Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 PM
"Waldher, Travis R"

Default X11 forward root over SSH

I have an install routine that brings up a GUI, the routine of course requires root access to do the work.
*
I can SSH in to a box using my credentials, su to root, but X11 is blocking transmission back to my computer because I am root.
X connection to localhost:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
*
Is there a way to get a root owned X window to pop up, WITHOUT having access to the Xauthority file associated with my userid that I used to initially login to the system?* (home directory is NFS mounted, no root access)
*
Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Bob McClure Jr

Hi Travis,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:46:42PM -0700, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> I have an install routine that brings up a GUI, the routine of course requires
> root access to do the work.
>

> I can SSH in to a box using my credentials, su to root, but X11 is blocking
> transmission back to my computer because I am root.
>
> X connection to localhost:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>

> Is there a way to get a root owned X window to pop up, WITHOUT having access to
> the Xauthority file associated with my userid that I used to initially login to
> the system? (home directory is NFS mounted, no root access)

Try this before you su to root:

xhost localhost

> Thanks

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 PM
"Waldher, Travis R"

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:46:42PM -0700, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> I have an install routine that brings up a GUI, the routine of course
> requires root access to do the work.
>

> I can SSH in to a box using my credentials, su to root, but X11 is
> blocking transmission back to my computer because I am root.
>
> X connection to localhost:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>

> Is there a way to get a root owned X window to pop up, WITHOUT having
> access to the Xauthority file associated with my userid that I used to
> initially login to the system? (home directory is NFS mounted, no
> root access)

Try this before you su to root:

xhost localhost

> Thanks

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com
"A fondness for power is implanted, in most men, and it is natural to abuse it, when acquired."
— Alexander Hamilton, the first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury and
coauthor of the Federalist Papers. From The Farmer Refuted, 1775

xhost access control is disabled:

access control disabled, clients can connect from any host