Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Johan Scheepers

Default new to redhat

On 16/11/2010 21:21, Rick Stevens wrote:

On 11/16/2010 10:28 AM, Johan Scheepers wrote:

Good day,

I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.

Red Hat 9 went end-of-life about four years ago, Johan. You really
need to go with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.5 or 6.0.

CentOS is also a good bet, as it's built from Red Hat's source RPMs and
is, essentially, identical (except for some branding, logos, etc.).
The kicker is...it's free! The only caveat is that there's a bit of a
lag between any updates from Red Hat and having them appear on CentOS
(as the CentOS gang has to grab the source code, change the branding
and stuff and rebuild them).

Done some home work on google.
Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.

Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
distros.

The "experimental hamster" for Red Hat is called "Fedora". That's
where all the heavy development is done. The latest RHEL 6 is based on
Fedora 12. The previous RHEL 5 was based on Fedora 6. The current
Fedora release is Fedora 14 (just came out a few weeks ago) and there
are still some teething pains with it.

If you want the latest, get Fedora 14. Depending on your level of pain
tolerance, you may want to go with the more stable Fedora 13. If you
want TRUE stability, stick with RHEL or CentOS.

May need some assistance along the redhat way.

I've been using all of them for about 15 years and I can help if needed.
I'm also an assistant sysop for this forum, but you'll find me on the
Fedora user's list (users@lists.fedora.org) or the Fedora test list
(test@lists.fedora.org).
- -
- If this is the first day of the rest of my life... -
- I'm in BIG trouble! -

Thanks.
Busy downloading fedora 14 iso for cd.
subscribed to users and laptop.
Regards
Johan

Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Matty Sarro

No problem! There are some fedora lists out there along side of the red hat
list (all of them can be found here:
applicable to both, however any of the fringe features in fedora would be
best served by a fedora list. The main fedora mailing list is fedora-list.
If you decide to dabble with centOS too, basically all of the features
should be the same as mainstream RH.

Hopes that helps.
-Matty

Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Tip:- Run fedora from a live CD so that you can try it out on the fly without installing it.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Bob McClure Jr

Hi Johan,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 09:48:55PM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> On 16/11/2010 21:01, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> >Hi Johan,
> >
> >On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 08:28:37PM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> >>Good day,
> >>
> >>I have ordered some RH 9 cd's.
> >Umm, why? RH 9 is extremely antique and no longer supported. That
> >means you can't get any security (or any other) updates for it and
> >will be vulnerable to crackers. Furthermore, if you machine is very
> >recent, it may not support the hardware very well.
> >
> >>Done some home work on google.
> >>Some knowledge of debian squeeze and opensuse 11.3.
> >I've no experience with either of those.
> >
> >>Being a pensionar I do have the time to fiddle around with different
> >>distros.
> >>May need some assistance along the redhat way.
> >If you want to mess around with Red-Hat-ish distros, you want either
> >Fedora (version 14 is just out)<http://fedoraproject.org/> or CentOS
> >(v5.5 is current, and v6 will be out soon)<http://www.centos.org/>.
> >Fedora is the cutting edge trial area for what will become a real Red
> >Hat release. CentOS is the free variant of the current Red Hat, and
> >is nearly exactly like RH except for the branding and (of course)
> >support.
> >
> >If you are new to Linux, especially if coming from Windoze, you might
> >want to consider Ubuntu<http://www.ubuntu.com/> which is a derivative
> >of Debian, but is geared more for the Windoze escapee. It has more
> >recent stuff than CentOS, but more stable, and for the most part, Just
> >Works.
> >
> >All three distros mentioned can be set up to auto-update, so that you
> >always have the latest and most secure stuff.
> >
> >>Regards
> >>Johan
> >
> >Cheers,
> Good day,
>
> What can I say. Due to ignorance.

We all get time for learning.

> Starting to download Fedora 14 iso for cd.
>
> Should I join a Fedora list or is this correct?

The Fedora list would be better.

> Thanks to all that responded.
> Regards
> Johan

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Johan Scheepers

[...]

Thanks Matty.
Already subscribed to fedora users and laptop.
Johan

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Johan Scheepers

Tip:- Run fedora from a live CD so that you can try it out on the fly without installing it.

That is what I am downloading.
Thanks
Johan

Old 11-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Abhilash abhi

Hi,
I also suggest Fedora 14. You can download the latest iso and install..
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

----

Tip:- Run fedora from a live CD so that you can try it out on the fly without installing it.

redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com

*

That is what I am downloading.

Thanks

Johan

redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com

Abhilash

Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

Great! Now remember, Fedora 14 is absolute bleeding edge stuff. You
may have some stability issues, bugs and other things going on with
it as it is actively being developed. For that reason, you should grab
the LiveCD version first, burn it to a CD and boot it.

When running from that CD you can play with Fedora, test it out and see
if it's what you're looking for and are comfortable with. If it is,
you CAN install a full-up F14 (Fedora 14) using the Web and that CD.
If you stick with Fedora, then yes, I'd join the Fedora list. Lots of
Fedora people over there and absolutely gobs of help available from
them.

If you need stability and reliability, then go for either RHEL5 or 6
or the free CentOS versions. CentOS 5 is out, CentOS 6 soon will be
(once the CentOS boffins get a chance to change the branding on the
Red Hat source code).

Welcome to the fold! As someone once said, "It's a great life once
you've weakened."

Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Johan Scheepers

[...]

Downloaded fedora 14 live.
Installed with one problem, samsung printer not installed.
After updating, tried the printer again and it installed.
mp3 playing not possible. Maybe there is a work around?
I love the graphics.
Regards
Johan

Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Mp3 support not included due to liscencing issues. You can add an additional repositary, like livna to get that. Cannot provide a URL from this sucky phone but the "docs on how to do this are out there".
/sys/john == /dev/blackberry