Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Daryn Hanright

Default screen resolution

* Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 22:12 +1200, Daryn Hanright wrote:
> > Have tried the new Screen Resolution, displayconfig-gtk,
> > nvidia-xconfig, manually editing old /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc etc.
>
> Have you also tried with the minimal xorg.conf that Xorg in 8.04 now
> uses? I'm asking because that works by far best for my Ati Radeon

I'm not sure now to be honest! Have tried so many things. How would I
get the default xorg.conf? Assume must be one somewhere I can copy
over.

Looks like its been a continued problem with the auto picking of screen
resolution etc

Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 22:33 +1200, Daryn Hanright wrote:
> I'm not sure now to be honest! Have tried so many things. How would I
> get the default xorg.conf? Assume must be one somewhere I can copy
> over.

I can't remember whether 8.04 backed up my old one and replaced it
during the upgrade from Gutsy, or whether I had problems and generated
one by a run of "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg".

I upgraded early and it's been a long time since ...

Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Karl Larsen

Daryn Hanright wrote:
> * Kelly Alford <alford_kell@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> After having upgraded to ubuntu 8.04 I am not able to get greater screen resolution than 800 by 600 screen resolution so the web pages are too big to fit on my screen. I want to be able to see the entire web page like I did in version fiesty fawn.
>>

> I have exactly the same problem. Was running 1680x1050 fine on Gutsy.
> But now its stuck on 800x600. Cannot increase it.
>
> Have tried so many different options after googling to try & get it to
> work to no avail.
>
> My card in a Nvidia GeForce4 (old I know).
>
> Have tried the new Screen Resolution, displayconfig-gtk, nvidia-xconfig, manually editing old /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc etc.
>
> The restricted drivers are enabled fine (using nvidia-glx). Have been
> using Ubuntu since the early days, but this one has me stumped!
>
> Am using a 22" Acer AL2216W LCD screen.

Just a thought. Your getting the fall back screen size when for some
reason, init can't figure out what it should be. Do you get a small
panel that says configure your xorg or continue?

Did you get a new kernel installed AFTER you installed the
restricted drivers?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-05-2008, 04:15 PM
NoOp

On 06/05/2008 03:12 AM, Daryn Hanright wrote:
> * Kelly Alford <alford_kell@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> After having upgraded to ubuntu 8.04 I am not able to get greater
>> screen resolution than 800 by 600 screen resolution so the web
>> pages are too big to fit on my screen. I want to be able to see the
>> entire web page like I did in version fiesty fawn.
>>

> I have exactly the same problem. Was running 1680x1050 fine on Gutsy.
> But now its stuck on 800x600. Cannot increase it.
>
> Have tried so many different options after googling to try & get it
> to work to no avail.
>
> My card in a Nvidia GeForce4 (old I know).
>
> Have tried the new Screen Resolution, displayconfig-gtk,
> nvidia-xconfig, manually editing old /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc etc.
>
> The restricted drivers are enabled fine (using nvidia-glx). Have been
> using Ubuntu since the early days, but this one has me stumped!
>
> Am using a 22" Acer AL2216W LCD screen.

I just installed that card on one of my systems in order to get compiz
working on that computer (on board is Intel 82815). I also initially had
problems with the resolution. The solution for me:

- reboot and select the recovery mode
- select the last option to xfix
- select the first option to resume

You can also check using xrandr to see if it's picking up your 1680x1050

man xrandr

[OT] Only problem that I have now is that I no longer have sound on that
when booting into 2.6.24-18-386 - sound does work w/2.6.24-18-generic

Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Karl Larsen

NoOp wrote:
> On 06/05/2008 03:12 AM, Daryn Hanright wrote:
>
>> * Kelly Alford <alford_kell@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> After having upgraded to ubuntu 8.04 I am not able to get greater
>>> screen resolution than 800 by 600 screen resolution so the web
>>> pages are too big to fit on my screen. I want to be able to see the
>>> entire web page like I did in version fiesty fawn.
>>>

