Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 AM
"Karl Pearson"

Default Lost FC6 Partition (was This is just amazing...not)

On Mon, September 6, 2010 9:53 am, blann wrote:
> Aloha Karl,
> Below some answers I may have failed to make in text ( and thanks for
> your
> input):

If you are seeing Grub, then you aren't booting from a Live CD, which you
would have to do to use the disk tools necessary to see what partitions
can be found.

I suspect, sadly, that your FC6 partition was over-written by the Ubuntu
install.

>>> Is there a way to repair or replace what I am assuming is a damaged
>>> mbr/grub
>>> loader due to having
>>> turned off a hung up XP with AC button?
>>
>> as I wrote above: fdisk /mbr
> FDISK sounds like what I may have used years ago to repartition; is it on
> disk 1 of my FC6
> install?

I doubt it. FC6 wasn't a live CD. You can use fdisk from any version of
Linux to see the partition table, however, and that may be what you need
to do.

Just run Ubuntu and run fdisk as root (sudo fdisk should work). If you
have more than one hard disk in the PC, you will want to run it against
each disk to see what partitions.

FC6 defaulted to ext3, I believe (that may have been FC8???). Rick will
know for sure, as well as a few others on this list. It's been a while
since I happened on an FC6 install to check.

In any case, I would recommend that if you are going to use a multiple-OS
PC, that you get a new hard disk for each OS, unless you know you'll be
using one very sparingly. If that's the case, just run that OS in
VirtualBox and be done with it. That's how I run XP at work and home. I
think I boot them up about once a week, or less.

>>> I have, via generosity of an active member of the group, an FC12 set of
>>> install disks; have hesitated
>>> running this for fear I would overwrite /home directory, whereas the FC
>>> Bible advises that simple
>>> re-install of FC6 should not do this.
>>> Any comments greatly appreciated! Thanks- Marshall

You can always download new ISOs from any distributions downloads page,
and burn them to DVDs or CDs and take them for a test drive. I use CentOS
and FC9 on my servers, and Linux Mint (a derivative of Ubuntu, without all
the restrictions) for my desktops and laptop.

Karl

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

It was I who sent a bunch of CDs to you, Blann. And you sent me return
postage. Not at all necessary, but kudos to you!

Anyway, FC6 defaults to ext2 filesystems and, if you used logical
volumes, LVM1. A live CD of a more current system may not see your

items because of that (FC8 and later went to ext3 and LVM2).

If you have a CD of FC6, try booting that in rescue mode and see if it
spots your FC6 installation. If it does, let it mount it (it'll be
mounted at /mnt/sysimage). You can then "chroot /mnt/sysimage" and
try to reinstall grub to your MBR at that point. Note that this will
screw up your existing MBR, so back that up before doing this. To
back up the MBR, put some removable, writable media in your machine
somewhere and copy the first block of your boot drive to it using dd:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/path/to/removable/media/mbr.bak bs=512 count=1

If you can't find appropriate bootable FC6 media, (rummaging through my
stock of CDs and HD archives of ISO images), I have copies of every
Fedora release. To be honest, several I only have DVD images of some
of them, but I can make copies and shoot them to you as I did before.

- -
- Trying to make digital files uncopyable is like trying to make -
- water not wet. -- Bruce Schneier -

Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 AM
landon kelsey

lost access?* Create a Fedora version on a DVD and boot to it
then you may be able to access your "lost" files

OR even after chroot /mnt/sysimage, look for the files and copy to
*some medium or maybe even ftp

WOW Haven't done FORTRAN since the early 90s

Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 AM
landon kelsey

ooops! I meant create a fedora version on a flash drive and boot to it