-   -   Restoring Old System (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/61195-restoring-old-system.html)

Al Sparks 03-27-2008 07:56 PM

Restoring Old System

I'm trying to restore an older system from bare metal.

So what I do is install RHEL, install the backup client (netvault), and proceed to restore, but exclude /etc and /boot from the restore.

After the restore, I can't get a X-Windows display.

What else should I exclude from the restore?
=== Al

McCarty Ronald 03-27-2008 08:45 PM

Restoring Old System

Al,
I'm actually wondering if you aren't getting something that you need by the exclude? *I'm thinking some configuration was done to the X-Windows that has since been forgotten.
I would focus in on keeping the /etc/X11 directory (although I'm not heavy into X windows...usually just install and take the defaults...)
--ron

On Mar 27, 2008, at 3:56 PM, Al Sparks wrote:I'm trying to restore an older system from bare metal.

Al Sparks 03-27-2008 09:20 PM

Restoring Old System

By exclude, I didn't restore anything in those directories.

I didn't overwrite anything in the /etc directory (which includes
/etc/X11) or the /boot directory (where the kernels reside).
** === Al

McCarty Ronald 03-27-2008 09:47 PM

Restoring Old System

Oh. *I misunderstood. *The issue comes up after the restore?
If you don't get a direct answer to the question, I would try an approach to identify what has been overwritten...either from the restore process or writing a script to compare files before and after.
Another option might be to do a complete restore on another drive or boot from floppy or CD if you can get the restore program on some external media.

--ron
Ronald McCarty
mccarty@YourNetGuard.com

Your Net Guard LLC
3526 Lakeview Pkwy Ste B#164
Rowlett, TX *75088

http://www.YourNetGuard.com/
214-257-8629
On Mar 27, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Al Sparks wrote:By exclude, I didn't restore anything in those directories.

Rick Stevens 03-27-2008 10:16 PM

Restoring Old System

Al Sparks wrote:

I'm trying to restore an older system from bare metal.

So what I do is install RHEL, install the backup client (netvault), and proceed to restore, but exclude /etc and /boot from the restore.

After the restore, I can't get a X-Windows display.

What else should I exclude from the restore?

It would help if you could be a bit more specific about "can't get an
X-Windows display", such as error messages or more detail about what
happens.

Remember that X went from XFree86 to Xorg between RHEL 3 and 4, so if
you're restoring /lib[64], /usr/lib[64] and things of that nature, you
may be stomping on the Xorg stuff you need to make it go. In fact, it's
entirely likely you're stomping on LOTS of the system and I'm somewhat
amazed it even boots up since your kernels, applications, libraries and
such are fairly interdependent.

Ideally, backups should back up everything, but you should only
restore that which you need such as /home, /usr/local, /opt and things
where you know your applications expect them.

Another option is for you to boot up the new bare metal off one of the
many live CD distributions out there (Fedora comes to mind) and use that
to do the restore to get a functional system again. Note that it'll be
the old RHEL version.

Once that's done, boot the newly functional system and do an upgrade to
the new RHEL you want. That way you have all the old stuff you had AND
get the new RHEL.

It's just a thought (and I've done it before).