>> I have exactly the same problem. Was running 1680x1050 fine on Gutsy.
>> But now its stuck on 800x600. Cannot increase it.
>>
>> Have tried so many different options after googling to try & get it
>> to work to no avail.
>>
>> My card in a Nvidia GeForce4 (old I know).
>>
>> Have tried the new Screen Resolution, displayconfig-gtk,
>> nvidia-xconfig, manually editing old /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc etc.
>>
>> The restricted drivers are enabled fine (using nvidia-glx). Have been
>> using Ubuntu since the early days, but this one has me stumped!
>>
>> Am using a 22" Acer AL2216W LCD screen.
>>

> I just installed that card on one of my systems in order to get compiz
> working on that computer (on board is Intel 82815). I also initially had
> problems with the resolution. The solution for me:
>
> - reboot and select the recovery mode
> - select the last option to xfix
> - select the first option to resume
>
> You can also check using xrandr to see if it's picking up your 1680x1050
>
> man xrandr
>
> [OT] Only problem that I have now is that I no longer have sound on that
> when booting into 2.6.24-18-386 - sound does work w/2.6.24-18-generic

I guess that I have never heard of xrandr! That is amazing because
it seems to be just what a person lacking screen resolution needs! I
have a version of 7.10 that went to minimum resolution just like so many
others have. I tried all I knew which was just bad.

Now back to the old 7.10 that is broken and see what it says. Here
is my current great working 7.10 looks like:

karl@karl-desktop:~$ man xrandr
karl@karl-desktop:~$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 248 x 240, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 50.0* 56.0
1280x960 51.0
1024x768 52.0 60.0 61.0
832x624 53.0
800x600 54.0 64.0 65.0 66.0 67.0
640x480 55.0 72.0 73.0 74.0 75.0
1280x800 57.0
1280x768 58.0
1152x864 59.0
960x600 62.0
840x525 63.0
800x512 68.0
720x450 69.0
640x512 70.0 71.0
640x400 76.0
640x384 77.0
576x432 78.0
512x384 79.0 80.0 81.0
416x312 82.0
400x300 83.0 84.0 85.0 86.0
320x240 87.0 88.0 89.0
248x248 90.0
karl@karl-desktop:~$

This is data you must have to fix your xorg files. And xrandr can fix
the problems, see man xrander.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Brendan Strunk

Try reinstalling the OS and see what happens

Old 06-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 17:53 -0700, Brendan Strunk wrote:
> Try reinstalling the OS and see what happens

Oh puleeze!! Reinstalling is usually not the best method to solve a
problem.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Daryn Hanright wrote:

> My card in a Nvidia GeForce4 (old I know).

I have the same card on an old desktop, and I get 1680x1050 on
a crt screen. (I had 1400x1050 with a flat panel lcd)
here is my device section:
Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000]"
Driver "nv"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Karl Larsen

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 17:53 -0700, Brendan Strunk wrote:
>
>> Try reinstalling the OS and see what happens
>>

> Oh puleeze!! Reinstalling is usually not the best method to solve a
> problem.

I didn't re-install but rather installed again in a new partition
7.10 and it came out a great system. The first one I did was flawed from
the beginning with nVidia video problems and when it just died in a
video way the new install was the right thing to do and it is sure nice.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
NoOp

On 06/05/2008 12:16 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:

> I guess that I have never heard of xrandr! That is amazing because
> it seems to be just what a person lacking screen resolution needs! I
> have a version of 7.10 that went to minimum resolution just like so many
> others have. I tried all I knew which was just bad.
>
> Now back to the old 7.10 that is broken and see what it says. Here
> is my current great working 7.10 looks like:
>
> karl@karl-desktop:~$ man xrandr
> karl@karl-desktop:~$ xrandr -q
> Screen 0: minimum 248 x 240, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
> default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm

You might find this helpful:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/randr-2007-02-06-17-50
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config