Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default screen resolution

<snip>
> >> If you don't see your 1920x1080 in there, then you can forcing it by
> >> trying "xrandr --mode 1920x1080" to see if that'll bite. If it does,
> >> then you can add appropriate lines to your xorg.conf file.
> > tried what yoou suggest. Although man xrandr says there is a --mode
> > option when I run xrandr --mode I get a response that the option does
> > not exist. Why is that?
>
> Ah, yes. Try "xrandr --fb 1920x1080". I think "--mode" was for a
> previous version of xrandr. Did just "xrandr" show the ability to do
> 1920x1080? I'm trying to see if your monitor or cable just isn't
> reporting the EDID info properly.
I am not the original poster but I was just trying this method to
configure my screen. In my case 1280x1024. When I ran:
xrandr --fb 1289x1024
I got the error message:
xrandr: Failed to get the size of gamma for output default.

What does that mean?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Rick Stevens

On 02/09/2012 02:30 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

[...]

I've been playing with this. First off, do "xrandr" all by itself to
find out what your outputs are called. In my case, here's what I see:

[root@prophead ~]# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 598mm x 336mm

1920x1080 60.0*+ 60.0
1600x1200 60.0
1680x1050 60.0
1280x1024 75.0 60.0
1440x900 59.9
1280x960 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 72.8 75.0 66.7 60.0
720x400 70.1
DVI-I-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

So, I actually have two outputs, one called "DVI-I-1" (which is the
active one and is currently in 1920x1080 mode) and "DVI-I-2" (which
isn't hooked up to a monitor right now). My active monitor can handle
all the modes listed below it. To change to 1600x1200 mode:

xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1600x1200

I just did this on my laptop (F16) to prove the concept and it did
work. The missing gamma thing is because you didn't specify an output,
and the "--mode" does work, but only when "--output" is also specified.

I should read the man pages more thoroughly myself. Sorry if I
confused anyone. You may now hurl angry birds at me if you wish.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Patrick Dupre

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Aaron Konstam wrote:

<snip>
>> If you don't see your 1920x1080 in there, then you can forcing it by

>> trying "xrandr --mode 1920x1080" to see if that'll bite. If it does,
>> then you can add appropriate lines to your xorg.conf file.
> tried what yoou suggest. Although man xrandr says there is a --mode
> option when I run xrandr --mode I get a response that the option does
> not exist. Why is that?

Ah, yes. Try "xrandr --fb 1920x1080". I think "--mode" was for a
previous version of xrandr. Did just "xrandr" show the ability to do
1920x1080? I'm trying to see if your monitor or cable just isn't
reporting the EDID info properly.

I am not the original poster but I was just trying this method to
configure my screen. In my case 1280x1024. When I ran:
xrandr --fb 1289x1024
I got the error message:
xrandr: Failed to get the size of gamma for output default.

What does that mean?

Probably, it is because you are using a xorg.conf file.
Remove it and eventually do the same by using
xorg.conf.d/ files

---

Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 15:15 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 02:30 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> Ah, yes. Try "xrandr --fb 1920x1080". I think "--mode" was for a
> >> previous version of xrandr. Did just "xrandr" show the ability to do
> >> 1920x1080? I'm trying to see if your monitor or cable just isn't
> >> reporting the EDID info properly.
> > I am not the original poster but I was just trying this method to
> > configure my screen. In my case 1280x1024. When I ran:
> > xrandr --fb 1289x1024
> > I got the error message:
> > xrandr: Failed to get the size of gamma for output default.
> >
> > What does that mean?
>
> I've been playing with this. First off, do "xrandr" all by itself to
> find out what your outputs are called. In my case, here's what I see:
>
> [root@prophead ~]# xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
> DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 598mm x 336mm
> 1920x1080 60.0*+ 60.0
> 1600x1200 60.0
> 1680x1050 60.0
> 1280x1024 75.0 60.0
> 1440x900 59.9
> 1280x960 60.0
> 1152x864 75.0
> 1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
> 832x624 74.6
> 800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
> 640x480 72.8 75.0 66.7 60.0
> 720x400 70.1
> DVI-I-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> So, I actually have two outputs, one called "DVI-I-1" (which is the
> active one and is currently in 1920x1080 mode) and "DVI-I-2" (which
> isn't hooked up to a monitor right now). My active monitor can handle
> all the modes listed below it. To change to 1600x1200 mode:
>
> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1600x1200
>
> I just did this on my laptop (F16) to prove the concept and it did
> work. The missing gamma thing is because you didn't specify an output,
> and the "--mode" does work, but only when "--output" is also specified.
>
> I should read the man pages more thoroughly myself. Sorry if I
> confused anyone. You may now hurl angry birds at me if you wish.
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - Microsoft Windows: Proof that P.T. Barnum was right -

That cleared thing up. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Timothy Murphy

I have what I suspect is a very ignorant question
about the display resolution on my Thinkpad T60 (running Fedora-17/KDE),
which I find too high for my aging eyesight.

