FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Install

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Bob McClure Jr
 
Default screen resolution

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:05:58PM +0100, John Dunn wrote:
> I want to increase the screen resolution in RHEL 5
>
> However Sytems Preferences...Screen Resolution only allows allows a
> maximum of 800x600
>
> Is this an issue with the video driver?

Not if it has correctly identified your video card. Assuming you are
running system-config-display, does it correctly identify your video
card?

How about the display? In my experience, if it doesn't correctly
detect what your display device, it limits you to safe resolutions.
If it has detected your display as some generic device, go through the
selection process to manually set the display type. If your exact
monitor is not listed, you may have to set it to something like
"Generic 1024x768" or whatever best fits your monitor.

> John Dunn
>
> Product Consultant
>
> Sefas Innovation Limited
>
> Direct Dial + 44 (0) 117 373 6122
>
> www.sefas.com <blocked::file:///C:/Documents and
> Settings/ransty/Application Data/Microsoft/Signatures/www.sefas.com>
>
> Sefas Innovation Ltd, CityPoint, Temple Gate, Bristol BS1 6PL, UK. Tel:
> +44 (0) 117 373 6114 Fax: +44 (0) 117 373 6115
>
> Sefas Innovation Limited. Registered No: 3769761 England. Registered
> Office: One New Street, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2LA, United Kingdom. VAT
> Registration No: GB 741 5377 32
>
> <lame disclamer punted>

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow
of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1 (NIV)

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 
Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 AM
"John Dunn"
 
Default screen resolution

OK, that did the trick, thanks



-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Campbell [mailtowc@u.washington.edu]
Sent: 21 April 2008 19:24
To: John Dunn
Subject: Re: screen resolution

John

What I have done is to invoke the Admin menu which has an icon for the
display.

On the display app that comes up I selected advanced and was able to
change resolutions there.

---------------------

When you are posting this type of message to the world, you might
consider turning off your wordy signature.

Besides, if you are using Linux you probably won't be distributing
viruses anyway.

John Dunn
Product Consultant
Sefas Innovation Limited
Direct Dial + 44 (0) 117 373 6122
www.sefas.com
Sefas Innovation Ltd, CityPoint, Temple Gate, Bristol BS1 6PL, UK. Tel:
+44 (0) 117 373 6114 Fax:
+44 (0) 117 373 6115
Sefas Innovation Limited. Registered No: 3769761 England. Registered
Office: One New Street, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2LA, United Kingdom. VAT
Registration No: GB 741 5377 32 Unless stated to be non-confidential,
this email and any attachments are private and confidential and are for
the addressee only. Sefas monitors e-mails to ensure its systems operate
effectively and to minimize the risk of viruses. Whilst Sefas has taken
reasonable steps to scan this email, it does not accept liability for
any virus that may be contained in it.
Internet communications are not 100% secure and as such Sefas is not
responsible for their abuse by 3rd parties, nor for any alteration or
corruption in transmission.



_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 
Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Gérald Jean
 
Default Screen resolution

Hello there,

I upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy last weekend, went like a charm, no
problems. One little glitch though that annoys me. The screen
resolution is VERY big and when I go to System > Preferences > Screen
Resolution I have only two options: 800 X 600 or 640 X 480, the first
one is VERY large resolution and the second LARGER yet. I had better
results and many more options with previous versions of Ubuntu. My
screen is an "Envision", if that matters and my graphics card an NVidia
(3 years old). Is there any ways to get a better resolution.

Thanks for any help,

Gérald Jean



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 AM
jack wallen
 
Default Screen resolution

Gérald Jean wrote:

My
screen is an "Envision", if that matters and my graphics card an NVidia
(3 years old). Is there any ways to get a better resolution.

Thanks for any help,

Gérald Jean


have you tried installing Envy? usually when someone has an NVidia card
i always tell them to first install that.







