Old 03-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Al Sparks

Default Booting off of the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES-disc1.iso

I downloaded the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES* ISO files, and burned the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES-disc1.iso to a CD.

I attempted to boot off of it and it simply doesn't.

I used Windows Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7, using the Copy -> Burn Image option.

What am I doing wrong?
=== Al

Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Bob McClure Jr

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:21:36AM -0700, Al Sparks wrote:
> I downloaded the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES* ISO files, and burned the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES-disc1.iso to a CD.
>
> I attempted to boot off of it and it simply doesn't.

What does it do or say?

> I used Windows Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7, using the Copy -> Burn Image option.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
> === Al

Mount the CD or look at it with Windoze, depending on what's
available. If you see a single file, RHEL4.6-ia64-ES-disc1.iso, then
you didn't burn it as an ISO image. You now have a coaster. :-)
Check the docs on your burning software to see how to burn an ISO
image.

On the other hand, if you see several directories and files, then it
would appear to be burned correctly. Then check your BIOS to make
sure that it will boot the CD drive ahead of the hard drive.

If the problem is still not identified, give us some more symptoms
such as error messages and any other clues.

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Al Sparks

Never mind. I was testing the disk on a 32 bit laptop. When I went
to the datacenter and used the Dell PE 1950 to boot off of, it worked.
=== Al

Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
McCarty Ronald

Al,Do you have your computer's BIOS set up to boot from CD ROM? *Typical settings are boot order and activating the CD ROM as bootable.If these settings are correct, maybe run a checksum on the downloaded ISO. *You'll need an md5 program that does checksums and then compare it to the one that RedHat provides on the download page. *If the checksums do not match it means the download did not work correctly (not that uncommon actually).What does the computer do when it doesn't work? *Does it report a particular error, boot an existing OS, etc.?
--ron
Ronald McCarty
mccarty@YourNetGuard.com

Your Net Guard LLC
3526 Lakeview Pkwy Ste B#164
Rowlett, TX *75088

http://www.YourNetGuard.com/
214-257-8629
On Mar 24, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Al Sparks wrote:I downloaded the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES* ISO files, and burned the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES-disc1.iso to a CD.