FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Install

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 01:15 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 21:55 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> > On 03/26/2011 09:50 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 16:29 +1300, chris wrote:
> > >> Hi,
> > >> I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
> > >>
> > >> Chris
> > > The trick with the Nvidia X-Server Settings application is on the second
> > > tab (X Server Display Configuration), to write out the new configuration
> > > to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It's obscure and I missed it myself for some
> > > time. You can adjust and play with the setup to your heart's content,
> > > but no changes are permanent until you manually save them by clicking on
> > > "Save to X Configuration File". I guess that's a good thing, in case you
> > > chose a setting that blows everything up. You wouldn't save it and a
> > > reboot would recover to the previous state. Hope this helps. Ric
> >
> >
> > And I could never get it to work until I ran it as root. Probably took
> > me a couple of years to finally get it working ;-).
>
> Now it will ask for the master user password to confirm the write!
> Things are improving since back when! Ric
>
Thanks to all, I will have another play over the next few days, and get
back to you
Cheers Chris


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default screen resolution

On 27/03/2011 14:29, chris wrote:

Hi,
I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
This is a back up machine that I have configured with Ubuntu 10.4.2.

It is dual boot with windows xp

Under ubuntu, I can not get a higher screen resolution than 1040x768.


But you don't say what resolution you get with XP :-) .

I have 3 ViewSonic lcds and each working perfectly at its native
resolution. Which ViewSonic model do you have?


How do you have them connected to the card- analog cable or digital cable?

And which nVidia card do you have (and which driver for it do you have
installed)?



I am using a viewsonic lcd screen with a native resolution of 1600x1200.

Nothing I have tried, googled, or downloaded in the way of nvidia
drivers will allow a higher resolution
Any ideas thoughts etc greatly appreciated

Chris


BC

--
"Aaah....another pointless day when I've achieved nothing."
Bender, Futurama.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-27-2011, 09:29 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 17:26 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 27/03/2011 14:29, chris wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
> > This is a back up machine that I have configured with Ubuntu 10.4.2.
> >
> > It is dual boot with windows xp
> >
> > Under ubuntu, I can not get a higher screen resolution than 1040x768.
>
> But you don't say what resolution you get with XP :-) .
>
1600x1200, which is the native resolution for this monitor

> I have 3 ViewSonic lcds and each working perfectly at its native
> resolution. Which ViewSonic model do you have?
>
Have to look it up, and too late at night for now
> How do you have them connected to the card- analog cable or digital cable?
>
analog

> And which nVidia card do you have (and which driver for it do you have
> installed)?
>
It is an early agp8. series Geforce 400

> > I am using a viewsonic lcd screen with a native resolution of 1600x1200.
> >
> > Nothing I have tried, googled, or downloaded in the way of nvidia
> > drivers will allow a higher resolution
> > Any ideas thoughts etc greatly appreciated
> >
> > Chris
>
> BC
>
> --
> "Aaah....another pointless day when I've achieved nothing."
> Bender, Futurama.
>
>




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default screen resolution

On 27/03/2011 20:29, chris wrote:

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 17:26 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 27/03/2011 14:29, chris wrote:

Hi,
I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
This is a back up machine that I have configured with Ubuntu 10.4.2.

It is dual boot with windows xp

Under ubuntu, I can not get a higher screen resolution than 1040x768.

But you don't say what resolution you get with XP :-) .


1600x1200, which is the native resolution for this monitor


I have 3 ViewSonic lcds and each working perfectly at its native
resolution. Which ViewSonic model do you have?


Have to look it up, and too late at night for now

How do you have them connected to the card- analog cable or digital cable?


analog


And which nVidia card do you have (and which driver for it do you have
installed)?


It is an early agp8. series Geforce 400


Umm, you haven't quite answered the question..... under
System>Administration>Nvidia X Server Settings what is shown for your
model of ViewSonic, what is the nvidia driver being used [**] and what
is the model name of your nVidia graphics card?


