Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Johan Scheepers

Default new to redhat

Good day,

I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.
Done some home work on google.
Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.

Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
distros.

May need some assistance along the redhat way.

Regards
Johan

Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Matty Sarro

Welcome! RH9 is a touch old, you may want to look into getting a newer
version of A) centOS or B) fedora. Cent is free (as in beer and speech) and
is basically the same thing as RH minus the brandings and support. Fedora is
actually created by red hat as their test bed for new features, so when the
features make it into Red Hat enterprise they can have a few years of
vetting by the community to ensure that they're robust and mature.

-Matty

Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM
cliff here

Yep, I will second that. You won't find much support for RH9, try Fedora13
or 14, or Centos

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net>wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.
> Done some home work on google.
> Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.
>
> Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
> distros.
> May need some assistance along the redhat way.
>
> Regards
> Johan

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Bob McClure Jr

Hi Johan,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 08:28:37PM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.

Umm, why? RH 9 is extremely antique and no longer supported. That
means you can't get any security (or any other) updates for it and
will be vulnerable to crackers. Furthermore, if you machine is very
recent, it may not support the hardware very well.

> Done some home work on google.
> Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.

I've no experience with either of those.

> Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
> distros.
> May need some assistance along the redhat way.

If you want to mess around with Red-Hat-ish distros, you want either
Fedora (version 14 is just out) <http://fedoraproject.org/> or CentOS
(v5.5 is current, and v6 will be out soon) <http://www.centos.org/>.
Fedora is the cutting edge trial area for what will become a real Red
Hat release. CentOS is the free variant of the current Red Hat, and
is nearly exactly like RH except for the branding and (of course)
support.

If you are new to Linux, especially if coming from Windoze, you might
want to consider Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/> which is a derivative
of Debian, but is geared more for the Windoze escapee. It has more
recent stuff than CentOS, but more stable, and for the most part, Just
Works.

All three distros mentioned can be set up to auto-update, so that you
always have the latest and most secure stuff.

> Regards
> Johan

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Why those particular versions? RH is old and no longer supported. If you want a "free" community-based distro, Fedora.

CentOS for "RH clonne".

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Matty Sarro wrote:
> Welcome! RH9 is a touch old, you may want to look into getting a newer
> version of A) centOS or B) fedora. Cent is free (as in beer and speech)
> and is basically the same thing as RH minus the brandings and support.
Fedora
> is actually created by red hat as their test bed for new features, so when
> the features make it into Red Hat enterprise they can have a few years of
> vetting by the community to ensure that they're robust and mature.

Yeah, I went up from RH9 (shrike) about 4 years ago. Fedora... to call a
spade a spade, fedora is bleeding edge, not leading edge. 14 beta *seems*
to be working ok on the one box I've put it on, but I *HATED* FC13 - same
workstation, all kindsa problems. And it crashed with kernel panics
several times in the 3-4 months it was on it.

mark

Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Rick Stevens