Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Default timeout on dialing

how does one increase the timeout on dialing in sendfax?
i am trying to send a fax, the fax on the other rings 4 times, handshaking is
started, then sendfax disconnects with an error 10. (no carrier). this is
iritating.

also using the network configuration utiltity from redhat, my internet dialer
dies from inactivity while i am reading a webpage. how to stop this.

tia

tyche

Old 02-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Rick Stevens

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 12:44 -0500, tyche@ica.net wrote:
> how does one increase the timeout on dialing in sendfax?
> i am trying to send a fax, the fax on the other rings 4 times, handshaking is
> started, then sendfax disconnects with an error 10. (no carrier). this is
> iritating.

This isn't sendfax doing this, it's your modem. You need to tell your
modem to wait for more rings. This is one of the "AT" commands (I don't
remember which it is...look it up). Add that command to the modem init
string for sendfax.

> also using the network configuration utiltity from redhat, my internet dialer
> dies from inactivity while i am reading a webpage. how to stop this.

Increase the hangup timeout and enable the "Restart if connection fails"
options in the "Advanced" tab. I don't use dialup myself, but these
seem to be the most likely things to try.

- -
- "People tell me I look at the dark side. That's not true. I have -
- the heart of a small boy......in a jar right here on my desk." -
- -- Stephen King -

Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 AM

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 13:30, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 12:44 -0500, tyche@ica.net wrote:
> > how does one increase the timeout on dialing in sendfax?
> > i am trying to send a fax, the fax on the other rings 4 times,
> > handshaking is started, then sendfax disconnects with an error 10. (no
> > carrier). this is iritating.
>
> This isn't sendfax doing this, it's your modem. You need to tell your
> modem to wait for more rings. This is one of the "AT" commands (I don't
> remember which it is...look it up). Add that command to the modem init
> string for sendfax.

will look it up. got the book for it somewhere

> > also using the network configuration utiltity from redhat, my internet
> > dialer dies from inactivity while i am reading a webpage. how to stop
> > this.
>
> Increase the hangup timeout and enable the "Restart if connection fails"
> options in the "Advanced" tab. I don't use dialup myself, but these
> seem to be the most likely things to try.

thanks, will give it a try.