[**] Did you install this driver using (1)
System>Administration>Additional Drivers or (2) did you install it
directly from the nVidia website itself?


BC


--
"Aaah....another pointless day when I've achieved nothing."
Bender, Futurama.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 16:06 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 27/03/2011 20:29, chris wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 17:26 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> >> On 27/03/2011 14:29, chris wrote:
> >>> Hi,
> >>> I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
> >>> This is a back up machine that I have configured with Ubuntu 10.4.2.
> >>>
> >>> It is dual boot with windows xp
> >>>
> >>> Under ubuntu, I can not get a higher screen resolution than 1040x768.
> >> But you don't say what resolution you get with XP :-) .
> >>
> > 1600x1200, which is the native resolution for this monitor
> >
> >> I have 3 ViewSonic lcds and each working perfectly at its native
> >> resolution. Which ViewSonic model do you have?
> >>
> > Have to look it up, and too late at night for now
> >> How do you have them connected to the card- analog cable or digital cable?
> >>
> > analog
> >
> >> And which nVidia card do you have (and which driver for it do you have
> >> installed)?
> >>
> > It is an early agp8. series Geforce 400
>
> Umm, you haven't quite answered the question..... under
> System>Administration>Nvidia X Server Settings what is shown for your
> model of ViewSonic, what is the nvidia driver being used [**] and what
> is the model name of your nVidia graphics card?
>
> [**] Did you install this driver using (1)
> System>Administration>Additional Drivers or (2) did you install it
> directly from the nVidia website itself?
>
> BC
>
>
> --
> "Aaah....another pointless day when I've achieved nothing."
> Bender, Futurama.
>
>

I will have to get back to you, as I am tied up at the moment with the
death of a close friend
regards


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 21:55 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 03/26/2011 09:50 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 16:29 +1300, chris wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
> >> This is a back up machine that I have configured with Ubuntu 10.4.2.
> >>
> >> It is dual boot with windows xp
> >>
> >> Under ubuntu, I can not get a higher screen resolution than 1040x768.
> >>
> >> I am using a viewsonic lcd screen with a native resolution of 1600x1200.
> >>
> >> Nothing I have tried, googled, or downloaded in the way of nvidia
> >> drivers will allow a higher resolution
> >> Any ideas thoughts etc greatly appreciated
> >>
> >> Chris
> > The trick with the Nvidia X-Server Settings application is on the second
> > tab (X Server Display Configuration), to write out the new configuration
> > to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It's obscure and I missed it myself for some
> > time. You can adjust and play with the setup to your heart's content,
> > but no changes are permanent until you manually save them by clicking on
> > "Save to X Configuration File". I guess that's a good thing, in case you
> > chose a setting that blows everything up. You wouldn't save it and a
> > reboot would recover to the previous state. Hope this helps. Ric
>
>
> And I could never get it to work until I ran it as root. Probably took
> me a couple of years to finally get it working ;-).

Did the OP finally get this resolved?? I JUST had something similar
happen to me. I had to crank up the nvidia x-server settings application
and set it to the resolution I wanted. Then I went back to the system
monitor config, lo and behold the selection was now there! THAT is what
it took for me, just yesterday. Worked a charm, too. I ran it as user
and when I wrote out the xorg.conf file, it dutifully asked for my
passwd for permission to write the file. Bingo. Absolutely painless. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-06-2011, 05:12 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 00:33 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 21:55 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> > On 03/26/2011 09:50 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 16:29 +1300, chris wrote:
> > >> Hi,
<snip>
> and when I wrote out the xorg.conf file, it dutifully asked for my
> passwd for permission to write the file. Bingo. Absolutely painless. Ric
>

No, I have not gotten it resolved. Health issues have gotten in the
way.
Also I suspect that the nvidea drivers are not comparable with the video
card. A geeforce fx500

Jockey wants to install the 173 driver, which then fails causes the
system to default into failsafe graphics and refuses to run x at all.

