FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Install

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 19:25 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 18:49 +1200, chris wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 01:49 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
<snip>
> > This cancer ain't fun. :-(
>
> Just yell at the nurse, "PAIN PILL!" and they'll stuff you up with
> something better than an aspirin, just to shut you up. <chuckles>
>
> > Thanks for pointers and will get back to you
>
> I hope something works for you.
>
What for the resolution problem, or the cancer? :-)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2011, 05:52 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default screen resolution

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 17:31:23 +1200
chris <chevhq@gmail.com> wrote:

> What for the resolution problem, or the cancer? :-)

Well,


... yeah.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
Winduhs

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 17:31 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 19:25 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 18:49 +1200, chris wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 01:49 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> <snip>
> > > This cancer ain't fun. :-(
> >
> > Just yell at the nurse, "PAIN PILL!" and they'll stuff you up with
> > something better than an aspirin, just to shut you up. <chuckles>
> >
> > > Thanks for pointers and will get back to you
> >
> > I hope something works for you.
> >
> What for the resolution problem, or the cancer? :-)

Both, of course! It's best to get all you want, as long as it isn't
illegal. That's my motto. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 02:25 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 17:31 +1200, chris wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 19:25 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 18:49 +1200, chris wrote:
> > > > On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 01:49 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > > This cancer ain't fun. :-(
> > >
> > > Just yell at the nurse, "PAIN PILL!" and they'll stuff you up with
> > > something better than an aspirin, just to shut you up. <chuckles>
> > >
> > > > Thanks for pointers and will get back to you
> > >
> > > I hope something works for you.
> > >
> > What for the resolution problem, or the cancer? :-)
>
> Both, of course! It's best to get all you want, as long as it isn't
> illegal. That's my motto. Ric
>
>
> --
> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
> "There are two Great Sins in the world...
> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
> Linux user# 44256
>
>

I think in NZ everything is illegal. :-)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 17:26 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 27/03/2011 14:29, chris wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
<snip>
> But you don't say what resolution you get with XP :-) .
>
1600x1200
> I have 3 ViewSonic lcds and each working perfectly at its native
> resolution. Which ViewSonic model do you have?
>
Viewsonic vx 2235 native resolution 1600x1200
> How do you have them connected to the card- analog cable or digital cable?

analogue
> And which nVidia card do you have (and which driver for it do you have
> installed)?
>

Geforce Fx5200 using nvidia drive 173 listed as correct and chosen as
such by both ubuntu 10.04.2 and Mint 10.4


This is getting crazy. I have reinstalled both Ubuntu 10.04, and mint
10.04 using the same system video card and nvidia driver on my Sanyo
CRT, and can get a range of resolutions up to 1600x1200, ( which the
Sanyo supports).

However I cannot get the resolution to "stick", and the moment the
Viewsonic is plugged in I get 640x 320, or it will not boot.

Where does ubuntu now keep its resolution information?

Writing xorg files just seem to be ignored.

Ideas please before I go completely insane

--
Cheers the kiwi


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 11:07 +1200, chris wrote:

> Writing xorg files just seem to be ignored.
>
> Ideas please before I go completely insane

Didja try removing the Nuevau <sp?> driver package, then reboot? Crap,
can't spell it. My previous card was a FX-5200, and it worked well. It's
not a graphics monster by any stretch, but it should do what you want it
to do. I remember having a similar issue in the past. I go out of my way
to insure that the Nuevau package isn't installed so nothing tries to
replace or confuse the nVidia driver. It's kind of like Pulse, you love
it cause it works for you or you don't. There is little in-between.

Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 22:36 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 11:07 +1200, chris wrote:
>
> > Writing xorg files just seem to be ignored.
> >
> > Ideas please before I go completely insane
>
> Didja try removing the Nuevau <sp?> driver package, then reboot? Crap,
> can't spell it. My previous card was a FX-5200, and it worked well. It's
> not a graphics monster by any stretch, but it should do what you want it
> to do. I remember having a similar issue in the past. I go out of my way
> to insure that the Nuevau package isn't installed so nothing tries to
> replace or confuse the nVidia driver. It's kind of like Pulse, you love
> it cause it works for you or you don't. There is little in-between.
>
> Ric
>

will give that ago, and get back to you.
With the nvidia driver the screen res drops back to 320x200!
chris


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 14:49 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 22:36 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 11:07 +1200, chris wrote:
> >
> > > Writing xorg files just seem to be ignored.
> > >
> > > Ideas please before I go completely insane
> >
> > Didja try removing the Nuevau <sp?> driver package, then reboot? Crap,
> > can't spell it. My previous card was a FX-5200, and it worked well. It's
> > not a graphics monster by any stretch, but it should do what you want it
> > to do. I remember having a similar issue in the past. I go out of my way
> > to insure that the Nuevau package isn't installed so nothing tries to
> > replace or confuse the nVidia driver. It's kind of like Pulse, you love
> > it cause it works for you or you don't. There is little in-between.
> >
> > Ric
> >
>
> will give that ago, and get back to you.
> With the nvidia driver the screen res drops back to 320x200!

I hope that works for you, it would have me pulling my hair out. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default screen resolution

On 10/04/2011 09:07, chris wrote:

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 17:26 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 27/03/2011 14:29, chris wrote:

Hi,
I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.

<snip>

But you don't say what resolution you get with XP :-) .


1600x1200

I have 3 ViewSonic lcds and each working perfectly at its native
resolution. Which ViewSonic model do you have?


