Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Red Hat Install (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/)
-   -   Remove ehci_hcd (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/551697-remove-ehci_hcd.html)

Rick Stevens 07-12-2011 08:04 PM

Remove ehci_hcd
 
On 07/12/2011 11:40 AM, redhat@buglecreek.com wrote:
> I would like to prevent ehci_hcd from loading at boot. Doing a modprobe
> -r will remove the module, but it re-appers when rebooted. I could put
> the command in rc.local, but I would rather not. I have tried the
> following things, but it always gets loaded at boot:
>
> Added "blacklist ehci_hcd" /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> Tried "alias ehci_hcd off" to modprobe.conf
> Tried "inistall ehci_hcd /bin/true" to modprobe.conf
> I'm seems to be getting loaded with the initrd.img file. I see the
> module directories when I mount the image to loop. I tried creating a
> new initrd.img, but I havn't been able get the ehci_hcd module to not
> show up in the newly created initrd.

It would help if we knew what version of the OS you're running.
Assuming something like RHEL 5.6, then you should remove what you did
before. Next you should add "blacklist ehci_hcd" to the end of the
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" file. Then remove the module from the
running system via:

# modprobe -r ehci_hcd

Finally, you need to rebuild the initrd image. This is usually done by:

# cd /boot
# mkinitrd -fv initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

Reboot and that should do it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@nerd.com -
- AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
- -
- Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers? No? GOOD! -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

07-12-2011 08:59 PM

Remove ehci_hcd
 
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:04 -0700, "Rick Stevens" <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2011 11:40 AM, redhat@buglecreek.com wrote:
> > I would like to prevent ehci_hcd from loading at boot. Doing a modprobe
> > -r will remove the module, but it re-appers when rebooted. I could put
> > the command in rc.local, but I would rather not. I have tried the
> > following things, but it always gets loaded at boot:
> >
> > Added "blacklist ehci_hcd" /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> > Tried "alias ehci_hcd off" to modprobe.conf
> > Tried "inistall ehci_hcd /bin/true" to modprobe.conf
> > I'm seems to be getting loaded with the initrd.img file. I see the
> > module directories when I mount the image to loop. I tried creating a
> > new initrd.img, but I havn't been able get the ehci_hcd module to not
> > show up in the newly created initrd.
>
> It would help if we knew what version of the OS you're running.
> Assuming something like RHEL 5.6, then you should remove what you did
> before. Next you should add "blacklist ehci_hcd" to the end of the
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" file. Then remove the module from the
> running system via:
>
> # modprobe -r ehci_hcd
>
> Finally, you need to rebuild the initrd image. This is usually done by:
>
> # cd /boot
> # mkinitrd -fv initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
>
> Reboot and that should do it.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers? No? GOOD! -
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Redhat-install-list mailing list
> Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
> To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
> redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
> Subject: unsubscribe
>

Sorry, meant to give RH version of 5.6. I had done the steps you
outlined above and the initrd created still loads the ehci module.
Removing the module and then doing a lsmod comfirms that it is unloaded.
Created the initrd again using the verbose switch as you suggested and
I see:

Looking for deps of module ehci-hcd
Using modules:
/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko
(among others)
copy from
`/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko'
[elf32-i386] to `/tmp/initrd.wb7347/lib/ehci-hcd.ko' [elf32-i386]
Adding module ehci-hcd

I did a strace as well, but I can seem to see why it continues to load
the module in the new initrd. I even tried using "blacklist ehci-hcd"
(instead of blacklist ehci_hcd) in all the /etc/modprobe.d/ blacklist
files and no change.

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

Rick Stevens 07-13-2011 05:59 PM

Remove ehci_hcd
 
On 07/12/2011 01:59 PM, redhat@buglecreek.com wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:04 -0700, "Rick Stevens" <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
>> On 07/12/2011 11:40 AM, redhat@buglecreek.com wrote:
>>> I would like to prevent ehci_hcd from loading at boot. Doing a modprobe
>>> -r will remove the module, but it re-appers when rebooted. I could put
>>> the command in rc.local, but I would rather not. I have tried the
>>> following things, but it always gets loaded at boot:
>>>
>>> Added "blacklist ehci_hcd" /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
>>> Tried "alias ehci_hcd off" to modprobe.conf
>>> Tried "inistall ehci_hcd /bin/true" to modprobe.conf
>>> I'm seems to be getting loaded with the initrd.img file. I see the
>>> module directories when I mount the image to loop. I tried creating a
>>> new initrd.img, but I havn't been able get the ehci_hcd module to not
>>> show up in the newly created initrd.
>>
>> It would help if we knew what version of the OS you're running.
>> Assuming something like RHEL 5.6, then you should remove what you did
>> before. Next you should add "blacklist ehci_hcd" to the end of the
>> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" file. Then remove the module from the
>> running system via:
>>
>> # modprobe -r ehci_hcd
>>
>> Finally, you need to rebuild the initrd image. This is usually done by:
>>
>> # cd /boot
>> # mkinitrd -fv initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
>>
>> Reboot and that should do it.
>
> Sorry, meant to give RH version of 5.6. I had done the steps you
> outlined above and the initrd created still loads the ehci module.
> Removing the module and then doing a lsmod comfirms that it is unloaded.
> Created the initrd again using the verbose switch as you suggested and
> I see:
>
> Looking for deps of module ehci-hcd
> Using modules:
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko
> (among others)
> copy from
> `/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko'
> [elf32-i386] to `/tmp/initrd.wb7347/lib/ehci-hcd.ko' [elf32-i386]
> Adding module ehci-hcd
>
> I did a strace as well, but I can seem to see why it continues to load
> the module in the new initrd. I even tried using "blacklist ehci-hcd"
> (instead of blacklist ehci_hcd) in all the /etc/modprobe.d/ blacklist
> files and no change.

