Old 04-01-2008, 08:58 AM
"John Dunn"

Default Newtwork adaptor speed

How do I tell what
is the best speed to set teh network adaptor to
*
I have a Dell
PowerEdge 2900 and by default it is set to 100 Full Duplex
*
*
*

John
Dunn

Product Consultant

Sefas Innovation Limited

Direct Dial + 44 (0) 117 373 6122

www.sefas.com

Sefas Innovation Ltd, CityPoint, Temple Gate, Bristol BS1
6PL, UK. Tel: +44 (0) 117 373 6114 Fax: +44 (0) 117
373 6115

Sefas
Innovation Limited.*
Registered
No: 3769761 England.* Registered
Office: One New Street, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2LA, United Kingdom.* VAT Registration No: GB 741 5377
32

Unless stated to be non-confidential, this email and any
attachments are private and confidential and are for the addressee only. Sefas
monitors e-mails to ensure its systems operate effectively and to minimize the
risk of viruses. Whilst Sefas has taken reasonable steps to scan this email, it
does not accept liability for any virus that may be contained in it.

Internet communications are not 100% secure and as such
Sefas is not responsible for their abuse by 3rd parties, nor for any alteration
or corruption in transmission.

*
*

Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM
"Waldher, Travis R"

You need to
know what the switch is set to.

*

If the switch
is auto – your network card should be set to auto.

If the switch
is 100/Full – your network card should be set to 100/Full.

*

If it’s
gigabit, several switches out there will only do auto to detect that.

*

Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Rick Stevens

John Dunn wrote:

How do I tell what is the best speed to set teh network adaptor to

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 and by default it is set to 100 Full Duplex

95% of all network cards will autodetect just fine, so I'd recommend
putting it in autodetect mode. I've used a TON of 2950s and very rarely
had an issue with autodetect.

There are SOME switches (usually really cheap ones) that won't play nice
with autodetect, in which case you make sure the NIC and the switch are
set to the same thing. Personally, I'd chuck the el cheapo switch and
get something decent. Autodetect isn't that hard and if it can't do it,
I'd wonder what else is marginal in it (collision detection, layer 2
routing, ARPs and a host of other stuff).