Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 PM
"Esquivel, Vicente"

Default Fdisk and filesystems

Can anyone tell me
if it is a must that you do fdisk on a newly presented**SAN lun or can
you skip that step and just create the file system on the entire*lun device
using "mkfs -t ext3", on a linux server?
*
Thanks
*

Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 PM
"Karl Pearson"

On Fri, February 8, 2008 8:37 am, Esquivel, Vicente wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if it is a must that you do fdisk on a newly
> presented SAN lun or can you skip that step and just create the file
> system on the entire lun device using "mkfs -t ext3", on a linux server?

If you haven't created the partitions, then you must use fdisk first. At the
least, I would recommend you run it against the disk to see if anything is
there, and if so, what type it is. If it's not ready for an ext3 filesystem,
you're going to have some interesting events happen.

Good luck,

Karl

> Thanks

Karl L. Pearson
karlp@ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
the people who are evil, but because of the people who
don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Rick Stevens

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 09:37 -0600, Esquivel, Vicente wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if it is a must that you do fdisk on a newly
> presented SAN lun or can you skip that step and just create the file
> system on the entire lun device using "mkfs -t ext3", on a linux
> server?

It isn't absolutely necessary. You must use fdisk if you want to create
and use partitions on the SAN volume (e.g. "mke2fs -j /dev/sdx1"). If
you intend to use the whole thing you can put the filesystem on the
device (e.g. "mke2fs -j /dev/sdx") and there's no need for fdisk.

I might recommend you label the filesystem as well (use the "-L name"
option).