You're correct, the actual name of the driver is "ehci-hcd.ko". It
wouldn't hurt to have both "ehci_hcd" and "ehci-hcd" in blacklist. My
guess is that there is another driver that requires ehci_hcd and THAT'S
what's causing it to be loaded. I don't know if blacklist is consulted
in that case.

While the module's loaded, do a "lsmod" and look to see if there's
anything in the "Used by" column for ehci_hcd. Note that it can also
be loaded by things such as hidden drivers (pata_generic loading libata
even though pata_generic isn't actually being used) or UIs such as
Gnome (for adaptive technologies and the like). These can be difficult
to sort out.

When I start thinking about this, unless the module is causing issues or
you're really tight on memory there's really no reason to try to get
rid of it. It's not that big (30K or so) and it won't hurt anything
having it in the kernel.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@nerd.com -
- AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
- -
- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

07-13-2011 08:17 PM

Remove ehci_hcd
 
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:59 -0700, "Rick Stevens" <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2011 01:59 PM, redhat@buglecreek.com wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:04 -0700, "Rick Stevens" <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
> >> On 07/12/2011 11:40 AM, redhat@buglecreek.com wrote:
> >>> I would like to prevent ehci_hcd from loading at boot. Doing a modprobe
> >>> -r will remove the module, but it re-appers when rebooted. I could put
> >>> the command in rc.local, but I would rather not. I have tried the
> >>> following things, but it always gets loaded at boot:
> >>>
> >>> Added "blacklist ehci_hcd" /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> >>> Tried "alias ehci_hcd off" to modprobe.conf
> >>> Tried "inistall ehci_hcd /bin/true" to modprobe.conf
> >>> I'm seems to be getting loaded with the initrd.img file. I see the
> >>> module directories when I mount the image to loop. I tried creating a
> >>> new initrd.img, but I havn't been able get the ehci_hcd module to not
> >>> show up in the newly created initrd.
> >>
> >> It would help if we knew what version of the OS you're running.
> >> Assuming something like RHEL 5.6, then you should remove what you did
> >> before. Next you should add "blacklist ehci_hcd" to the end of the
> >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" file. Then remove the module from the
> >> running system via:
> >>
> >> # modprobe -r ehci_hcd
> >>
> >> Finally, you need to rebuild the initrd image. This is usually done by:
> >>
> >> # cd /boot
> >> # mkinitrd -fv initrd-`uname">initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
> >>
> >> Reboot and that should do it.
> >
> > Sorry, meant to give RH version of 5.6. I had done the steps you
> > outlined above and the initrd created still loads the ehci module.
> > Removing the module and then doing a lsmod comfirms that it is unloaded.
> > Created the initrd again using the verbose switch as you suggested and
> > I see:
> >
> > Looking for deps of module ehci-hcd">ehci-hcd
> > Using modules:
> > /lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd">ehci-hcd.ko
> > (among others)
> > copy from
> > `/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd">ehci-hcd.ko'
> > [elf32-i386] to `/tmp/initrd.wb7347/lib/ehci-hcd">ehci-hcd.ko' [elf32-i386]
> > Adding module ehci-hcd">ehci-hcd
> >
> > I did a strace as well, but I can seem to see why it continues to load
> > the module in the new initrd. I even tried using "blacklist ehci-hcd">ehci-hcd"
> > (instead of blacklist ehci_hcd) in all the /etc/modprobe.d/ blacklist
> > files and no change.
>
> You're correct, the actual name of the driver is "ehci-hcd">ehci-hcd.ko". It
> wouldn't hurt to have both "ehci_hcd" and "ehci-hcd">ehci-hcd" in blacklist. My
> guess is that there is another driver that requires ehci_hcd and THAT'S
> what's causing it to be loaded. I don't know if blacklist is consulted
> in that case.
>
> While the module's loaded, do a "lsmod" and look to see if there's
> anything in the "Used by" column for ehci_hcd. Note that it can also
> be loaded by things such as hidden drivers (pata_generic loading libata
> even though pata_generic isn't actually being used) or UIs such as
> Gnome (for adaptive technologies and the like). These can be difficult
> to sort out.
>
> When I start thinking about this, unless the module is causing issues or
> you're really tight on memory there's really no reason to try to get
> rid of it. It's not that big (30K or so) and it won't hurt anything
> having it in the kernel.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate -
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
Normally I wouldn't worry about unloading the module, but in this case
it's logging a lot of errors on this particular server. We don't need
it, so until we figure out if we have a hardware issue we just unloaded
it.

"Used by" column is 0, so it seems that nothing is using it, unless as
you said something hidden is causing it. Looking at the strace output
it appears that the blacklist is consulted:

read(3, "ehci
">blacklist-compat
blacklist-ehci
"..., 128) = 85

I have the blacklist statements in /etc/modpobe.d/blacklist-ehci. I
also tried putting them in blacklist.conf as well. Very strange that
mkinitrd insists on loading the module in the new initrd image (see
above for mkinitrd output). As a long shot (grasping) I thought maybe
it was module dependency issue. So I moved ehci-hcd ran depmod and
re-ran mkinitrd, same results. I'll continue to look at this, If I find
anything out I post.

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

08-03-2011 04:39 PM

Remove ehci_hcd
 
After removing the module did you run a ‘depmod –a’?
*
*
*
*
_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.