FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Install

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 19:01 +1200, chris wrote:

>
> The base install, with either programe, with out the nvidia 173 driver
> gives a res of 1064x 640. Yuk!
>
> With the 173 driver it defaults to 800x600!
> Go figure

Mine would do the very same thing, using the gnome base package monitor
configuration thingie application... but if I use the nVidia supplied X
configuration tool, to set a higher resolution, ~and apply and then
write it out~, I can go back to the monitor setup-up and THEN set it to
the correct resolution, as it now has a choice to do so, showing up in
it's pick-n-chose drop-down list, where it didn't before. Makes sense?
That's OK, I get confused easily too, in my dottage and pain-killers.

So, I had to bounce from one to the other to get to where I wanted to
be. THEN it worked. I leave the timing on "auto" as setting my 21"
display to 85 hz it went ape. Maybe my FX-5500 just ain't up to the
task, I dunno. My monitor manual sez that is where it should be, but
either nvidia or X or the card ain't handling it. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 15:22 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 19:01 +1200, chris wrote:
>
> >
> > The base install, with either programe, with out the nvidia 173 driver
> > gives a res of 1064x 640. Yuk!
> >
> > With the 173 driver it defaults to 800x600!
> > Go figure
>
> Mine would do the very same thing, using the gnome base package monitor
> configuration thingie application... but if I use the nVidia supplied X
> configuration tool, to set a higher resolution, ~and apply and then
> write it out~, I can go back to the monitor setup-up and THEN set it to
> the correct resolution, as it now has a choice to do so, showing up in
> it's pick-n-chose drop-down list, where it didn't before. Makes sense?
> That's OK, I get confused easily too, in my dottage and pain-killers.
>
<snip>
Except that with the nvidia driver, I cannot get a resolution higher
than 320x200. go figure!
I have an intuitive idea that the system is not getting any edid
information from the monitor, as cvt gives no input.
Not to sure how to procedd from here
Chris
>
> --
> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
> "There are two Great Sins in the world...
> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
> Linux user# 44256
>
>




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 08:28 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 15:22 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 19:01 +1200, chris wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > The base install, with either programe, with out the nvidia 173 driver
> > > gives a res of 1064x 640. Yuk!
> > >
> > > With the 173 driver it defaults to 800x600!
> > > Go figure
> >
> > Mine would do the very same thing, using the gnome base package monitor
> > configuration thingie application... but if I use the nVidia supplied X
> > configuration tool, to set a higher resolution, ~and apply and then
> > write it out~, I can go back to the monitor setup-up and THEN set it to
> > the correct resolution, as it now has a choice to do so, showing up in
> > it's pick-n-chose drop-down list, where it didn't before. Makes sense?
> > That's OK, I get confused easily too, in my dottage and pain-killers.
> >
> <snip>
> Except that with the nvidia driver, I cannot get a resolution higher
> than 320x200. go figure!

That blows my mind as the old 5200 is pretty solid. It is long in the
tooth though. But, I just changed mine out about a year ago for a 5500.
It worked just fine up till then. Didja try to open jockey and purge the
nvidia driver, reboot and crank up jockey again to re-install the
driver?? Cripes, something has to give. Worse comes to worse, you may
have to install the nvidia bin file straight from nvidia, but that would
be my ~very last~ resort. It doesn't install library stuff in the
"standard" Ubuntu locations. I know, I'm weeping WITH you. <chuckles>
Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 PM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 16:54 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 08:28 +1200, chris wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 15:22 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 19:01 +1200, chris wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > > The base install, with either programe, with out the nvidia 173 driver
> > > > gives a res of 1064x 640. Yuk!
> > > >
<snip>
> Worse comes to worse, you may
> have to install the nvidia bin file straight from nvidia, but that would
> be my ~very last~ resort. It doesn't install library stuff in the
> "standard" Ubuntu locations. I know, I'm weeping WITH you. <chuckles>

I have to face fairly major surgery in the next week or so, so I am not
sweeting on this one. It is a spare machine that I thought I would set
up as a backup system in case of hardware failure on my other machines.
Purely as an email/newsgroup collector.

I am still pursuing the thought that the beast is not getting the edid
information from the monitor. This idea is supported by the fact that I
can install mint/ubuntu 10... onto a crt monitor with no trouble, and
the full range of resolutions.

Current thought is to install the system using the crt monitor, then set
the resolution using the 173 driver, write out to xorg.conf then hook up
the new monitor and see what happens,
Will get back to you when I have gone through that process.
Cheers Chris


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 10:01 +1200, chris wrote:

> Current thought is to install the system using the crt monitor, then set
> the resolution using the 173 driver, write out to xorg.conf then hook up
> the new monitor and see what happens,
> Will get back to you when I have gone through that process.
> Cheers Chris

Good on you, Chris. It's usually something we humans just overlook, and
the damn computer is doing what we tell it to do, even if we didn't. To
anyone else reading this, take a Percoset (if you LEGALLY have a
prescription, for pain relief) and it'll make absolute sense. Ric

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 20:18 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 10:01 +1200, chris wrote:
>
> > Current thought is to install the system using the crt monitor, then set
> > the resolution using the 173 driver, write out to xorg.conf then hook up
> > the new monitor and see what happens,
> > Will get back to you when I have gone through that process.
> > Cheers Chris
>
> Good on you, Chris. It's usually something we humans just overlook, and
> the damn computer is doing what we tell it to do, even if we didn't. To
> anyone else reading this, take a Percoset (if you LEGALLY have a
> prescription, for pain relief) and it'll make absolute sense. Ric
>
> --
> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
> "There are two Great Sins in the world...
> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
> Linux user# 44256
>
>

We can't get percoset in this crazy country!!


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Andrew Wood
 
Default Screen resolution

Ive got an LCD screen whose native resolution is 1440x900 yet i can only
get Wheezy to display 1024x768. No higher resolution is listed in System
Settings. How do I enable a higher resolution please?



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F063971.2020801@me.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F063971.2020801@me.com
 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Andrew Wood
 
Default Screen resolution

Sorry. should also have added the graphics chipset is an intel gma 950
integrated onto an atom itx motherboard.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F063DA3.6010704@me.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F063DA3.6010704@me.com
 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Bob Proulx
 
Default Screen resolution

Andrew Wood wrote:
> Ive got an LCD screen whose native resolution is 1440x900 yet i can
> only get Wheezy to display 1024x768. No higher resolution is listed
> in System Settings. How do I enable a higher resolution please?

This is probably an issue of your graphics card rather than the
display itself. Please furnish information about what graphics card
is in your system. You can use the output of the lspci command to
find this.

On my system, for example:

$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Bob
 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Andrew Wood
 
Default Screen resolution

Hi Bob

lspci gives:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME
Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)




On 06/01/12 00:23, Bob Proulx wrote:

Andrew Wood wrote:

Ive got an LCD screen whose native resolution is 1440x900 yet i can
only get Wheezy to display 1024x768. No higher resolution is listed
in System Settings. How do I enable a higher resolution please?

This is probably an issue of your graphics card rather than the
display itself. Please furnish information about what graphics card
is in your system. You can use the output of the lspci command to
find this.

On my system, for example:

$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Bob



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F0640AD.8020006@me.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F0640AD.8020006@me.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org