--
jack wallen
www.monkeypantz.net


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Willis Taylor
 
Default Screen resolution

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 21:37 -0400, jack wallen wrote:
> Gérald Jean wrote:
> > My
> > screen is an "Envision", if that matters and my graphics card an NVidia
> > (3 years old). Is there any ways to get a better resolution.
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Gérald Jean
> >
> >
> have you tried installing Envy? usually when someone has an NVidia card
> i always tell them to first install that.
>
> >
> >
>
I also run an Envision and I have this problem only if the monitor is
ready after the CPU fires up. As long as I turn the monitor on for 10
secss. before hitting the on button on the CPU I have ant res. up to
1280 x 1024. I hit upon the solution by doing a restart and that should
give you the ability to test this also.

to just set it go to System>Admin.>Screens and Graphics and set Plugand
Play at 1024 x 768.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2008, 06:59 AM
"Jonathan Gunawan"
 
Default Screen resolution

A few days ago I have the same problem but I found the resolution for
this issue with

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
or
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

CMIIW

Regards,
Gun

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Willis Taylor <th1bill@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 21:37 -0400, jack wallen wrote:
>> Gérald Jean wrote:
>> > My
>> > screen is an "Envision", if that matters and my graphics card an NVidia
>> > (3 years old). Is there any ways to get a better resolution.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help,
>> >
>> > Gérald Jean
>> >
>> >
>> have you tried installing Envy? usually when someone has an NVidia card
>> i always tell them to first install that.
>>
>> >
>> >
>>
> I also run an Envision and I have this problem only if the monitor is
> ready after the CPU fires up. As long as I turn the monitor on for 10
> secss. before hitting the on button on the CPU I have ant res. up to
> 1280 x 1024. I hit upon the solution by doing a restart and that should
> give you the ability to test this also.
>
> to just set it go to System>Admin.>Screens and Graphics and set Plugand
> Play at 1024 x 768.
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Kelly Alford
 
Default screen resolution

After having upgraded to ubuntu 8.04 I am not able to get greater screen resolution than 800 by 600 screen resolution so the web pages are too big to fit on my screen. I want to be able to see the entire web page like I did in version fiesty fawn.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default screen resolution

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 19:16 -0700, Kelly Alford wrote:
> After having upgraded to ubuntu 8.04 I am not able to get greater
> screen resolution than 800 by 600 screen resolution so the web pages
> are too big to fit on my screen.
>



We need more information: which graphics card hardware do you use? Which
resolution did you expect to have (And had in Feisty)?

Try to open "Screen Resolution" from menu System > Preferences. Can you
change the resolution there?

Please attach the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the reply.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Daryn Hanright
 
Default screen resolution

* Kelly Alford <alford_kell@yahoo.com> wrote:

> After having upgraded to ubuntu 8.04 I am not able to get greater screen resolution than 800 by 600 screen resolution so the web pages are too big to fit on my screen. I want to be able to see the entire web page like I did in version fiesty fawn.
>

I have exactly the same problem. Was running 1680x1050 fine on Gutsy.
But now its stuck on 800x600. Cannot increase it.

Have tried so many different options after googling to try & get it to
work to no avail.

My card in a Nvidia GeForce4 (old I know).

Have tried the new Screen Resolution, displayconfig-gtk, nvidia-xconfig, manually editing old /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc etc.

The restricted drivers are enabled fine (using nvidia-glx). Have been
using Ubuntu since the early days, but this one has me stumped!

Am using a 22" Acer AL2216W LCD screen.
--

==========================
The PalmHeads:
http://planetnz.com/palmheads
PalmHeads Blog:
http://palmheads.blogspot.com


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default screen resolution

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 22:12 +1200, Daryn Hanright wrote:
> Have tried the new Screen Resolution, displayconfig-gtk,
> nvidia-xconfig, manually editing old /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc etc.

Have you also tried with the minimal xorg.conf that Xorg in 8.04 now
uses? I'm asking because that works by far best for my Ati Radeon


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org