When I go to System Settings=>Hardware=>Display and Monitor
on my Thinkpad T60 (Fedora 17/KDE) I am told that the Size is set to
1680x1050 (Auto)

I see from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard>
that this setting is WSXGA+
(Widescreen Super Extended Graphics Array Plus)
with aspect ration 16:10.

Am I right in thinking (from the use of the word "Auto")
that this is the hardware resolution of the LCD screen?

And if so, is it best to keep to that resolution
and modify font size to make text on the display more readable?
Or is it equally reasonable to change the display size?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 04.09.2012 14:23, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Am I right in thinking (from the use of the word "Auto")
> that this is the hardware resolution of the LCD screen?

usually yes

> And if so, is it best to keep to that resolution
> and modify font size to make text on the display more readable?
> Or is it equally reasonable to change the display size?

LCD screens usually have only a sharp picture if they are
running with their native resolution and it makes no
sense to change it

Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 PM
John Wendel

On 09/04/2012 05:23 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have what I suspect is a very ignorant question
about the display resolution on my Thinkpad T60 (running Fedora-17/KDE),
which I find too high for my aging eyesight.

When I go to System Settings=>Hardware=>Display and Monitor
on my Thinkpad T60 (Fedora 17/KDE) I am told that the Size is set to
1680x1050 (Auto)

I see from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard>
that this setting is WSXGA+
(Widescreen Super Extended Graphics Array Plus)
with aspect ration 16:10.

Am I right in thinking (from the use of the word "Auto")
that this is the hardware resolution of the LCD screen?

And if so, is it best to keep to that resolution
and modify font size to make text on the display more readable?
Or is it equally reasonable to change the display size?

I dont' think 1680 x 1050 is the correct native resolution for your
display, unless yours has a different resolution from the one I had.
Mine was 1400 x 1050. Sorry I don't have it any more, so I can't provide
more details.

You should check your specs and set the resolution to the native screen
resolution. Then adjust the font size for readability.

Regards,

John

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Timothy Murphy

John Wendel wrote:

>> When I go to System Settings=>Hardware=>Display and Monitor
>> on my Thinkpad T60 (Fedora 17/KDE) I am told that the Size is set to
>> 1680x1050 (Auto)
>> Am I right in thinking (from the use of the word "Auto")
>> that this is the hardware resolution of the LCD screen?
>>
>> And if so, is it best to keep to that resolution
>> and modify font size to make text on the display more readable?
>> Or is it equally reasonable to change the display size?

> I dont' think 1680 x 1050 is the correct native resolution for your
> display, unless yours has a different resolution from the one I had.
> Mine was 1400 x 1050. Sorry I don't have it any more, so I can't provide
> more details.

Thanks for your response.

I made a slight error in describing my Thinkpad.
In fact it is a T61 type 6460 (15.4in).

The size 1680x1050 seems reasonable, since that is
the physical aspect ratio of the screen (33cmx21cm).

Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Steven Stern

On 09/04/2012 07:23 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I have what I suspect is a very ignorant question
> about the display resolution on my Thinkpad T60 (running Fedora-17/KDE),
> which I find too high for my aging eyesight.
>
> When I go to System Settings=>Hardware=>Display and Monitor
> on my Thinkpad T60 (Fedora 17/KDE) I am told that the Size is set to
> 1680x1050 (Auto)
>
> I see from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard>
> that this setting is WSXGA+
> (Widescreen Super Extended Graphics Array Plus)
> with aspect ration 16:10.
>
> Am I right in thinking (from the use of the word "Auto")
> that this is the hardware resolution of the LCD screen?
>
> And if so, is it best to keep to that resolution
> and modify font size to make text on the display more readable?
> Or is it equally reasonable to change the display size?

Pick larger fonts. If you change the display size, you'll start seeing
jaggies and other oddities. If you leave the display at its native
resolution, you'll do best.

--
-- Steve

Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Matthew Miller

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 01:29:08PM -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> > And if so, is it best to keep to that resolution
> > and modify font size to make text on the display more readable?
> > Or is it equally reasonable to change the display size?
> Pick larger fonts. If you change the display size, you'll start seeing
> jaggies and other oddities. If you leave the display at its native
> resolution, you'll do best.

Agreed. I find the NoSquint Firefox plugin invaluable here:

https://urandom.ca/nosquint/

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect -- SEAS Computing