did'nt
understand my flatscreen Viewsonic VLCDS23587-3W. I have only 2 choices in
system/screen resolution vga and svga, so max is 800x600 and ref. rate 56 or
60Hz. I don't find the software to use to configure X-windows. Formerly I used
older ver. of EMC2 Ubuntu and it worked fine my panel resolution is 1024x768.
Please somebody help me.
Arto

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM
David Curtis
 
Default screen resolution

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Arto Kyyhkynen wrote:
> Hello!
> I just installed EMC2BUNTU4.08 Hardy. The automatic installation is otherwise fine, but this version of Ubuntu did'nt understand my flatscreen Viewsonic VLCDS23587-3W. I have only 2 choices in system/screen resolution vga and svga, so max is 800x600 and ref. rate 56 or 60Hz. I don't find the software to use to configure X-windows. Formerly I used older ver. of EMC2 Ubuntu and it worked fine my panel resolution is 1024x768. Please somebody help me.
> Arto
>
>
Hey, Arto

sudo displayconfig-gtk

might help you out as you can change video card drivers in it. If not
you might have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf by hand. Got your old one
backed up?

HTH

Dave.

P.S. Never knew about EMC2buntu. That's a neat little surprise.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIT68dBMFjBZwqDoARArl5AJ99BHL5S6qD2g/ig7KNa5uZiK1RpQCfaFsW
BOu0lgtVQ2+SCxSEdEN4u2Y=
=P+62
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
"Emilio Fernandes"
 
Default screen resolution

Hi,
What is your video card?

2008/6/10 Arto Kyyhkynen <artoky@elisanet.fi>:








Hello!
I just installed EMC2BUNTU4.08 Hardy.
The automatic installation is otherwise fine, but this version of Ubuntu did'nt
understand my flatscreen Viewsonic VLCDS23587-3W. I have only 2 choices in
system/screen resolution vga and svga, so max is 800x600 and ref. rate 56 or
60Hz. I don't find the software to use to configure X-windows. Formerly I used
older ver. of EMC2 Ubuntu and it worked fine my panel resolution is 1024x768.
Please somebody help me.
Arto


--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
Emilio Seidel Fernandes
Tec. Desenvolvimento de Sistemas Distribuídos - UTFPR Curitiba
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Daryn Hanright
 
Default screen resolution

* NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> OK, try:
>
> gksu displayconfig-gtk
>
> and choose Acer AL2216W(c,v,x). & check Widescreen (if that is what it
> is). If nothing else, you'll be able to see the Horiz and Vert ranges
> that you can use to build/customize your own xorg.conf.
>
> If displayconfig-gtk isn't there, install it:
>
> sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk
>

OK finally got around to revisiting this. I finally got it working
again!

I ran displayconfig-gtk & chose the settings for the Acer AL2216W monitor so my xorg.conf file should have been sweet. Decided to try an older nvidia driver, so installed envyng & chose the 71.86.04 driver. Viola! Everything back to normal. Looking great again at 1680x1050!!! :-)

The latest nvidia drivers obviously have a big problem with my old
GeForce4 card and the specs of my 22" monitor. If I can be arsed I will
submit a bug report at some stage.

Hopefully updates in the future will fix any issues!

Thanks everybody for your help. Always impressed at how helpful people
are on this list.

cheers
Daryn
--

==========================
The PalmHeads:
http://planetnz.com/palmheads
PalmHeads Blog:
http://palmheads.blogspot.com


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM
niclas wahlgren
 
Default screen resolution

Can't get screen resolution up to 1600x1200.

xrandr says:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1280
VGA1 disconnected
DVI0 disconnected
VGA2 connected 1280x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x800 60.0
1280x768 60.0*
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.3
640x480 59.9
640x400 120.0
640x384 120.2
512x384 120.0

Both screen and video card manages 1600x1200. (works with winxp)
Whatever I try in screen configuration editor it says :
Sorry, this configuration video card driver
and monitor doesn't appear to work.

pkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not work like it used to. No
possibility to change video settings, only keyboard.


Any suggestions?

Usind sid, amd64, geforce 8500GT

/N


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default screen resolution

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/11/08 15:03, niclas wahlgren wrote:
> Can't get screen resolution up to 1600x1200.
>
> xrandr says:
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1280
> VGA1 disconnected
> DVI0 disconnected
> VGA2 connected 1280x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1280x800 60.0
> 1280x768 60.0*
> 1024x768 60.0
> 800x600 60.3
> 640x480 59.9
> 640x400 120.0
> 640x384 120.2
> 512x384 120.0
>
> Both screen and video card manages 1600x1200. (works with winxp)
> Whatever I try in screen configuration editor it says :
> Sorry, this configuration video card driver
> and monitor doesn't appear to work.
>
> pkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not work like it used to. No
> possibility to change video settings, only keyboard.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Usind sid, amd64, geforce 8500GT

What kind of monitor, and what is it's (max) resolution?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkh3y9EACgkQS9HxQb37Xmf96QCcCf+0yrIjPi DSo9h+FMRtbnT8
8pcAoNF/lZ2njhx5uClJZRlLcI0bC5Sx
=rpq6
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:57 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org