Needless to say grrrrrrrrr xp has no problem with this card, and runs at
the native resolution of 1600 x1200.

I have two systems running on this monitor, one is an hp workstation p4
with a sapphire radeon card which runs perfectly at native resolution.
Copying the simple xorg.conf across to the other system fails to make
any difference.
cheers chris


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 17:12 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 00:33 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 21:55 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> > > On 03/26/2011 09:50 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > > On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 16:29 +1300, chris wrote:
> > > >> Hi,
> <snip>
> > and when I wrote out the xorg.conf file, it dutifully asked for my
> > passwd for permission to write the file. Bingo. Absolutely painless. Ric
> >
>
> No, I have not gotten it resolved. Health issues have gotten in the
> way.

I spent last week in a hospital in Richmond VA, looking for a blood
clot. The good news is that I don't have any. The bad news is that there
SHOULD be one, for my right foot toes to start turning black. Diabetes
is a royal bitch. Too bad I didn't have my computer with me, as I was
just loaded and giggling with Percoset. I had a great time with the
nurses, though. I hit the panic button on the MRI. You can't keep me
inside that sausage stuffer. Oh hell no... they would have to knock me
out the next time.

> Also I suspect that the nvidea drivers are not comparable with the video
> card. A geeforce fx500

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html
I'm not finding that listed here. Please check, as this list should tell
you what driver version to use. The only 500 anything I see there is for
a Quadro 500. You might peek inside your machine, and do like I do, get
a magnifying lens to read that tiny script on the video card. Even my
damn computer is getting like me, old, busted and complaining. Nothing a
young woman wouldn't fix though.

> Jockey wants to install the 173 driver, which then fails causes the
> system to default into failsafe graphics and refuses to run x at all.

Not good. Give it a Percoset and it'll behave.


> Needless to say grrrrrrrrr xp has no problem with this card, and runs at
> the native resolution of 1600 x1200.
>
> I have two systems running on this monitor, one is an hp workstation p4
> with a sapphire radeon card which runs perfectly at native resolution.
> Copying the simple xorg.conf across to the other system fails to make
> any difference.

I wish I could be of more assistance. Something is truly hammered as the
nvidia setup has, for the most part, "always worked for me <tm>". Is
Nouvou installed? I've had an occasion, back when, where it interfered
with my setup, so I have always un-installed it when it popped up in a
fresh install. Gotta have my 3D. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 AM
chris
 
Default screen resolution

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 01:49 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 17:12 +1200, chris wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 00:33 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
<snip>
>
> I wish I could be of more assistance. Something is truly hammered as the
> nvidia setup has, for the most part, "always worked for me <tm>". Is
> Nouvou installed? I've had an occasion, back when, where it interfered
> with my setup, so I have always un-installed it when it popped up in a
> fresh install. Gotta have my 3D. Ric
>
>
Good point - haven't checked that one. Hopefully will get back to it
this week.
Don't get percoset in kiwi land, or if we do by another name. Could use
that stuff
This cancer ain't fun. :-(
Thanks for pointers and will get back to you
chris


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default screen resolution

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 18:49 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 01:49 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 17:12 +1200, chris wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 00:33 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > I wish I could be of more assistance. Something is truly hammered as the
> > nvidia setup has, for the most part, "always worked for me <tm>". Is
> > Nouvou installed? I've had an occasion, back when, where it interfered
> > with my setup, so I have always un-installed it when it popped up in a
> > fresh install. Gotta have my 3D. Ric
> >
> >
> Good point - haven't checked that one. Hopefully will get back to it
> this week.
> Don't get percoset in kiwi land, or if we do by another name. Could use
> that stuff
> This cancer ain't fun. :-(

Just yell at the nurse, "PAIN PILL!" and they'll stuff you up with
something better than an aspirin, just to shut you up. <chuckles>

> Thanks for pointers and will get back to you

I hope something works for you.

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org