Viewsonic vx 2235 native resolution 1600x1200



Sorry for taking some time to respond but I have been fooling around
with testing a new distro/DEs.



Now, most sorry to say this but if the above details ARE correct then
the native resolution of the monitor you have is 1680x1050.


A resolution of 1600x1200 gives you are ration of 1:1.33333 - which is
the standard 4:3 monitor of old.


You have a widescreen monitor and with a resolution of 1680x1050 -
exactly as my wife's set-up - you get the ratio of 1:1.6 (which is
16:10). (My monitor is a 24" ViewSonic with a resolution of 1920x1080p -
giving me a 16:9 ratio which is the standard/typical digital HD ration
(1:1.7)


If you doubt me, look here:

http://www.graphic-design.com/DTG/Reviews/viewsonic.html

So, please check that you have provided the correct model description of
your ViewSonic.




Having said all this, I asked you about. and you responded, that you are
using the Geforce FX5200 nVidia card.


I asked you whether the card was connected to the monitor with an
analogue or a digital cable - your answer was that it was analogue.
(Question: does *your* FX5200 have a DVI connector or only the analogue
outlet?)


While this will not provide the answer, I could never get this card to
work correctly on wife's system using a DVI cable. The only way the
FX5200 would produce anything viewable and according to the native
resolution was to use an analogue cable. I have NO idea why this was the
case....but there it is: FX5200 + DVI cable = no-go; FX5200 + analogue
cable = OK. And yet at least one person used the FX5200 card+DVI cable
to get perfect results. Go figure :-( .


Please check and confirm that the details you have provided are correct.
You may be trying to force the monitor to do things which you shouldn't
-- and as Windows "wouldn't know it's arse from a hole in the ground" is
probably why it gives you a resolution which the monitor really cannot
support :-) (and therefore possibly damaging your monitor). [In other
words, the driver in Windows which was installed is not the right one
for the monitor.......]


BC


--
Great Man reaches complete understanding of the main issues; Petty Man reaches complete understanding of the minute details."

Confucius


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2011, 07:01 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 16:19 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 09:07, chris wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 17:26 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> >> On 27/03/2011 14:29, chris wrote:
> >>> Hi,
> >>> I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
> > <snip>
> >> But you don't say what resolution you get with XP :-) .
> >>
> > 1600x1200
> >> I have 3 ViewSonic lcds and each working perfectly at its native
> >> resolution. Which ViewSonic model do you have?
> >>
> > Viewsonic vx 2235 native resolution 1600x1200
>
>
> Sorry for taking some time to respond but I have been fooling around
> with testing a new distro/DEs.
>
>
> Now, most sorry to say this but if the above details ARE correct then
> the native resolution of the monitor you have is 1680x1050.
>

Yes, for some reason I typed 1600 x1200. Old age and pain killers!

> A resolution of 1600x1200 gives you are ration of 1:1.33333 - which is
> the standard 4:3 monitor of old.
>
> You have a widescreen monitor and with a resolution of 1680x1050 -
> exactly as my wife's set-up - you get the ratio of 1:1.6 (which is
> 16:10). (My monitor is a 24" ViewSonic with a resolution of 1920x1080p -
> giving me a 16:9 ratio which is the standard/typical digital HD ration
> (1:1.7)
>
> If you doubt me, look here:
>
> http://www.graphic-design.com/DTG/Reviews/viewsonic.html
>
> So, please check that you have provided the correct model description of
> your ViewSonic.
>
>
>

Yes, the model is correct. What I have discovered since, is that for
some reason the edid information is not being read.
Question is why.

> Having said all this, I asked you about. and you responded, that you are
> using the Geforce FX5200 nVidia card.
>
> I asked you whether the card was connected to the monitor with an
> analogue or a digital cable - your answer was that it was analogue.
> (Question: does *your* FX5200 have a DVI connector or only the analogue
> outlet?)
>

Only the analogue.

> While this will not provide the answer, I could never get this card to
> work correctly on wife's system using a DVI cable. The only way the
> FX5200 would produce anything viewable and according to the native
> resolution was to use an analogue cable. I have NO idea why this was the
> case....but there it is: FX5200 + DVI cable = no-go; FX5200 + analogue
>
> --
> Great Man reaches complete understanding of the main issues; Petty Man
reaches complete understanding of the minute details."
>
> Confucius
>
>
>

> cable = OK. And yet at least one person used the FX5200 card+DVI cable
> to get perfect results. Go figure :-( .
>

Having trouble standing and you want me to figure? :-)

> Please check and confirm that the details you have provided are correct.
> You may be trying to force the monitor to do things which you shouldn't
> -- and as Windows "wouldn't know it's arse from a hole in the ground" is
> probably why it gives you a resolution which the monitor really cannot
> support :-) (and therefore possibly damaging your monitor). [In other
> words, the driver in Windows which was installed is not the right one
> for the monitor.......]
>
> BC

Yes the driver is the correct one for windows, and the res is correct at
1680 x 1050 under windows.

So, after a couple of reinstalls using both Ubuntu 10.04, and mint
10.4, am no further ahead.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

The base install, with either programe, with out the nvidia 173 driver
gives a res of 1064x 640. Yuk!

With the 173 driver it defaults to 800x600!
Go figure

My wifes machine with 8.04 using xorg. no issues 1680x 1050.

Hair pulling out time
cheers Chris


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org