-   -   using boot floppy (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/44733-using-boot-floppy.html)

02-01-2008 03:33 PM

using boot floppy

background: i have a customer who has forgotten their passwords and havent
used the machine in a couple of months. because of various other problems,
grub is NOT co-operating to put the customer into single user mode. i am
sending a boot floopy for the FC2 system that i sent her. (some piece of
hardware doesnt want to work for anything above that.) when i installed the
system, i used the pxe boot and tftp for the initial boot as the internal
cdrom port doesnt work.

the machine will only boot from an internal cdrom, internal floppy, internal
hardrive or an external usb floppy.

the plan is: a boot floppy, edit the grub.conf to force the machine into
single user mode.

what is the command line for the boot floppy?

tia

tyche

Rick Stevens 02-01-2008 05:09 PM

using boot floppy

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 11:33 -0500, tyche@ica.net wrote:
> background: i have a customer who has forgotten their passwords and havent
> used the machine in a couple of months. because of various other problems,
> grub is NOT co-operating to put the customer into single user mode.

Huh? I find that very difficult to believe unless there's a grub
password set that they also have forgotten. All they need to do is:

1) Boot

2) When grub displays its menu, hit any key (I use the spacebar)

3) Use the arrow keys and scroll down to the kernel they're booting

4) Hit "E"

5) Use the arrow keys and scroll to the "kernel=" line

6) Go to the end of that line and add " single" (a space and the word
"single") to the end of the line. You can use the "END" key on the
keyboard to get to the end of the line or use the right arrow.

7) Hit "ENTER" to save the change

8) Hit "B" and the system should boot to single user mode

Note that this only works for this boot cycle as no changes were made to
the grub.conf file.

> i am
> sending a boot floopy for the FC2 system that i sent her. (some piece of
> hardware doesnt want to work for anything above that.) when i installed the
> system, i used the pxe boot and tftp for the initial boot as the internal
> cdrom port doesnt work.
>
> the machine will only boot from an internal cdrom, internal floppy, internal
> hardrive or an external usb floppy.
>
> the plan is: a boot floppy, edit the grub.conf to force the machine into
> single user mode.

Again you don't need to edit grub.conf, just do what I describe above
off the normal hard disk boot.

> what is the command line for the boot floppy?
>
> tia
>
> tyche

02-01-2008 06:24 PM

using boot floppy

On Friday 01 February 2008 13:09, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 11:33 -0500, tyche@ica.net wrote:
> > background: i have a customer who has forgotten their passwords and
> > havent used the machine in a couple of months. because of various other
> > problems, grub is NOT co-operating to put the customer into single user
> > mode.
>
> Huh? I find that very difficult to believe unless there's a grub
> password set that they also have forgotten. All they need to do is:
>
> 1) Boot
>
> 2) When grub displays its menu, hit any key (I use the spacebar)
>
> 3) Use the arrow keys and scroll down to the kernel they're booting
>
> 4) Hit "E"

thought it was "A" for append ==))
> 5) Use the arrow keys and scroll to the "kernel=" line
>
> 6) Go to the end of that line and add " single" (a space and the word
> "single") to the end of the line. You can use the "END" key on the
> keyboard to get to the end of the line or use the right arrow.
>
> 7) Hit "ENTER" to save the change
>
> 8) Hit "B" and the system should boot to single user mode
>
> Note that this only works for this boot cycle as no changes were made to
> the grub.conf file.

thanks, will call them back, and will try again.

tyche