-   -   atime, ctime, mtime, what time? (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/61498-atime-ctime-mtime-what-time.html)

gerrynix 03-28-2008 06:00 PM

atime, ctime, mtime, what time?

What changes need to occur to affect each time on a file or directory?
So far I have:

Atime:
read a file
modify the permissions
modify the ownership
create new file

Ctime:
modify the permissions
modify the ownership
modify the first level of contents of a directory
create new file

Mtime:
modify the contents of a file
create new file

This is based of the googling and limited testing I have done.

Which begs a question, wiki, for what it's worth, states that if a
permission or ownership change is made that both the atime and ctime
will be modified. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stat_(Unix)

How can a ctime be newer than an atime?

Thanks,
Travis

Interesting... I changed permissions on a file just now, that hadn;t been touched in a few days. ctime was updated but not atime or
mtime.* * $ find . -ctime -1 -print | grep filename The file was reported $ find . -atime -1 -print | grep filename The file was not reported same as above for mtime