Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 AM
"blann"

Default add a package F12

Dear List,
* Forgive dumb request: On doing a F12
install, I thought that I had checked 'dial-up'
for internet. I do not however seem to find any
software into which I might insert a phone#
for this. So the thought to use* Yum or RPM to
add from the installation DVD (and xmgrace
if it is available). One problem is, I don't know
the actual name of the dial-up software.
Then how to use YUM to add an unknown? Any chance
that it is already loaded and lurking,
but I just don't where to look (on the installed
system)?
* Thanks for any suggestions on this-*
Marshall Blann

Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Ted Potter

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM, blann <blann@gte.net> wrote:

Dear List,
* Forgive dumb request: On doing a F12
install, I thought that I had checked 'dial-up'
for internet. I do not however seem to find any
software into which I might insert a phone#
for this. So the thought to use* Yum or RPM to
add from the installation DVD (and xmgrace
if it is available). One problem is, I don't know
the actual name of the dial-up software.
Then how to use YUM to add an unknown? Any chance
that it is already loaded and lurking,
but I just don't where to look (on the installed
system)?
* Thanks for any suggestions on this-*
Marshall Blann

here is a link that may be what you want.*http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-configure-modem-to-connect-to-the-internet-using-a-ppp-dialup-account.html

the program is called wvdial. I am assuming you need do use PPP via a dial up
modem connection.
hth--
Ted Potter
tpotter@techmarin.com
"the measure is effort."

Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Rick Stevens

Forgive dumb request: On doing a F12 install, I thought that I had checked 'dial-up'
for internet. I do not however seem to find any software into which I might insert a phone#
for this. So the thought to use Yum or RPM to add from the installation DVD (and xmgrace
if it is available). One problem is, I don't know the actual name of the dial-up software.
Then how to use YUM to add an unknown? Any chance that it is already loaded and lurking,
but I just don't where to look (on the installed system)?
Thanks for any suggestions on this- Marshall Blann

Most networking stuff is handled by NetworkManager. Go to
System->Preferences->Network Connections and fill in the blanks.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 PM
"Dennis Calhoun"

Rick,
How is he supposed to do that when the operating system is not yet
installed?

Blann,
Welcome to the completely illogical world of Linux. None of the naming
conventions have any USER PERTINENT common sense logic at all.

Dennis ---> left Linsux long ago and doesn't care if he gets removed
herefrom.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:18 PM
"blann"

Dennis, my poor communication:I installed the F12 OS without a hitch. On
using it, I could not find
what turns out is still the WVDIAL software on my other computer running
FC6. I went thru a suggested
system-preferences- add or delete software (if I recall sequence correctly)
on my F12 system, and got a box.
I entered wvdial in the 'find' line, and it brought up a description of
wvdial software. Since there was no evidence
of it on my desktop, nor could I bring it up when using email software and
vlicking on 'send', I clicked on the
install/remove option. I think it removed it, because thereafter if I typed
'wvdial' into the find box, it reported
nothing found. I'll pursue further a web-link provided by Ted P. which gives
instructions on wvdial install.

As usual, the group has been very helpful, andI appreciate it. Sorry that I
was unclear on install of OS.

Marshall

Old 09-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Ted Potter

[...]

Ah, shucks. From The Man Who Once Was Master of uucico ! (Hi Rick!)

*

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Calhoun" <dcalhoun@blomand.net>

redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com