Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Rick Stevens

Default new to redhat

On 11/17/2010 12:03 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:

On 11/17/2010 07:38 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

On 11/16/2010 12:10 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:

On 16/11/2010 21:21, Rick Stevens wrote:

On 11/16/2010 10:28 AM, Johan Scheepers wrote:

Good day,

I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.

Red Hat 9 went end-of-life about four years ago, Johan. You really
need to go with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.5 or 6.0.

CentOS is also a good bet, as it's built from Red Hat's source RPMs and
is, essentially, identical (except for some branding, logos, etc.).
The kicker is...it's free! The only caveat is that there's a bit of a
lag between any updates from Red Hat and having them appear on CentOS
(as the CentOS gang has to grab the source code, change the branding
and stuff and rebuild them).

Done some home work on google.
Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.

Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
distros.

The "experimental hamster" for Red Hat is called "Fedora". That's
where all the heavy development is done. The latest RHEL 6 is based on
Fedora 12. The previous RHEL 5 was based on Fedora 6. The current
Fedora release is Fedora 14 (just came out a few weeks ago) and there
are still some teething pains with it.

If you want the latest, get Fedora 14. Depending on your level of pain
tolerance, you may want to go with the more stable Fedora 13. If you
want TRUE stability, stick with RHEL or CentOS.

May need some assistance along the redhat way.

I've been using all of them for about 15 years and I can help if
needed.
I'm also an assistant sysop for this forum, but you'll find me on the
Fedora user's list (users@lists.fedora.org) or the Fedora test list
(test@lists.fedora.org).

Thanks.
Busy downloading fedora 14 iso for cd.
subscribed to users and laptop.

Great! Now remember, Fedora 14 is absolute bleeding edge stuff. You
may have some stability issues, bugs and other things going on with
it as it is actively being developed. For that reason, you should grab
the LiveCD version first, burn it to a CD and boot it.

When running from that CD you can play with Fedora, test it out and see
if it's what you're looking for and are comfortable with. If it is,
you CAN install a full-up F14 (Fedora 14) using the Web and that CD.
If you stick with Fedora, then yes, I'd join the Fedora list. Lots of
Fedora people over there and absolutely gobs of help available from
them.

If you need stability and reliability, then go for either RHEL5 or 6
or the free CentOS versions. CentOS 5 is out, CentOS 6 soon will be
(once the CentOS boffins get a chance to change the branding on the
Red Hat source code).

Welcome to the fold! As someone once said, "It's a great life once
you've weakened."

Downloaded fedora 14 live.
Installed with one problem, samsung printer not installed.
After updating, tried the printer again and it installed.
mp3 playing not possible. Maybe there is a work around?

MP3 support isn't inherent in Fedora or Red Hat due to patent licensing
issues. You have to install some plugins. As the root user:

# yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly
# yum install audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3

The first is for Rhythmbox or Totem (gstreamer) players (which is what
installs by default). The second is if you use the Audacious player.

I love the graphics.

Good! And welcome to Fedora!
- -
- Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting -
- medicated for it. -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com) -

Old 11-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Johan Scheepers

MP3 support isn't inherent in Fedora or Red Hat due to patent licensing
issues. You have to install some plugins. As the root user:

# yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly
# yum install audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3

The first is for Rhythmbox or Totem (gstreamer) players (which is what
installs by default). The second is if you use the Audacious player.

Good day,

According to yum above packages does not excist.

Say "nothing do do"

johan]# yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding en_US to language list
Setting up Install Process
No package gstreamer-plugins-ugly available.
Error: Nothing to do

johan]# yum install audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding en_US to language list
Setting up Install Process
No package audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3 available.
Error: Nothing to do

Maybe it needs more info?

Regards
Johan

Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Bob McClure Jr

Hi Johan,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 05:51:01AM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 10:58 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >MP3 support isn't inherent in Fedora or Red Hat due to patent licensing
> >issues. You have to install some plugins. As the root user:
> >
> > # yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> > # yum install audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3
> >
> >The first is for Rhythmbox or Totem (gstreamer) players (which is
> >what installs by default). The second is if you use the Audacious
> >player.
> Good day,
>
> According to yum above packages does not excist.
>
> Say "nothing do do"
>
> johan]# yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding en_US to language list
> Setting up Install Process
> No package gstreamer-plugins-ugly available.
> Error: Nothing to do
>
> johan]# yum install audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding en_US to language list
> Setting up Install Process
> No package audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3 available.
> Error: Nothing to do
>
> Maybe it needs more info?

Needs another repo. Sorry, it's not set up out of the box. Go here
<http://rpmfusion.org/> and click on the link "For users: Enable RPM
Fusion on your system." You will be given directions that will add
the RPMFusion repos to your system. Then the above yum commands will
work.

> Regards
> Johan

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

Nice catch, Bob. Yeah, I forgot about enabling rpmfusion. I do it so
often I forget that others don't necessarily know about it.

See, Johan? We Fedora Folk are friendly sods. And we make mistakes,
too. Some more than others (jabbing a thumb at myself). :-)

Old 11-19-2010, 12:37 AM
"Karl Pearson"

On Tue, November 16, 2010 12:01 pm, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> Hi Johan,
>
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 08:28:37PM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.
>
> Umm, why? RH 9 is extremely antique and no longer supported. That
> means you can't get any security (or any other) updates for it and
> will be vulnerable to crackers. Furthermore, if you machine is very
> recent, it may not support the hardware very well.
>
>> Done some home work on google.
>> Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.
>
> I've no experience with either of those.
>
>> Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
>> distros.
>> May need some assistance along the redhat way.
>
> If you want to mess around with Red-Hat-ish distros, you want either
> Fedora (version 14 is just out) <http://fedoraproject.org/> or CentOS
> (v5.5 is current, and v6 will be out soon) <http://www.centos.org/>.
> Fedora is the cutting edge trial area for what will become a real Red
> Hat release. CentOS is the free variant of the current Red Hat, and
> is nearly exactly like RH except for the branding and (of course)
> support.
>
> If you are new to Linux, especially if coming from Windoze, you might
> want to consider Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/> which is a derivative
> of Debian, but is geared more for the Windoze escapee. It has more
> recent stuff than CentOS, but more stable, and for the most part, Just
> Works.

Rather than ubuntu, I would, and haven't been disappointed, recommend
Linux Mint, which has 2 versions: 1. Ubuntu-based, and 2. Debian-based.

#2 is more like Fedora, other than being more stable.

If you are into tinkering, you might also try Slackware. It's a very
different beast from .RPM or .DEB distros, but gives some great learning
opportunities. Well, that and some pain, as Rick mentioned.

Karl
primarily a lurker

> All three distros mentioned can be set up to auto-update, so that you
> always have the latest and most secure stuff.
>
>> Regards
>> Johan
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
> bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com
> If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the
> new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
--Benjamin Franklin
---
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---
Linux: Because A PC is a terrible thing to waste...
---

Old 11-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Johan Scheepers

#2 is more like Fedora, other than being more stable.

If you are into tinkering, you might also try Slackware. It's a very
different beast from .RPM or .DEB distros, but gives some great learning
opportunities. Well, that and some pain, as Rick mentioned.

Karl
primarily a lurker

> All three distros mentioned can be set up to auto-update, so that you
> always have the latest and most secure stuff.
>

>> Regards
>> Johan

> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.

Being a pensionar..Yes I am in to tinkering..keeping upstairs in condition.

Waiting for slackware by post.

Once I have .. with the help of kind list members.. centos running will
be looking in the other stuf.

Appreciate your suggestions

Regards
Johan