-   -   Root login fails when using serial dialup modem (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/6937-root-login-fails-when-using-serial-dialup-modem.html)

"Bill Jones" 11-28-2007 03:11 AM

Root login fails when using serial dialup modem

I'm trying to help someone configure their filesystems using remote
dialup but the root user login fails when I try to login after the modem
answers and provides the login prompt. I have ttyS0 in the
/etc/securetty file. RHEL 4 is the s/w version in question. It says
invalid login when I attempt root login. The same login and p/w works
from the system console. Does anyone have ideas what is causing the
login to fail?

Thanks,
Bill

Rick Stevens 11-28-2007 05:59 PM

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 23:11 -0500, Bill Jones wrote:
> I'm trying to help someone configure their filesystems using remote
> dialup but the root user login fails when I try to login after the modem
> answers and provides the login prompt. I have ttyS0 in the
> /etc/securetty file. RHEL 4 is the s/w version in question. It says
> invalid login when I attempt root login. The same login and p/w works
> from the system console. Does anyone have ideas what is causing the
> login to fail?

The first things to check are /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure to
see what's going on. Specifically, verify that the tty being presented
to login is, indeed, /dev/ttyS0. Sometimes the name gets mogrified
(e.g. shows up as /dev/modem or some such nonsense).

You should also check to see if you have an /etc/usertty file. If you
do, check the content and verify there aren't any extra access
restrictions set up.

"Bill Jones" 11-29-2007 11:34 AM

Root login fails when using serial dialup modem

Thanks for the reply Rick.

There wasn't a usertty file and securetty did indeed have /dev/ttyS0 as
an entry. We got around the issue by creating a user and then su to root
after successfully logging in via the modem.

Again, thanks for taking time to reply.

Rick Stevens 11-29-2007 05:47 PM

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 07:34 -0500, Bill Jones wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Rick.
>
> There wasn't a usertty file and securetty did indeed have /dev/ttyS0 as
> an entry. We got around the issue by creating a user and then su to root
> after successfully logging in via the modem.

Ah, /etc/securetty should NOT have the "/dev/" bit in it...just "ttyS0".
The "/dev/" bit is assumed.

> Again, thanks for taking time to reply.

No problem.

- -
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
- ...once. -