-   -   where could I get RHEV6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/697375-where-could-i-get-rhev6.html)

Bob McClure Jr 08-24-2012 03:59 PM

where could I get RHEV6

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:17:02PM +0800, lei yang wrote:
> where could I get RHEV6, it there a free download link, if not how
> could I get it?

If you must have real Red Hat, you must pay for it. You can get that
here <https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/catalog.html>.

If you can settle for a Red Hat clone, then you want CentOS which is
repackaged Red Hat with CentOS branding. Same stuff; different name.
Get it here: <http://www.centos.org/>. Click on the "Downloads" link
on the menu bar.

> Thanks
> Lei

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

lei yang 08-24-2012 04:25 PM

where could I get RHEV6

Thank for this info, I have another question

Q1:Is there any difference for RHEL6 and RHEV6, Is there a full name?

Q2:Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) is RHEL6 or RHEV6?

Thanks
Lei

Rick Stevens 08-24-2012 04:45 PM

where could I get RHEV6

On 08/24/2012 09:25 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:

Thank for this info, I have another question

Q1:Is there any difference for RHEL6 and RHEV6, Is there a full name?

Q2:Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) is RHEL6 or RHEV6?

The family name is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" (RHEL) and the version
6 of it is called "RHEL6". Red Hat does offer a "Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization" system, but I've never heard it referred to as "RHEV".
That doesn't mean it isn't called that, I've just never heard it.

If you're looking for just Linux and don't care about the
virtualization system, note that there really are two different
"classes" of RHEL, "desktop" and "server". You choose what you want.

To expand on what Bob said, CentOS is built from the same source code as
RHEL, but CentOS changes the branding, logos and such before

publishing. It tracks RHEL quite closely, but updates, patches and such
lag behind RHEL by as much as two weeks or so as they have to wait for
Red Hat to push out the source RPMs, then do the rebranding and such
before they can release their versions.

RHEL is a commercial product (you must purchase it) and it does come
with support. You can also purchase and/or increase the support levels.

CentOS is a community effort and is free. Note that it does NOT have
support beyond the usual mailing lists, chat rooms and such.

lei yang 08-24-2012 05:36 PM

where could I get RHEV6

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@alldigital.com> wrote:
> On 08/24/2012 09:25 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:
>
>> Thank for this info, I have another question
>>
>> Q1:Is there any difference for RHEL6 and RHEV6, Is there a full name?
>>
>> Q2:Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) is RHEL6 or
>> RHEV6?
>

> The family name is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" (RHEL) and the version
> 6 of it is called "RHEL6". Red Hat does offer a "Red Hat Enterprise
> Virtualization" system, but I've never heard it referred to as "RHEV".
> That doesn't mean it isn't called that, I've just never heard it.

Now,I'm been told install RHEV (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization)

Does RHEL6 have offered what you said "Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization" system"

now have a dvd "rhel-server-6.3-x86_64-dvd.iso: after installed it
[root@localhost lyang0]# cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago)

does this dvd fufil this “Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization”

Lei

Rick Stevens 08-24-2012 05:55 PM

where could I get RHEV6

On 08/24/2012 10:36 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:

On 08/24/2012 09:25 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:

Thank for this info, I have another question

Q1:Is there any difference for RHEL6 and RHEV6, Is there a full name?

Q2:Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) is RHEL6 or
RHEV6?

The family name is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" (RHEL) and the version
6 of it is called "RHEL6". Red Hat does offer a "Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization" system, but I've never heard it referred to as "RHEV".
That doesn't mean it isn't called that, I've just never heard it.

Now,I'm been told install RHEV (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization)

I didn't say that, Lei. I said that Red Hat has a product called "Red
Hat Enterprise Virtualization" and I also said that I've never heard
it called "RHEV".

Does RHEL6 have offered what you said "Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization" system"

now have a dvd "rhel-server-6.3-x86_64-dvd.iso: after installed it
[root@localhost lyang0]# cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago)

does this dvd fufil this “Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization”

According to their website, the Desktop system appears to permit one
simultaneous guest OS. The Server system permits from 1 to 4
simultaneous guests, depending on what you subscribed for. The
Virtualization package lets you run as many guest OSes as you have
cores, less one (for the hypervisor itself). Look for yourself:

http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux/desktop/compare.html

Check the links under "See also" to see the various options. The ISO
image you have is Server, so you can have from one to four guest
instances, once you subscribe to their support channels (and remember,
you must pay for that).

CentOS (free, remember), lets you do what the "Virtualization" package
does (as many guests as your hardware will support). You don't get
support, however.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
- -
- First Law of Work: -
- If you can't get it done in the first 24 hours, work nights. -

lei yang 08-24-2012 06:16 PM

where could I get RHEV6

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@alldigital.com> wrote:
> On 08/24/2012 10:36 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@alldigital.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 08/24/2012 09:25 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:

>>> The family name is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" (RHEL) and the version
>>> 6 of it is called "RHEL6". Red Hat does offer a "Red Hat Enterprise
>>> Virtualization" system, but I've never heard it referred to as "RHEV".
>>> That doesn't mean it isn't called that, I've just never heard it.
>>>

>> Now,I'm been told install RHEV (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization)
>

> I didn't say that, Lei. I said that Red Hat has a product called "Red
> Hat Enterprise Virtualization" and I also said that I've never heard
> it called "RHEV".

Thanks for this info, can I see "Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization"
is part of RHEL6 or RHEL6 DVD contains "Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization"

Lei

Rick Stevens 08-24-2012 06:22 PM

where could I get RHEV6

On 08/24/2012 11:16 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:

[...]

It will be a restricted form of the virtualization system, one to four
guests, depending on what you sign up for.

jjk 09-24-2012 09:50 PM

where could I get RHEV6

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 09:45:30AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 08/24/2012 09:25 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:
> >Q1:Is there any difference for RHEL6 and RHEV6, Is there a full name?
> >Q2:Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) is RHEL6 or RHEV6?

##> deleted some Rick Stevens valuable wisdom to keep this short.

> CentOS is a community effort and is free. Note that it does NOT have
> support beyond the usual mailing lists, chat rooms and such.

There may be paid support available for Centos from various Centos
experts. You would have to contact the individuals directly
by asking in the mailing list or contacting them in IRC.
the IRC channel is on freenode, channel name "#centos"

--
Jeff Kinz; Digitial Futures Institute, extending technology to truly
enable practice of medicine for the first time, To instantiate truly

FACORC Thoughts:

― Neil deGrasse Tyson:

“The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you
look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are
sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life
recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own
meaning, they generate their own motivation. For me, I am driven by two main
philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen
the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. We are all
connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest
of the universe atomically. The more I learn about the universe, the less
convinced I am that there's any sort of benevolent force that has anything to
do with it, at all.”

Neil may not realize that he is the exemplar of how humanity
is its own benevolent force, and thats why we are here. :-D Jeff.