Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Screen resolution

Reindl Harald wrote:

>> Am I right in thinking (from the use of the word "Auto")
>> that this is the hardware resolution of the LCD screen?
>
> usually yes
>
>> And if so, is it best to keep to that resolution
>> and modify font size to make text on the display more readable?
>> Or is it equally reasonable to change the display size?
>
> LCD screens usually have only a sharp picture if they are
> running with their native resolution and it makes no
> sense to change it

Thanks for your response, which clears up a long-standing query of mine.

I shall try to make text more readable by enlarging the fonts.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 AM
nomnex

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 23:49:22 +0100
> Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

<snip>

> I shall try to make text more readable by enlarging the fonts.

Just for the record, I have a 15' 4:3 notebook, the screen has a
(ridiculously high) resolution of 1400x1050.
I set the same ratio 4:3, to a slightly lower resolution 1280x960 (and
I increased the font size). That's right. it's a tad less crisp (not so
much in fact), but it's more comfortable to my eyes. So, in the end,
try your options and choose what's best for you.

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex

Old 09-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Timothy Murphy

nomnex wrote:

Just for the record, I have a 15' 4:3 notebook, the screen has a
> (ridiculously high) resolution of 1400x1050.
> I set the same ratio 4:3, to a slightly lower resolution 1280x960 (and
> I increased the font size). That's right. it's a tad less crisp (not so
> much in fact), but it's more comfortable to my eyes. So, in the end,
> try your options and choose what's best for you.

Thanks for your response.

At the moment I have increased all font sizes to 16pt,
which makes most things readable.

The main problem lies with some web-pages.
I guess the font size in these is fixed?
I know I can zoom out with Ctl-++ .
But is there any way of requiring web-pages
to use larger fonts?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Steven Stern

On 09/05/2012 10:37 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> nomnex wrote:
>
> Just for the record, I have a 15' 4:3 notebook, the screen has a
>> (ridiculously high) resolution of 1400x1050.
>> I set the same ratio 4:3, to a slightly lower resolution 1280x960 (and
>> I increased the font size). That's right. it's a tad less crisp (not so
>> much in fact), but it's more comfortable to my eyes. So, in the end,
>> try your options and choose what's best for you.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> At the moment I have increased all font sizes to 16pt,
> which makes most things readable.
>
> The main problem lies with some web-pages.
> I guess the font size in these is fixed?
> I know I can zoom out with Ctl-++ .
> But is there any way of requiring web-pages
> to use larger fonts?

That's in your browser's settings. In Chrome, it's SETTINGS -> ADVANCED
-> WEB CONTENT. There's something similar in FF.

--
-- Steve

Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 16:37 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> is there any way of requiring web-pages to use larger fonts?

Some web browsers do let you do that. Those with with the extremely
minimal user-interface and configuration options mayn't.

However, do this with caution, and test it out. I've seen pages where
you increase the size of the fonts, only for them to be cropped off. As
the author has specified small fonts constrained inside a fixed-size box
or a form text-field box, which doesn't enlarge with a bigger font size.

Some browsers change font sizing with a zoom feature, which will also
increase the graphics size. That may, or may not, be a desirable
feature.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Tim

Timothy Murphy:
>> is there any way of requiring web-pages to use larger fonts?

Tim"
> Some web browsers do let you do that....

Got distracted, and didn't include what I meant to:

There usually are settings to set the default font size, which will be
used with pages that don't set any font sizes, or have used relative
sizing (i.e. bigger or smaller sizes, rather than absolute point or
pixel sizing).

And there may be settings for the minimum font size, and the browser
will not let anything smaller be used. So if the author specified
anything from 6pt to 12pt text, and your minimum had been set at 14pt
text, their fine print would be 14pt in size. Only larger than 14pt
text instructions will be obeyed by your browser.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Ian Malone

On 6 September 2012 04:40, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 16:37 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> is there any way of requiring web-pages to use larger fonts?
>
> Some web browsers do let you do that. Those with with the extremely
> minimal user-interface and configuration options mayn't.
>
> However, do this with caution, and test it out. I've seen pages where
> you increase the size of the fonts, only for them to be cropped off. As
> the author has specified small fonts constrained inside a fixed-size box
> or a form text-field box, which doesn't enlarge with a bigger font size.
>
> Some browsers change font sizing with a zoom feature, which will also
> increase the graphics size. That may, or may not, be a desirable
> feature.

Incidentally, if you have a problem with a site like this that you
need to use regularly it's worth emailing them to highlight the
problem and also point them to the W3C accessibility pages
http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility

If you're dealing with a UK company it's a legal requirement for them
to address accessibility (while not completely familiar with the law
on this I think it may apply to all UK sites, however a bank would
probably be more concerned about it than some individual blogger).
http://www.rnib.org.uk/professionals/webaccessibility/lawsandstandards/Pages/uk_law.aspx
Other countries may also have legal requirements for accessibility
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_accessibility#Legally_required_web_accessibili ty

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Timothy Murphy

Tim wrote:

> Some browsers change font sizing with a zoom feature, which will also
> increase the graphics size. That may, or may not, be a desirable
> feature.

Thanks for your response.

I find zooming (Ctl-++ in Firefox) does give the best solution.
I guess what I would really like would be if Zoom In could be chosen
in some way as the default, with the option to Zoom Out if one wants.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Ian Malone

On 6 September 2012 12:55, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> Some browsers change font sizing with a zoom feature, which will also
>> increase the graphics size. That may, or may not, be a desirable
>> feature.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I find zooming (Ctl-++ in Firefox) does give the best solution.
> I guess what I would really like would be if Zoom In could be chosen
> in some way as the default, with the option to Zoom Out if one wants.

It looks like the NoSquint addon that Matthew Miller mentioned can do this.